Former #22 Matthew Leuenberger

One of our players actually hit someone?

Awesome!

3 Likes

in case you missed it, he was sitting in the pocket…

fixed

2 Likes

We hit a target! Unbelievable!

5 Likes

Knowing us it probably wasn’t the desired target

1 Like

A horseshit suspension, up there with the worst ever to an Essendon player with Goddard against Port in 2014.

1 Like

Yeah but watch the footage he turns around and runs away from the play to run over and help him up.

I’m not joking.

3 Likes

fkg lol, love how serious they are about it, talking about sanctions and ■■■■ while leuys like u ok m8?

1 Like

The AFL has taught me this principle regarding justice:

The retaliator is generally the one that gets punished, while the instigator gets off scott free.

1 Like

Notice the expression creeping into many sanctions as cited by Cristian.
Not, “it had potential to cause harm to the player” but “we don’t like the look of it” . Optics seems to be at the root of a lot of the AFL s motivation. That is leading the AFL to regulate into areas of a private nature, that is starting to become Cult like. When Gillon goes to the US to study scientology methods we will know it for fact.

4 Likes

It’s a real worry, and is creeping further and further into general footy talk.

1 Like

So Draper gets a gig the week?

If anyone is in any doubt that there is a different set of rules for Essendon players compared to other teams, then this should makes things perfectly clear.
Luey and Gawn come together he obviously tries to push off him to get ahead of him and hits him high. He then stops playing to go back to make sure Gawn is ok. A pure accident that didn’t cause any issue for Gawn. 1 week suspension.
Tom Mitchell elbows Goldstein from behind to his head - NOTHING.
This ■■■■ makes me sick. We just continue to accept being raped in the butthole.
My hatred for this sport grows daily purely because of the bias and contrived outcomes for everything.
Just sick of it.

5 Likes

TBell will be back.
But the good news is that Draper will be the main ruck in the VFL. Hopefully he tears it up and it stays that way until he takes over TBell in the 1’s

2 Likes

Just saw the incident. Looked to me like he got him in the chest. How this gets a week and Mitchell doesn’t is astounding.

1 Like

Nah got him high I reckon. Fair play, took the ban and moved on.

As DJR said, Draper to VFL ruck is a good thing.

Doesn’t get talked about a lot but I had Leuey as my best player for the VFL boys on the weekend, been terrific most of the year despite often having to play forward particularly with so many of our forwards going down.

Super competitive, always.

17 Likes

Getting 62 hitouts and 4 goals in the wet from the ruck + full-forward combo was awesome!

7 Likes

Any idea if he wants another year Paul?
If not at AFL level, would he sign with the VFL team for a year of VFL to continue his mentoring, especially considering that there could be another young ruck added to the mix if both him and Smack end up leaving.

I agree, I hope he stays around on either our AFL or like Budda, our VFL list.
Sammy Draper can & has learnt a lot from Leuy this year.

Took some excellent 1 grab marks on Saturday, still a dangerous forward option