Former #22 Matthew Leuenberger

Have to agree with Paul. Leuey has a had a terrific season in the VFL. Regularly one of our best players, hits the scoreboard and is taking a lot more marks this year. I’d happily see him go around again next year especially as Belly’s only realistic back up at this stage.

3 Likes

Was great on the weekend but he was double the size of Tim English and whoever that defender was. Is he still a genuine AFL level backup? I’m not sure.

The same Tim English who gave Belly a touch up when we payed them. Admittedly it was one of Belly’s few poor games this year and Belly dominated he taps but English dominated field play.

1 Like

Random useless fact Tim English and Franga were born on the same day.

He also spent a lot of the day with Tom Campbell, who is very large. They’re a terrific ruck duo the Dogs have and thought Leuey handled them very nicely with some help from Drapes.

1 Like

And Aaron speaks English and English sounds like he’s from Frankston

3 Likes

I have no idea on his plans or the list management plans, but if you asked for purely my personal thoughts I’d be super keen for him to go around again, in fact I’d say he’s got a few years left at a very high level.

The guy would be first ruck for a bunch of AFL clubs right now IMO, just happens that TBell is in career best form and we no longer play two ruckman together in the ones. Ruckman often hit their prime in their late 20’s early 30’s these days. He’s still an excellent player, and an even better person and mentor. Seeing him up close every week I’m a massive fan.

12 Likes

Don’t think we need him on the AFL list but he would be perfect retained on the VFL list, moving into coaching roles. He loves working with Draper and teaching the rucking craft and I reckon he is doing a good job with that.

2 Likes

If he does want to play on it solves a pretty big issue for us. We do need a reasonable 2nd ruck on the list. If Leuey stays it means we don’t have to recruit another.

1 Like

The same Tim English that bullied Bellchambers earlier in the season??! :wink:

1 Like

Belly could fall over next year and Leuey might win a flag. It has to be a consideration to him.

Been in great form in 2’s also.

Hopefully a win over at Port makes him rethink things. Draper not ready to be relied on.

2 Likes

I realise Gawn is a star and should be AA. Leuny’s best assets are meant to be his aerobic capacity and tap work. Leuny played against the Ds and I though Leuny couldn’t keep up with Gawn and he certainly couldn’t defend against Gawn taking marks in the F50. Maybe it was a bad day against a star player but he looked done at AFL level.

1 Like

Should be retained for another year. Draper isn’t quite ready yet and we need another competent ruck in case Bellchambers gets injured or needs a rest.

I would have thought this was one of the more obvious delistings of the bunch.

7 Likes

I’m sure he’s a great bloke, but his time with us is up

1 Like

Why?

I’d really like him stay to continue mentoring Draper.
And to provide a back up if necessary.

*also Hurley back

4 Likes

I agree we do need a viable backup in case Belly gets injured, but I think mentors are better located off the main lists and part of the development and coaching staff. I realise you continually say that Draper is not ready but he should be exposed to AFL level next year as part of his development ie Draper rather than Leuny would be the next in line to play a few games in 2019 when Belly misses a few.
That doesn’t solve the other problem you quite rightly raise which is what if Belly gets an LTI. Neither smack or Draper could carry the load over a season. I think we should rookie a 23-25 yr old ruck who has some upside rather than retaining Leuny.

1 Like

Draper seems to be improving so fast that another preseason could see him close enough to ready.

I would like us to look at another young KP/ruck in the Smack mould that could give us coverage in multiple areas. I liked the look of Sam McLarty when we played Collingwood in the VFL, can play back forward and ruck. Alternatively give Stuart and intensive coarse with the Russian over preseason.

Draper’s shortcomings aren’t really ruck related anymore. Well bar consistency. It’s what he does, or more importantly doesn’t, do when not in the ruck. This is the next stage of his development.

1 Like

Draper can be mentored by a non AFL listed Leuenberger. But of course Leuenberger can say no to being delisted then VFL listed.

I’d rather us keep McKernan as a back up ruckman.