#23 David Myers Retyers

RIGHT side!

2 Likes

Two things…

My understanding is that even Hawthorn would have taken Myers if they’d had pick 6 rather than pick 12 or 13.

He only played half-back for WA because their team was stocked with midfielders, and they perceived he’d be of value there. But he played midfield in their normal comp.

2 Likes

In fact I’m sure the Hawks said he was the most impressive U18 they had interviewed pre-draft

Myers has Howlett and Hocking covered comfortably providing he stays FIT. Is a class or two above those guys.

6 Likes

Interesting to see him played off the wing. Don’t think I’ve seen him there before. It actually seemed to suit him, he even got a bit of a gallop up a few times. Interesting possibilities that I hadn’t considered

2 Likes

I was looking at Hooker’s Bomber magazine draft description for another thread, and saw Myers’ profile by Dodoro. People aren’t kidding about the emphasis on leadership. Not a forward, not key position is the only information it has on him as a player.

David is an outstanding individual who virtually picked himself at pick 6 last year. He was come through the AIS Academy and won the Kevin Sheehan Medal for best player in the AIS International U17 competition a couple of years ago, playing for Australia.

In his time at the Perth Football Club, David showed outstanding leadership ability, which was crucial, given we wanted someone take with such a high draft selection to come in and be a leader at our club.

He is definitely future captain material, but obviously that is a very big call at this point in time. We have been impressed with his maturity and the respect he shows to the club and he has settled in really well.

David will play half-back, wing, or ruck rover and is a very exciting player who we expect to play over 200 games for out club.

1 Like

Never been a fan, don’t see that changing in the near future. Can’t knock the bloke for attitude, leadership and all the passion etc etc… but he just isn’t that good as a footballer (comparatively… clearly he is still better than 99% of people who attempt to play the game).

The same issues we had when drafting him are still there… endurance is ordinary, speed is very very poor, one sided, slow hands in traffic, prone to turnover, completely at sea in a defensive marking situation and marking in general is poor and then you throw in a string of injuries and you reach the point where I’m not sure he is best 22 at all.

I just don’t see what he adds to the team… yes he has a booming kick but he seems to have lost 10m on that… and half the time he kicks it blindly straight to the opposition. I know a lot on here support him, and I support him as a player for EFC etc, but I’m just not convinced he should be in the team. I would much rather see guys like Laverde, Bird and maybe even Langford given a shot.

3 Likes

Can tell how much the game has changed since david was drafted. No one with his speed would be anywhere near the HBF or Wing in a contending side. Also one thing i noticed from the last couple of weeks, has his time it takes to kick the ball increased significantly? feels like takes to long to actually kick and ends up getting crowded by the opposition.

As a long time Myers fan I’d agree with the “one-sided” and “marking” critiques.
As for the rest I think we’re watching different players.
Has great one touch hands in traffic, and the awareness to generally feed it out to advantage. Endurance and speed are on a par with other big bodied inside mids such as Kennedy or Priddis etc. kicking isn’t just about distance either as he has that “speed through the air” even on 30 or 40 metre kicks.

Also of note is the number of young players, Parish, Zach, Langford who have all name checked him when interviewed about learning their trade / midfield role.
This would indicate he’s more than just a good bloke, and if we can keep him on the field the team will be better for it.

2 Likes

Interesting listening to Rob Harding mention on Bomber Radio that Myers can often pick things apart and explain what’s happening better than the coaches can. Is a very good communicator and am always very impressed listening to him speak at the huddles in the VFL. Knows his sh.t.

As for actual football ability reckon he’ll improve again this week before kicking the opener from 71m Saturday week just to really mark his return. Unless he’s played in defence, in which case he’s finished.

2 Likes

give him the vfl job.

1 Like

No doubt he has a keen footy brain and will most likely walk st8 into a coaching gig, but time for on field ability to be the deciding factor imho.

The only words I have heard Myers say in a VFL huddle was “Smash that C***!”

In fact living rooms everywhere resonated with it.

I was indeed impressive.

6 Likes

Myers fails to kick goal from the centre square;

Blitz response: “He’s lost it”

7 Likes

Interesting observations, that he articulates his analytical football brain very well and gets passionate in a huddle.

Easily best 22 if he gets an injury free run at it. Let’s hope he does.

3 Likes

It will probably take him 3-4 more games to pick up the pace of the game. Hasn’t played for nearly 2 years.

His correct and proper place is right in the middle of the ground, hoofing it to our advantage.

He’s a very big unit.

1 Like

2 games in and he’s been written off. lol

Some of his best work last game was when we were been challenged.

He will be fine. Let him play a few games first.

2 Likes

Rob Harding had pretty big wraps on Myers for his leadership.

Said that he understands the game and team strategy better than anyone and is more articulate than many of the coaches in relaying that communication.

Sounds like a coaching pathway down the track for him.

• already discussed in this thread

He certainly has his limitations as a footballer. He has been horribly unlucky injury wise and this has had a significant impact on his development and I think we played him out of position for a number of years early in his career and it didn’t help. If he had played 150 games instead of 75 we would think of him very differently in my view. With Jobe likely to retire at the end of the year, Myers will be our big contested ball mid for the next few years at least.

1 Like