Former #22 Matthew Leuenberger

I’d keep him one more year as insurance, give him the occasional game in the afl when belly needs a rest, but if belly went down i’d like lueny there to cover him for half a season or however long.

Will probably play this week as im hearing belly is in a sling(shoulder)

More GAWN than Max

Injury report had him as having shoulder surgery.

1 Like

out BELL
in BURGER

Injury report declared that Belly is done for the year. Probably has needed the op for a while and now we’re no mathematical hope, better off doing it now.

1 Like

Pretty imperative we keep this bloke on the list for atleast another year. Not sure Draper is quite ready yet and if Tommy goes down early in the season we will be in all sorts.

9 Likes

Yep I was thinking about this today and actually came to post exactly the same thing but you beat me to it.

Gotta keep him on, he’s a very handy backup and we know Belly has always had his injury concerns.

Agreed. Port were stuffed this year when Ryder went down.

Surely there’s s better state league option for backup. He’s done as a senior footballer. Obvious delisting for mine

4 Likes

Don’t really know his feelings but seems to me he is content playing VFL and is happy to mentor Draper. Seems like a pretty good club person and hasn’t dropped his bundle once he knew his AFL days were numbered. I’m happy for him to stay on and get the odd game as backup for Tommy and continue to mentor Draper until he is ready

9 Likes

Would be the sensible option if he wants to play on.

1 Like

I’m happy with him having another similar year next year.

1 Like

I don’t know if you can justify keeping someone on the list who is going to play 2-3 games a season unless Belly goes down with a long-term injury. A lot rests on the status of McKernan. If he signs on then he’s your #2 ruck option, and if Tommy goes down he’d be the main man in the middle, granted he isn’t going to win a great deal of hit outs but he is mobile around the ground. Belly is the clear #1, Smack the #2 and Draper the development/project player. Not sure whether another club would take a punt on Leuey. They could easily sign him as a VFL only player…

Smack is NOT the back up #1 ruck. A serviceable ruck relief, but not the main ruck.

7 Likes

Considering he dominates in the VFL that seems unlikely that there are better options available.
I agree with Aceman and Reboot about keeping him on.
At some point next year (possibly early) he’ll be ahead of Looney. But it will still be good to have the 3rd option to cover injury

I just assumed he’d ne retiring. Saw an interview this year in the vfl.post match where he basically said his body is done.

I reckon we’ll get a fair idea post match tomorrow night.

I reckon we will get an idea 5 mins into the first quarter.

2 Likes

The issue switch Looney is how much value he can bring as a backup. If he get slaughtered by a second string ruck tonight then he really isn’t a backup anymore.

Also I think we could throw Draper to the wolves a bit next year and make him fight for survival. It wouldn’t be ideal but it would give more development time him in the AFL and to Lavender in the VFL also allows us a year to sort out ruck options.

I’d happily put him as a playing coach in the VFL for another year.