#23 David Myers Retyers

He absolutely got better as the game went on. Had 11 touches at 29% at one point.

3 Likes

Yeah, big improvement on 2016.

3 Likes

By years, I fcking mean career, bar maybe 2014.

1 Like

I wasn’t that impressed with him today. His lack of a right foot was exposed several times today, and his handball is not there for mine. He slows us down in transition when he doesn’t get his left side. I would have preferred if we stuck with Langford, he was far from our worst last week…

3 Likes

I was, his work off the ball is hocking like and he’s our most vocal presence in the midfield. Stays in.

If he hoofed those two goals it would have been an excellent performance.

Just needs some coaching from McGrath on how to handball quickly

1 Like

Just want to put on Blitz record.
Kicked at least three times with his right boot today.

Is the apocalypse nigh?

4 Likes

Or perhaps Diesel Williams

1 Like

Bit iffy disposal early on again but was fantastic in the 2nd half today. Showed why many on here still rate him as an inside clearance mid. It didn’t come off with 2 behinds but how nice was it to see the 70metre hoof back!

1 Like

Thought he was really good - got in good position and was involved for the whole game. If Jobe stsys on , Myers hits form not sure where Langford fits in given they the club may be targeting a big mid.Langford will have a career no doubt but where

What is exactly is his win/loss stat? Some have said it’s positive, which is an amazing effort considering his career started in 2008

1 Like

47 wins
0 draws
45 losses

12 Likes

Another interesting stat is that zaharakis is averaging around 4 possessions more per game this year when Myers plays. Haven’t looked at the other outside mids. Small sample size and correlation doesn’t equal causality, but interesting nonetheless.

His positioning and blocking/defensive work is really good and he’s always vocal which coaches love.

7 Likes

He plays and we are a better than 50% chance to win.

1 Like

Hate to say I told you so. But when there 30 people trashing a loyal passionate hard Essendon bloke you have to point out his good qualities when its unpopular to do so.

And yo u get the right to remind those to always be hard and positive. Even in the bad times.

He was ■■■■■■ fantastic when the momentum may have shifted. He just got in there and said " ah no Collingwood. Not on my watch. "

2 Likes

Gets 30 odd
Lays 4 tackles
Splits marking contests all day long.

I’ll take my 33% predictive accuracy and run with it!

1 Like

He played with the right intensity, that’s what Langford hasn’t been able to do yet so hopefully that’s his benchmark for the rest of the season. Now if he could just stop turning the ball over so much we can start to see him become effective. That was possibly the worst 31 disposal game I’ve seen but at least he was getting his hands on it & that’s better than his previous games.

1 Like

Yep. Did the grunt work when nobody else was going to. There is a reason he is seen as a leader despite missing so much football. Extremely impressive today.

1 Like

Was he on Treloars?

I thought he was terrible in the first half and excellent in the second half.

The biggest positive was he found it what, near on 30 times? That’s a HUGE positive for the bloke considering every other game he played this year was anywhere between 10-20 touches

5 Likes

The difference Myers makes at stoppages is massive. Its not all about possessions, his body work and footy smarts in these situations are badly lacking when he doesn’t play. He allows players like Parrish a clean run at the ball. Langford has none of this yet, he is a HFF trying to mid. Myers is a natural mid. Yes, he is struggling with his disposal but he has played bugger all AFL footy for 10 years. The blokes deserves a solid run at it. I think he is doing a lot more then some realize.

He is part of the leadership group for a reason, and the coaches say his footy smarts are second to none.

12 Likes