Former #22 Matthew Leuenberger

It’s pretty interesting to look at the comparison stats.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=6&type=A&pid1=2721&pid2=1722&fid1=S&fid2=S

Luey and Bellchambers are very even in terms of kicks, hitouts and contested possessions. However, Luey gets more involved in the play after the initial ruckwork, with more handballs (7.2 v 4.0), tackles (4.8 v 3.0), clearances (2.3 v 1.0) and 1%ers (3.8 v 2.0).

Bellchambers influence comes from his marking, both contested (2.0 vs 0.2) and uncontested (2.5 v 1.3), which gives him more Inside 50s (2.0 v 0.3) and Rebound 50s (1.5 v 0.7).

Luey also tends to make more mistakes - clangers (3.2 v 2.5) and DE% (64.1% v 83.3%).

It’s hard to split them. I think the club has made the right call in giving Tommy a few games in a row and challenging Luey to win back his spot.

Will struggle to find his way back into the senior side. Bellchambers is well and truly ensconced.

Ensconced is a funny word on paper.

2 Likes

But he’s the perfect standby. Especially for T-Bell that has barely seen out a year.

1 Like

They can do without Bellchambers falling over.

I agree. It is a funny word

No real chat on Luen this preseason but he is very important is a back up to Belly.

Like his agressession once the ball hits the ground, and tap work is v.good.

We will pray he is available and in form should Belly go down.

And he often does.

Really? I think his tapwork is bang average. Or our midfield horrendously inept. Both are likely.

I have him 3rd in line behind Tbell and Draper

At centre bounces he is ok. But he is a massive liability around the ground

He is one of the most unco units I’ve ever seen grace a football field.

1 Like

I like Luey but i think he’s done.

Maybe an outlier, but last night Sydney was anihilated for hitouts, but still managed to win the game.
Today its not enough to be a good tap ruckman, they have to take marks around the ground, pick up contested possessions, clearances and follow their opponent from one end of the ground to the other.

As is so often the case, long periods of injury can cloud the reality of a players ability. When I think Matthew Leunbeger I think of Pick #4, endurance beast/extra midfielder. The game and expectations of ruckman have evolved throughout and a mixture of this, plus the impact of injuries upon his development, have meant that a relatively injury-free Leuey isn’t at the standard I thought he would eventuate with a clean run at it. I feel for the bloke as it’s pretty hard to change your style of play when you barely got a chance to play your natural one to begin with.

No doubt will play a part over the next few years between Draper’s development/ThomasBeechCoomber’s injuries.

But let’s hang tight and wait to poach Sam Hayes once Fark Port get his aerobic capacity above 2x oval laps and somewhere near Paddy Ryd… I mean AFL standard.

1 Like

Draper’s not ready yet. He can barely run out a game at the moment, let alone everything else he needs to work on.

He’s got plenty of time though

I assumed he had retired at the end of last season

2 Likes

He is what he is, but with where Draper is, important nonetheless as back up.

Dont want Smack as a ruck!

Tbell hit outs 32.9, 10.9 to advantage , 47.3% won, 16.5% won to advantage clearances

Luey hit outs 33.1, 8.4 to advantage , 47.2% won, 13.6% won to advantage

Draper hit outs 21.7 too adv 6 % to advise 27.7

He’s done. Break glass in case of emergency

4 Likes

Whats Leuey’s contract status?

Hasn’t worked out the way we would have liked I don’t think.

Brought in to provide competition for belly but belly still coasts like he always has.

Sooner Draper comes on the better.

Out of contract end of this year

1 Like