Former #22 Matthew Leuenberger

You can’t blame everyone in the team for losing. Just the few that catch your eye at random moments where you continually watch for errors hence forth.

If there's one thing Disco knows, it's talls.
Well, as long as they stay injury free. Unlike Pears, Gumby, D Daniher. But when you think what we've got, how Brown and Hartley look, and then at players we've "lost" like Jenkins, Crameri, Ryder, Richards - then yes, he's damn good with the talls.

Of course.

Pears was well on the way to being a gun prior to injury. Gumby and D-Dan unfortunately never got a real run at it.

You also throw in Tbell who was a PSD pick. Hooker with Pick 54, Buckets at pick 24.

Disco knows his stuff.

No doubt his tap work has been really good, but I would really love to see him take a mark around the ground. I just dont see him influencing enough marking contests around the ground. Especially the long down the line kick out of the backline. I think he really needs to give us more as a senior player.
Not everyone is going to be Todd Goldstein unfortunately.

Leuenberger is exceeding all expectations so far.

He did that when he managed to stay on the field!

Unless his disposal improves, he’s a liability around the ground. So there are definitely caveats on his performance to date.

Seriously, anyone sticking the boots into luey at this point should be made to watch the entire 2015 season back to back with their eyes taped open.

I don’t recommend you try that by the way peos

Seriously, anyone sticking the boots into luey at this point should be made to watch the entire 2015 season back to back with their eyes taped open.

Particularly McKernan trying to compete in the Ruck against Goldstein !

Giles.
Did that happen ?

The same people hanging ■■■■ on Looneyberger were probably howling for Giles to be put into the side last season.

He’s seriously good. When we are pushing for the flag next year, a fit Luey might be the difference.

Well, as long as they stay injury free. Unlike Pears, Gumby, D Daniher. But when you think what we've got, how Brown and Hartley look, and then at players we've "lost" like Jenkins, Crameri, Ryder, Richards - then yes, he's damn good with the talls.

But the one’s you mentioned were all very talented, they just didn’t work out because of injuries, being a flog or weren’t given game time.

Who out of all those had only average talent in your opinion?

I was being tongue in cheek. :wink: Of course he couldn’t predict those injuries!

Talls are hard, yet his hit rate is pretty damn good. A lot of the misses are due to injury, or weren’t particularly high picks so always long odds. Guys like Neagle, Still, Johns, Gregory, Lucy all cost 3rd round picks or worse. Cartledge and Lee were the only two second rounders, but both outside the top 25 picks. His “worse” tall picks in terms of high picks would probably be Bolton and Bradley, but both still made 100 games. Bradley was picked in an absolute rubbish draft and was near as good as available, and Bolton I’m not 100% sure Dodorro was in charge (1997 draft, was that Judkins?).

With the top picks, I can’t think of another non-injury failure. Guys like Laycock, Pears, Jacobs, Gumby were all (mostly) failures due to injuries. Ryder, Hurley, Carlisle and J. Daniher were the other top 25 picks he used on talls, and all have been successes.

But with mid-range picks he got players like Hille, Richards, Jacobs, and with later picks he got Hooker, Bellchambers, Jenkins and Crameri. I know that’s over 15+ years, but a rate of one top level tall from mid-late picks every 2-3 drafts (more if not for injuries) isn’t shabby at all.

Dodoro didn’t want Bradley but Sheedy overruled him. Sheeds thought he was going to be a superstar, Jackets wasn’t convinced. Jackets deserves great credit with his next pick - Stanton, who was a super get in what you quite rightly called a rubbish draft.

But the one’s you mentioned were all very talented, they just didn’t work out because of injuries, being a flog or weren’t given game time.

Who out of all those had only average talent in your opinion?

I was being tongue in cheek. :wink: Of course he couldn’t predict those injuries!

Talls are hard, yet his hit rate is pretty damn good. A lot of the misses are due to injury, or weren’t particularly high picks so always long odds. Guys like Neagle, Still, Johns, Gregory, Lucy all cost 3rd round picks or worse. Cartledge and Lee were the only two second rounders, but both outside the top 25 picks. His “worse” tall picks in terms of high picks would probably be Bolton and Bradley, but both still made 100 games. Bradley was picked in an absolute rubbish draft and was near as good as available, and Bolton I’m not 100% sure Dodorro was in charge (1997 draft, was that Judkins?).

With the top picks, I can’t think of another non-injury failure. Guys like Laycock, Pears, Jacobs, Gumby were all (mostly) failures due to injuries. Ryder, Hurley, Carlisle and J. Daniher were the other top 25 picks he used on talls, and all have been successes.

But with mid-range picks he got players like Hille, Richards, Jacobs, and with later picks he got Hooker, Bellchambers, Jenkins and Crameri. I know that’s over 15+ years, but a rate of one top level tall from mid-late picks every 2-3 drafts (more if not for injuries) isn’t shabby at all.

Dodoro didn’t want Bradley but Sheedy overruled him. Sheeds thought he was going to be a superstar, Jackets wasn’t convinced. Jackets deserves great credit with his next pick - Stanton, who was a super get in what you quite rightly called a rubbish draft.

Interesting, I’ve never even heard a rumour of that. Who did Dodoro want? Because Stanton was (I think) the next actual success out of that draft anyway. Or did he just want to take Stanton earlier?

I was really worried about his Achilles injury during the preseason, which hampered his start.
But since he has resumed he has improved with every game.
Zaka, Zerrett & parish would love his work.

And I bet Watson, Stanton, Myers, Colyer would love having a good tap ruckman to rove.
That signing of Leuy is critical for the 12 to extend their contracts and Danihers position as our No1 forward.
Im glad I haven’t had to watch Daniher play ruck, risking injury.

I was really worried about his Achilles injury during the preseason, which hampered his start. But since he has resumed he has improved with every game. Zaka, Zerrett & parish would love his work.

And I bet Watson, Stanton, Myers, Colyer would love having a good tap ruckman to rove.
That signing of Leuy is critical for the 12 to extend their contracts and Danihers position as our No1 forward.
Im glad I haven’t had to watch Daniher play ruck, risking injury.

Not sure where this “Risk getting injured in the ruck” myth came from.

The way he’s getting mugged, tunnelled & thumped in the FWD line atm,… he’d be much safer in there. Much.

A full season on the park and a full preseason could see him dominate the Comp next year. As a tap ruckman his is awesome as a roaming ruckman very few can go with his running power when fully fit.

Doesn’t get around the ground well enough, delist.

Giles. Did that happen ?
Giles, or Gilesy as he was fondly known, should be making his debut for West Coast this week.
Giles. Did that happen ?
Giles, or Gilesy as he was fondly known, should be making his debut for West Coast this week.

Buffy auto-like.

A full season on the park and a full preseason could see him dominate the Comp next year. As a tap ruckman his is awesome as a roaming ruckman very few can go with his running power when fully fit.
He's definitely got a lot of upside, and is having a big impact at the ruck contests now.

Coaching staff don’t seem to be too worried about his workload. Would’ve thought with his preseason you’d give him some more help in the ruck.