#22 Irving ‘MO22IE’ Mosquito

If he handles himself really well in the VFL I’m also sure he’ll get games, but part of that will also be how he handles himself physically.

And both the player and the games doesn’t move at the same pace, it’s significantly easier to protect yourself

Two words: Alwyn Davey.

When he began to carve up defenders and apply tackling pressure, other teams began to target him for extra heavy hits, to slow him down and make him think twice about the way he played. He didn’t change his approach, but the heavy hits took their toll on his smaller, lighter frame. While the hits weren’t illegal, it was an all too obvious tactic plenty of teams used to lessen his influence. l would not like to see Mozzie end up the same way. He is going to need some bigger bodies, doing some blocking for him, but he will also be hit and hit hard, take that as a given.

7 Likes

Nah, not a good comparison, has massive hips and ■■■■ which gave him great power and ability to break a tackle (think David Calthorpe). He also dominated in the u18s champs.

Pay the other comparisons though

fair enough.

I still get excited thinking about him torching GWS & Hawthorn with 4 goals apiece.

If some scrubber(no disrespect Bags) kicked 4 on us Blitz would crash.

Exactly the type of player you want bobbing up for goals to send the ferals into a meltdown.

2 Likes

I remember in the 80’s we had a great little player named Terry Cahill. Great skills and no lack of desire for the contest, but he had no idea how to handle himself in a collision and had to retire prematurely after a number of concussions and big hits.

I don’t want that to happen to Mo22ie by being thrown in the deep end too early

7 Likes

Yep.

There’s plenty of reasons to suspect a player might not be ready to step up yet.

There’s also the 2017 Langford style where he was just expecting to have half a step more time than he actually did.
Fanta when he played in his first couple of years struggled to get near it.

But you never really know.

There’s also the opposite, Gleeson, still looks too small!

1 Like

Not sure why having a massive d*** has anything to do with it?

2 Likes

When did you last see him?

2 Likes

Yep, Geelong were very proud of themselves when they broke his arm. The taking out of Alwyn (and Hird?) won them that game.

2 Likes

I get the average size.

There’d also usually be at least half the team made of senior AFL listed players playing in the aligned sides in VFL.

Dunno. Just not sure its that much a safer place for him. A better place to learn, more practice, tougher conditions - all that i get.

And derailed our season, ending sheedy’s tenure

I was thinking about stamina, not size.

1 Like

Let the kid get his VCE, work on his game, and only play him if we really need too. Mozzie is the future not the present. There’s no rush.

10 Likes

If we’re talking about 2007 that game didn’t end his tenure at the club. P Jackson was on the hunt early Jan and eventually got his man…

Sheedy to stand down at season’s end

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy will remain at the helm of the club until the end of the season despite being told his current contract will not be renewed next year.

Sheedy announced his decision in front of a packed media conference at the club’s Windy Hill headquarters at midday.

Sheedy, who has coached the Bombers for 27 years, was given the option to stand down immediately but decided he would see out the end of the season with the Bombers in finals contention.

An Essendon board meeting on Monday night voted in favour of not renewing Sheedy’s current contract, which expires at the end of this season, and the decision was relayed to the coach on Tuesday.

Sheedy told the assembled media he had been discussing his future with chief executive Peter Jackson since January, and said “the time was right” to move on.

“Peter and I have been discussing it since about probably late January,” he said.

“I think we discussed it up on a seminar on about January 31 and we discussed whether Hirdy (veteran player James Hird) and I should really go out at the same time.”

Sheedy was not critical of the decision, and said he was not bitter at the board.

“It’s not a mistake or a correct decision, just one of those you have to make,” he said.

He said he would remain in football in the coming years, and refused to rule out coaching another AFL club in the future.

With eight wins and eight losses so far this season, the Bombers are still in finals contention, sitting in 10th place on the competition ladder.

Sheedy becomes the fourth AFL coach to be shown the door this season, following Neale Daniher (Melbourne), Chris Connolly (Fremantle) and this week Denis Pagan (Carlton).

With several clubs in the market for a new coach next season, the Bombers wanted to announce Sheedy’s departure early to give themselves the best chance of securing a top-line coach for 2008.

The 59-year-old has coached a club record 629 games since taking up the post in 1981, following a decorated 251-game career as a player for Richmond which included three premierships.

He trails only legendary Collingwood mentor Jock McHale on the all-time coaching list, and earlier this season overtook McHale’s record for the most number of games as a player and coach.

Sheedy said he would like to remain involved with the game in some capacity next year.

“I’ll be in footy somewhere, obviously, and enjoying myself,” he said.

“Assisting areas in footy or either coaching in different areas, or writing, or I might have an exciting website. I mean, everything’s going that way isn’t it?”

Sheedy has coached the Bombers to four premierships, the most recent of which came in 2000 when Essendon lost just one match all season and downed Melbourne in the grand final.

The Bombers were widely tipped to make it back-to-back flags in 2001 after finishing the home-and-away season as minor premiers, but lost to Leigh Matthews’ Brisbane side in the decider.

The Lions would go on to win three consecutive flags, while the Bombers began a steady decline which culminated with them finishing 15th last season.

Federal Treasurer and Essendon’s number one ticketholder, Peter Costello, said

Sheedy’s departure at the end of the season would represent the end of an era.

“He’s taken Essendon to four premierships, he’s been one of the greatest characters of the game,” he said.

“He’s done something like 27 years and he’ll be hard to replace.”

Posted Wed 25 Jul 2007, 11:19 AM AEST

1 Like

Why is he not favourite for the Rising Star? Another draft failure. Dodoro has to go.

My recollection though is that it only became certain once our finals possibilities were pretty remote. The Geelong game was in May ish and really dented our prospects as the fall out flowed into the next month.

Yeah, the round 14 loss to the Cats put the breaks on their season (5 losses at that stage) with Essendon only winning 2 more for the year. One of those wins was the round 17 game against the Crows, a couple of days after the announcement.

Still think the timing of the decision was poor (because Essendon wanted access to the best available coach!) and ultimately undermined the teams performance / output.

And ended up with our reserves coach anyway. I remember going to the crows game. That was a good win that left the door slightly ajar.

I have never left the footy as angry and sad as I did after the Richmond game a few weeks later.