#23 David Myers Retyers

He wont be on he market and he will be in the team

Overration.

At his absolute best there is no doubt he is a valuable player. I'll be interested to see whether he has improved his agility and overhead work at all. Of course there is aways the question of his durability.

Managing the selection of jobe, hepp, Myers, Hocking, bj and Langford will be one of woosh’s many selection headaches. I simply can’t see how he fits all 6 in. One way or the other there will be some handy players in the vfl.

Frankly amongst that list I think Myers has demonstrated the least versatility which I think counts against him.

A 3 year contract is a vote of confidence though and I think he still has an important role to play as the side transitions away from jobe and bj over the next couple of years.

If he is squeezed for senior football this year though and stays fit expect him to be attracting serious interest come trade week next year. Not ridiculous to suggest he could draw a first round pick for us.

Regardless hope a bit more luck comes his way and he has a massive year.

If this happens it would take an insurmountable lead as the greatest trade of all time for EFC, and on a level of bad for the other team rivalling Aaron Fiora, Richard Tambling, Cale Morton, Lucas Cook, Aaron McAlister and James Davies combined

Yep agreed. If you think you could get a first round pick for a guy that can’t force his way into the side of a possible mid table team then I feel you may have been overindulging in a little too much egg nog.

Yeah probably getting a little carried away there. Tigers did pay 24 for caddy though.

He is contracted so you would have to trade for him with little leverage. I could see Richmond or saints reaching for him a bit. These big bodied midfielders are very highly prized ATM. He’s needs a full year of vfl/afl football though. If we play finals that probably pushes his value up a bit too.

Yeh but people always overrate our players on blitz. I remember even just a few years ago people were saying they’d still take Myers over rioli and being shocked by it. I think I’d take Hocking out of the two, Myers looks the more ‘sexy’ option because of his left foot, but i think generally he is a good average footballer and nothing more at this stage.

I think he could see some time in the twos. Langford is possibly ahead of his as a big bodied mid, as well as obviously Hep, Jobe and Hocking. If someone like Begley breaks out early he could struggle to get a look in. I reckon the three year deal he got was very generous considering what he has achieved. SAGA guilt probably got him an extra year.

It wasn’t ‘saga guilt’ - it was specifically said that all players would be offered an extra year to make up for the one lost.

Does that not sound like saga guilt lol?

No.
‘Guilt’ has entirely different connotations.

All aboard the HOOF train!

No doubt Myers contribution to Essendon over his career has been “average” mainly based on his injury-proneness. When he has had a half decent run at it he’s shown his clearance work is very elite. I remember a game against the swans where we were getting absolutely flogged and then he came on as the sub half way through the 3rd term and single handedly brough is back into the game by winning a shitload of centre clearances. Some probably remember this game as the one where Dempsey could have had a shot after the siren to win but played on right on the buzzer.

I rate him very highly because when he is on the field, he gives as an edge in the clearances…a super important facet in winning a game of footy. The club has rated his leadership very highly since he was drafted and that’s why I wouldn’t count him out of a leadership position. Obviously the only thing holding him back in being something like a vice captain is the huge question mark on whether he can get on the park.

I don’t agree with people who mention Hocking and Langford as being ahead of Myers at all. Firstly, Hocking is a tagger and has yet to prove at all that he can be ‘the man’ in those stoppages. Secondly, Langford is definitely the future in this role but so far he is unproven in this role, his best form has been up forward. I see him splitting his time this year between HFF and inside mid 70-30.

Heppell without a doubt is an inside midfeilder but his skills aren’t limited to just this so I feel like him and Zerrett will be better used in more inside & outside roles for the best team balance. A typical stoppage situation in my head is Myers/Watson ripping it out off the deck, giving it to Heppell/Zerrett who are good enough to then get it out of traffic to our outside runners Colyer/Zaharakis.

I genuinely feel like we have been robbed of an A grade midfielder because of his injury problems. Anyway back to my original point - a FIT Myers is a lock for best 22.

Back him in boys!!!

Laser foots!!!

David Myers: Best defensive player of 2014.

Personally I’d be picking Hocking ahead of all mids with the exception of Jobe, Hep and Zac. He is very important to our setup around the ball due to his ability to block and make space for others around stoppages.

I’m not sure if I would consider him injury prone anymore.
Sure those overall numbers of 85 games over 9 years suggest that, but I’d rather look at the recent tallies of 20 & 18 games in '13/'14.
I consider the 2015 Rd1 as an unfortunate impact injury that anyone could have sustained !

Jobe will be 32 by the start of season 2017.
Myers is the only other player on our list who can currently play the role of a monster extractor.
Hocking perhaps, but we know he won’t be playing such a role.

I personally don’t expect Myers to be playing much VFL Footy, if at all !

I think he could see some time in the twos. Langford is possibly ahead of his as a big bodied mid, as well as obviously Hep, Jobe and Hocking. If someone like Begley breaks out early he could struggle to get a look in. I reckon the three year deal he got was very generous considering what he has achieved. SAGA guilt probably got him an extra year.
It wasn't 'saga guilt' - it was specifically said that all players would be offered an extra year to make up for the one lost.
Really? Where was that said? And why then is Howlett on a 1 year deal?

I think they gave Myers 3 years because they rate him. Because he’s one of our best extractors, before Thompson stuffed him he was one of our guys who could break lines with his kicking and he’s got one of the better win/loss records in the team. Personally, I see him as a complete lock if fit.

I am still in shock reading over last 5 pages. He plays round one at the G. Period

It wasn't 'saga guilt' - it was specifically said that all players would be offered an extra year to make up for the one lost.

I think they gave Myers 3 years because they rate him. Because he’s one of our best extractors, before Thompson stuffed him he was one of our guys who could break lines with his kicking and he’s got one of the better win/loss records in the team. Personally, I see him as a complete lock if fit.

It was said - I can’t recall when. The single year to Howlett is self-explanatory, I guess.

That's the game I was thinking of. Oh boy what I wouldn't give to go back to that blissfully ignorant period. It's actually a bit sad

In the last minute of the video BT’s singing the praises of the Weapon.

I’m pretty sure Xavier himself announced this publicly very early in the piece before anyone had signed back up.
Howlett was only on a deal for 2016, hence why a one year deal for 2017.

Myers as a better player than Hocking is laughable. I’m sorry but it’s just fkn ridiculous. With WD in that only Jobe Heppell and Zac are ahead of Hocking. Hopefully Langford Darcy and even Lav pass him this year but we’ll wait and see.

Hocking when played as a pure mid in the late Knights era was the second best/most important player on our list IMO (granted the whole list was fkd…)

32 new posts, surely must be about a knock to the calf?

Hocking is a decent player with the ball. but off the ball and blocking runs for jobe, dois et al. Hocking is easily one of our most important players.

also flies the flag for the team, anyone tries to intimidate our kids, he will deck them.

Melbourne in previous years, and Saints/WC of recent times have all targeted him heavily but he stayed with us.

Clearly valued by other sides and internally valued highly by us.

The problem we have is too many one paced mids so can’t really afford to take in too many one dimensional pure contested ball players.

This is the only reason he is seen as fringe with us IMO. But it won’t be that way in the coming years.

One thing for certain, Zerrett, Parish and Hep are going to run amok whilst the returning bulls (Watson/Hocking/Myers/Howlett) do the heavy lifting in the packs.

Don’t even get me started once the ball finds its way out to Colyer, Fanta, Tippa, Zaka.
I’m going FULL Randy Marsh !