#23 David Myers Retyers

User name checks out.

2 Likes

Myers justifies recall

The inclusion of David Myers was the only change to side following the loss to Brisbane. After a stint in the VFL Myers returned with a vengeance. He picked up 31 possessions, had five clearances, four tackles and five inside 50s.

It’s the first time since round 8, 2011 Myers has had more than 30 possessions in a game.

3 Likes

If Myers in the side means we win, then keep him in.
He was very scratchy early.
But important in the last. and when you go back and look at the stats, he got a fair bit of the ball.

That game somehow makes me even more annoyed he’s played like 6 games running around like a headless chook on half back and the wing. Ugh.
Have they given up on trying to get him to polish off his outside game?? Surely they didn’t actually think he was a good option at HBF.

1 Like

What got me on his first stint in the 1sts was his lack of touch. He fumbled, he dropped the ball, he was slow to react in a chain of handballs etc.
He had played a couple in the 2nds previous to this & gotten a few 30 possession games, but obvious his reaction times was too slow for the 1sts & he needed more match fitness.
The 2nd stint in the 2nds has hopefully now got him up to speed.
And all these farkwits on here saying why did we sign up on a 3 year contract, will be tongueing his nuts in 2018/19 after Jobe retires at the end of this season & we need Myer’s size in the middle to help out the little blokes like Zerret & Parish

3 Likes

Has a RIGHT foot

Clearly it’s his WRONG foot…

Myers’ “one sidedness” really stands out because every other player on the list kicks fluently off both feet. Oh wait.

Hurls is about the only one who kicks either foot without much thought. From the little I’ve seen, Mutch might be another. But they’re few and far between.

What Myers doesnt have is the agility to get quickly and smoothly back onto his preferred like many do, nor a fast ball drop, so he looks pressured.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much distance down the line he gained off his right a couple of times.

2 Likes

He is following the clone_hirdy three step process

Step 1: get ball
Step 2: improve execution
Step 3: dominate games

2 Likes

This. You can clearly tell he’s worked on it so he doesn’t get caught while trying to get on his left side. Even noticed it with his running.

The year off might have helped players like him work on big deficiencies.

Given he’s played so many years but not many games, if he gets his body right after many years of confiditoning he could play well into his 30s as his game was never based on pace.

Glad to see him play well.

I’d throw Parish’s name in the ring in terms of players at the club who can use both feet to an above average level along with BJ.

EDIT: And Tippa of course.

I always thought his best footy was when Watson went down. Both him and hocking won us a few games from memory. The decision to give him an extended contract is the correct one despite people bringing it up often negatively. He definitely owes the club in a footy sense and will be needed once our older brigade retires. Perhaps if he was a spare tall he would be cut? Luckily he’s the type we need going forward. I hope he can build on the Collingwood game and end the season without any ■■■■■■■ injuries! I’m backing him in. Stick it up them David.

1 Like

Looks like he’s back to his best, because lets face it that’s got to be 1 of his top 5 games, at least for involvement and impacting the game.
I guess he cops scrutiny because if Jobe is 20% down on average, Jobe still gets 24 possessions, whereas Myers would only get 16 and so when we look at the outs anyone Myers age with only 16 possessions (with midfield time) is going to be looked at.
Given that he has had to earn his spot in the 2’s I feel he has rewarded the coaches decision to pick him considering they would be keen to try out some younger players and/or rotate Stanton, Bird, Hocking etc.
He obviously contributes a lot and I feel that this was a “must win” game against the pies and would have been treated like the dreaded “mini-final”, so I imagine he would be selected ahead of a few others if we were to play finals.
Really happy for him, I will admit I was feeling continually underwhelmed by him this year and was justify him in the side, but if he can improve our midfield then I’m in favour.

No issue at all. I thought you’d made a clever pun, but now you tell me it was just a typo.

And as for “insult”… Your handle’s in French: I simply translated it into English. I’m sorry you weren’t amused.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, BJ’s left is a crapshoot.

Has produced many bullet passes off his left over the years.

Have a chance to see that left foot 50m pass to Orazio against Sydney a few weeks ago?

He’s gotta add another string to his bow other than a 60 metre dump kick most times he gets it

1 Like

In 2015 he was able to achieve 8 clearances and 12+ contested possessions in a number of games. That is A grade level if sustained.

Maybe its a coincidence that we beat the Collingwood midfield at stoppages when Myers was involved . Only Treloar had more clearances in that game.with 6. Myers had 5. If he can back that up and make more damaging use of his disposals our midfield will look a lot better.

1 Like

My point is some work, some don’t.

But he never has sustained it. 2014 was by far his best year, and yet his season averages really are still a long way from elite. Expecting an injury prone 28 year old to become A-grade would be appalling list management.

Fwiw I’m glad he’s contracted, as he is still our second best clearance player. But he’s a place holder/depth until we replace Jobe with another genuine clearance beast.

1 Like