Former #22 Matthew Leuenberger

Great to hear. Yes, it comes through in his words.
Selfless and always seemed to deal calmly with difficult situations, like injury. His words about the club and the boys in the VFL are most encouraging. I bet he was a real mentor within the team.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no way the club didnā€™t know this was on the cards.

5 Likes

I liked Luey before I read this. Now I REALLY like him. Sounds like he has bought in to the club and the group in a big way. I love what he did this year in the role he played in the VFL with Draper, and his willingness to play 2nd fiddle to TBC. And all the guys who represented us through the 2016 persecution have a place in all our hearts.

8 Likes

Would have loved to see him go another season. Sounds like hes ready to move into something new. All the best to Leuey and his family

1 Like

AFL website saying that he turned down our contract offer and decided to retire. I think the club felt he would have a year left.

His body must be cooked.

1 Like

DRAPES

Wonā€™t be footy related.

All the best to him in his next chapter of life.

2 Likes

I have only respect for the big Burger. He answered the call for help in the clubā€™s darkest hour and acquitted himself well. To paraphrase Dirty Harry he is a man who knows his limitations, and he has reached the end of his road. He has done an outstanding job as a mentor for Draper and his words regarding the status of the club he now leaves have struck a resounding chord.

Best of luck to you and all your family for all your future endeavors.

13 Likes

No, the club knew he wanted to retire and they offered him a contract they knew he was unlikely to accept and already have plan B. Anyone thatā€™s been around the block or managed people know the drill. His mind was made up and they said ā€œi think i know the answer, but just in caseā€¦ā€. They arenā€™t idiots, they have a contingency

Well said CJ.

I honestly thought heā€™d get more of a shot if fit but it wasnā€™t to be.

Thanks and good luck big fella.

1 Like

Definitely played his last game like it was his last - I remember thinking ā€˜Geez heā€™s going in hardā€™
Must have known it was going to be his last one then.

Thanks for coming to us in a shitstorm - all the best of luck for the future.

4 Likes

It would ha e been tricky if we tried to chase someone during trade period.
Eg Preuss. If we picked him up, heā€™s probably a guy who is/was hoping to play regular AFL for many years. If we got a guy like that, it might annoy a fella like Draper and then he might be more inclined to accept Adelaideā€™s advances.

I reckon the backup we need has to be someone who is likely only useful for a season or two and isnā€™t going to get in Draperā€™s way long term.

Someone like Clarke night fit this bill perfectly

2 Likes

Would we be interested in out of contract dog Tom Campbell? Former Bomber, of sorts, and a more than handy fall back option.

5 Likes

Werenā€™t we interested in him in the year the dogs drafted/stole him?

Thatā€™s right and he isnā€™t that old. Maybe 27. Heā€™s played about 50 games and I think he is better than most when resting fwd.

3 Likes

Farewell Big Leuyā€¦ Thanks for everything - have a great next chapter in your life.

9 Likes

If Campbell was delisted this year heā€™d be perfect IMO as back up and at age to allow for Drapers progression to be timed well

And also happy to play a back up role

We have to get mature age in, dont we?

Imagine Belly getting injured long term in the early rounds?

1 Like

All he has to do is refuse to sign a new contract for the Dogs and they will be forced to delist him. He gets my vote because he isnā€™t cooked, can play ruck or fwd, has played on all the best current day ruckmen and has the ability to help us win a final if Belly falls over.

1 Like