#23 David Myers Retyers

At the end of this season, I would be letting go of Stanton, Howlett, Hocking, Bird, McKernan, Brown, & younger blokes like Long & Morgan & I reckon Jobe & Kelly will retire - so there’s 10 blokes already, almost 25% of the list gone. That seems enough of a turnover for one year, so in a sense I agree with your logic, just disagree on Myers only.

Well I have only watched 3 VFL games this year & have been underwhelmed by our younger AFL listed blokes to say the least. The only one showing any consistency is Mutch & he is a classic wingman, so unless Colyer gets injured, we won’t be replacing like-for-like, plus he will do SFA to help our centre clearances.
The most conspicuous players I’ve seen in the VFL are either the older blokes like Bird, Howlett & Hocking, or the VFL listed blokes like Ferry, Boyse & Hind (be interested in DJR’s thoughts on that).
So if you want to reward mediocrity with gifting undeserving players in the 1sts, well bully for you, but I prefer players to earn games while we are still a chance to play finals. Once finals are out of the equation, I have no issues with gifting games for the last 2-4 rounds.

3 Likes

At the game live didn’t notice him much, watched the replay last night and he was the one player that stuck out to me how much better he was than I thought.

10 list changes across a single season is way too many. Unless we are trading in some very good developed players, 10 would literally put us back 3-4 years.

I’d say it will be 6 or 7 at most; there will be at least one retirement (Stanton), maybe two more (Watson and Kelly) so looking at between 3-6 delistings. FWIW, I would keep Bird, Howlett, McKernan and Brown on the list for at least another 12 months.

Doubt Jobe retires frankly. It looks very much like Heater will with Stants though, … #SAD

My feeling is that Jobe will be back in NYC before the sun rises on Mad Monday, and won’t be back for pre-season.

4 Likes

I get the same feeling, actually.

10’s not that big of a deal. Since 2012 we’ve gone 8, 8, 8, 9, 10. Wouldn’t be surprised if we did 10 this year at all.

Are you including rookies?

Yes. If you don’t think they’re on the list, then it’s 9, 6, 6, 9, 10. Or 8, 6, 5, 8, 8 if rookies don’t count and rookie elevations don’t count. None of them count re-rookieing. I suppose 2 might move from 2016 to 2015 depending on when you count the additions of Kelly and Dea.

HOOF IT.

Technically 11 this year, Kelly and Dea were FAs this year apparently.
(5 ND picks, 2 trades, 2 FAs, 1 new rookie and mcneice was a pre-rookie pick). 2 re-rookieing picks.

Last year was 11 too (7 ND, 1 FA, 3 new rookies). 1 re-rookieing pick.

Even 2014, we had 8 (1 FA, 2 trades, 2 ND, 3 rookies). That was the year we had no picks, you’d think that would be the rock bottom number.

I stand corrected on the numbers. Think I missed McNiece in 2016, and Leuenberger and Tippa in 2015. But yeah, 10 list changes wouldn’t be that unusual for a team that’s trying to move up the ladder.

1 Like

It takes ages to work it out now with like 5 ways of getting players.

1 Like

Is well down on last weeks effort, hope he comes into it in the second half

Didn’t get as much of the ball as last week, but I thought he played a much better game. Was very important in the stoppages. Very happy to see him hoof that goal at the end

2 Likes

So Myers asked to dropped earlier in the season as he felt his form and mental state were not right and he needed to play in the VFL to get things right. That from both Bruthe and Tim Watson.

3 Likes

Had an ok second half
Super important player for us - if he gets back to his best then watch out!!!

I thought he was fantastic tonight. Just his strength around the stopagges was top notch. The number of times he striped the ball at clearances and forced repeat stopagges will not earn him stats but it really set us up and stopped then getting clean ball out of the stopagges.

Kudos

17 Likes

Yep, it’s not all about stats, it is about the 1%'s

I know a lot it’s said about his left hoof, but Myers handball and work around the contest is much more important. Solid game.

2 Likes