Former #22 Matthew Leuenberger

Bit unlucky in some regards that JoeDan and McKernan have both been injured for large chunks of the season.

Agree we need a decent back up for T-Bell though and would be happy to keep Leuernberger for that purpose.

1 Like

If he is cheap I’d be keeping burger, we need an insurance policy for Belly In case it happens before Draper is ready.

2 Likes

In a worst case scenario Belly goes down with a season ending injury in say round 6. Do you think Looney or more importantly his body is up for rucking the rest of the season. I don’t, he would be lucky to get through a month.

If your insurance policy needs his own insurance policy. It’s not really worth it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone like Zach Clarke is being considered. Still
Young enough to provide depth and hasn’t been out of the system that long.

1 Like

I reckon Looney is 50 shades of COOKED but the fact is, the trade period has come and gone and we didn’t bring a ruckman in the door.
You’d have to think he’s a chance to stay for another year now. Unless there is a ruckman from a state league who could do a job at AFL immediately if called upon, who we have in mind to take in the draft.

I’m surprised he’s still on the list. He was interviewed on ch7 post game during the finals and basically suggested this was his final year and his focus was helping the club and getting drapes up to speed.

I was expecting we’d throw a late pick the dogs way for Roughead as a backup for belly. Clearly the club feels luey still has something to offer.

The Loonyburger is still a damn good ruckman, although he has ongoing issues with his calves and achilles. But for a guy who’s primary role is to mentor Draper, and then to maybe fill in for TBell a couple of times a year, you won’t find anyone close to his skill level for the money. Happy to keep him for another year.

17 Likes

Yep. Draper basically gets 12 months to prove that he can hold down the ruck position in the event TBC goes down. If he doesn’t do that, then we have to go out to the market to find someone who can. If he does do that, then we have a very well planned ruck hand-over for when big Belly calls it a day.

Thought he played like a man possessed in that last game vs port until he got injured. Had a presence that I hadn’t seen in him before.

8 Likes

And all year long in the VFL he actually played like that pretty consistently. He’s definitely handy back up.

5 Likes

Just got told he is going to retire.

2 Likes

That’s interesting thought another club might be interested.

Big Mummy, … Come on down!!

(After you’ve come down, … of course)

11 Likes

SAUSAGE

Thanks Leuey for your contribution. All the best for the future.

5 Likes

Has he hung up boots?

Edit. Ah just read further up.

Settle. It is not confirmed yet, so don’t make me look bad, lol.

He got told, or you got told?

you and your farkin grammer…

5 Likes

My grammer died in 1964. Grampa died in 1969.

15 Likes