Former #22 Matthew Leuenberger

He’s a good cover for when Joey has to play forward.

3 Likes

Wet day and 11 of our guys had 2 or less tackles, big Looney had 6!
Only 1 behind Tippa for the most Essendon tackles. He can look unco at times but I can never question his endeavour or will to win. To come out on top of Grundy is pretty darn good

7 Likes

Going into the game many people, myself included would have marked down Grundy as one area where the Pies had an edge over us. He has been in ripping form and was touted on here recently as the best young ruck in the league. Leuny handled him well, and eclipsed him on the day.

I would still rest him for this week. Why? Short turn around, wet ground, his injury history. TBC has been tearing it up ih the VFL recently, strike while he is in red hot form and the Dees ruck division is depleted. If not this week, the week after as he mentioned that when he was at Bris all the flying didn’t help his hammies.

3 Likes

You’d like to see more involvement around the ground but his efforts in his primary role are pretty good. Seems to run reasonably hard defensively which is good. Get 20 goals out of him for the year and you’d be well pleased.

[quote=“Diggers, post:471, topic:2917, full:true”]
You’d like to see more involvement around the ground but his efforts in his primary role are pretty good. Seems to run reasonably hard defensively which is good. Get 20 goals out of him for the year and you’d be well pleased.
[/quote]20?

We’d be lucky to get 5

3 Likes

20 is achievable.

But is it realistic?

He’s 0.0 for the year and only kicked 30 goals in his career.

2 Likes

He did play most of his career at Brisbane and I’m an optimist.

20 goals? No chance!

He was really good yesterday IMO. Not the stats, but at the ground it was obvious he was cracking in. Scragging, diving, tackling, throwing his body around. All the things that don’t show up as stats or on the TV. But saying that, the 5 day break may mean Bell in for him, and it makes sense.

It will be interesting to see who Melbourne goes with as their ruck option, but I wouldn’t play both of ours and run the risk of being too tall and not mobile enough.

2 Likes

20 goals would be possible if he played forward or rested forward. But he rests on the bench from what I can gather.

Has he taken a contested mark?

I’d happily swap the goals for a get out kick in option.

1x goal a game is not too much to ask from a follower.

It is when the coaching orders would be for him to stay out of those areas. Think he only had 1 touch inside either F50 or D50 which tells me he is under clear instruction to clear out of the F50 and give the forwards space. I wouldn’t mind seeing him take a few more relieving marks in the back half but I’m happy if he stays out of the forward line.

Yes it is. Especially one who never plays forward, and isn’t good at it when he does.

Who are the examples of 20 goal a year pure ruckman? Ryder did it in 2014, but Looney ain’t no Ryder.

Won the clearances against the best* midfield in the competition when we’ve consistently been average or worse in that area… A lot of it was to do Looney. His hitouts are getting better and our mids are getting better at reading him IMO.

2 Likes

Is that part of the plan? I reckon he’s told to conserve his energy by not going forward or back unless there’s a set play from 60 out (ie protect the goal line/shepherd the ball through).
Joe, Hooker, Hurley, Hartley and others take a fair proportion of forward/backline rucks as a result.

If you were worried about the attacking aspect of the role, he’s not the guy we’d turn to.

Then we are at a distinct disadvantage if he’s told to conserve energy. You do know this is AFL football yes? Its a game that requires physicality and endurance from all players yes? This isn’t basketball, Our best passages of play were when Joey took over in the centre yesterday. At least if Bellchambers was in and he went forward he’d be a threat. I love Leuey’s tap work but he needs to offer more around the ground. period.

Otherwise known as playing your position.

Sounds like baseball now.He’s a follower.