#23 David Myers Retyers

Looks as scratchy as Hurley did in opening rounds. But I think he’ll get there. The more time in the middle, the better.

2 Likes

Yep. But much better than last week. And that one -two in the boundary in the last qtr was terrific.
Stays in for sure

Yep will get there. Has his weaknesses but his brute strength, kicking skills and clearance work will come to the fore the more game time he gets. With Watson, Hocking, Howlett on the decline, Myers is an important player type moving forward. We have to remember he has missed ALOT of footy over the last couple of years!

2 Likes

Starting to find his feet, will get better each week. Hurleys build up is a good comparison I think.

2 Likes

Can he not kick it 70m anymore?

Stacks better. You could see him backing himself a lot more too.

Was stiff with that htb, as in it was the correct decision but there should’ve been two paid to us immediately before it.

3 Likes

Probably not right now given the lay-off.

Won’t be long though.

1 Like

An improved game From myers. Save the hoof for on the run from the middle of the ground and just hit up a target when 70 m out after a mark.

1 Like

Fark that. Hoof ‘til the early morn’.

I thought he was good, better than I expected given limited match fitness. Gives us a bit of variation at the stoppages once he’s up and running

4 Likes

I didn’t see the Freo game last week so this was my first look at him last and gee, he looks a lot slimmer than previous years.

With reduced interchange cap and ever increasing running demands (resulting in less musclebound players) wouldn’t be surprised to see kicking distances have declined over the past few years.

until they change the rules/interchange/substitutes again

1 Like

Wha? Credited with 4 clangers, 2 of which were frees against = 2 turnovers

Either way I don’t think a guy playing his first game in 3 years being rusty says much at all. Nor do I think his position had much to do with how he went.

He was a thousand times better tonight. Still got life in him.

1 Like

Looked like he moved up the field as the game went on and as a result played his more natural game. Myers is not and never will be a defender so let’s just throw him in the middle and let him play.

1 Like

Went into the middle in the last and had 2 quick score involvements one of which I think was a goal. Building nicely. Will get there.

Much better than last week, if he stays away from the backline he’s good enough.

1 Like

Adds nothing to our back line, play him in the guts

1 Like

Can’t even kick the ball 70m anymore, he’s broken.

I’ve always supported David Myers - even when my faith in him was waning.

Being a top ten pick and subject to criticism due to other players open to be selected - Cyril Rioli - I backed the club’s decision despite his highlight package playing half back for W.A. being underwhelming.

In retrospect, David Myers-hype was primarily interview-character based. Numerous clubs admitted that they would have picked him top ten.

I attended a training session weeks after Myers arrived and he couldn’t keep up with Tommy Hislop after a third 200m run. So despite talking up a good game he couldn’t run out of sight on a dark night.

Despite playing half back for WA in U18 Champs, in practice games at half back he looked like a fish out of water in aerial contests. His lack of a left side bothered me too.

Because it’s obvious HE wanted an AFL career I wanted him to be successful. But he continually broke down. In between his injuries I noted that 1. His one-sidedness wasn’t improving. 2. His agility remained ordinary. 3. His ability above his head hadn’t improved.

Conclusion two years ago: A kicking weapon. Strong in a contest. Can’t really think of anything else. Can’t be played in defence so has to be played midfield but being so one-sided means that winning a contest often means feeding off the ball to someone who probably is not better positioned.

If he’d come back after the year off as ambidextrous as Hurls I would have bought back into the hype he engendered back in his draft year.

Right now I see a really limited footballer who I now rank below Hocking, Howlett and Bird.

Really hope I’m wrong.

Doubt it!