#23 David Myers Retyers

32 new posts, surely must be about a knock to the calf?

That’s what I thought as well. Relieved.

At this stage, there are about 26 ‘locks’ for round 1, and about 15 of them are midfielders.

At this stage, there are about 26 'locks' for round 1, and about 15 of them are midfielders.

well midfield is where the modern game is won and lost.

Overration.

Too much clapping.

The AFL’s new rule of outlawing the third man up will surely lead to more stoppages and congestion. That might be an absolute godsend for Myers as a big bodied extractor. Even better news for Jobe

At this stage, there are about 26 'locks' for round 1, and about 15 of them are midfielders.
I’m going out on a limb and will say that if we play 26 we’re gonna lose.
I’m going out on a limb and will say that if we play 26 we’re gonna lose.

how could they tell the difference between our vanilla panic merchants.

That's the game I was thinking of. Oh boy what I wouldn't give to go back to that blissfully ignorant period. It's actually a bit sad

In the last minute of the video BT’s singing the praises of the Weapon.

I think he could see some time in the twos. Langford is possibly ahead of his as a big bodied mid, as well as obviously Hep, Jobe and Hocking. If someone like Begley breaks out early he could struggle to get a look in. I reckon the three year deal he got was very generous considering what he has achieved. SAGA guilt probably got him an extra year.
It wasn't 'saga guilt' - it was specifically said that all players would be offered an extra year to make up for the one lost.
Really? Where was that said? And why then is Howlett on a 1 year deal?

I think they gave Myers 3 years because they rate him. Because he’s one of our best extractors, before Thompson stuffed him he was one of our guys who could break lines with his kicking and he’s got one of the better win/loss records in the team. Personally, I see him as a complete lock if fit.

I’m pretty sure Xavier himself announced this publicly very early in the piece before anyone had signed back up.
Howlett was only on a deal for 2016, hence why a one year deal for 2017.

Except if you follow that logic, as Myers was finishing a two year deal he should have got a two year deal. He didn’t. Myers was on 2, Howlett on 1, Myers got 3, Howlett got 1…
The AFL's new rule of outlawing the third man up will surely lead to more stoppages and congestion. That might be an absolute godsend for Myers as a big bodied extractor. Even better news for Jobe
When did they change that? I completely missed it. What was the rationale behind it?
Overration.

Too much clapping.

Not enough applause for this post.

Almost as much as “free kick Hawthorn”

That's the game I was thinking of. Oh boy what I wouldn't give to go back to that blissfully ignorant period. It's actually a bit sad

I think he could see some time in the twos. Langford is possibly ahead of his as a big bodied mid, as well as obviously Hep, Jobe and Hocking. If someone like Begley breaks out early he could struggle to get a look in. I reckon the three year deal he got was very generous considering what he has achieved. SAGA guilt probably got him an extra year.
It wasn't 'saga guilt' - it was specifically said that all players would be offered an extra year to make up for the one lost.

I think they gave Myers 3 years because they rate him. Because he’s one of our best extractors, before Thompson stuffed him he was one of our guys who could break lines with his kicking and he’s got one of the better win/loss records in the team. Personally, I see him as a complete lock if fit.

I’m pretty sure Xavier himself announced this publicly very early in the piece before anyone had signed back up.

Except if you follow that logic, as Myers was finishing a two year deal he should have got a two year deal. He didn’t. Myers was on 2, Howlett on 1, Myers got 3, Howlett got 1…
The AFL's new rule of outlawing the third man up will surely lead to more stoppages and congestion. That might be an absolute godsend for Myers as a big bodied extractor. Even better news for Jobe
When did they change that? I completely missed it. What was the rationale behind it?

This was on the AFL website yesterday evening. They acknowledge that opinion is split on it, but they are choosing to enshrine the role of the ruckman given the sharp increase in the 3rd man up winning the tap, but reckon it doesn’t effect clearances all that much.

On your logic re contract extensions and new contract offers:

I think you are confusing the issue with the one year extension of all current contracts. It meant if your contract was up this year you would get a minimum of one more year. It also meant that if you had a current contract they would extend it by a minimum of one year.

New contracts beyond 1 year are both a vote of confidence in the player and also an acknowledgment that all 12 suspended EFC players were given permission to walk from EFC to wherever, if they wanted to, regardless of contract status, so they all could wheel and deal to test their current market value. Hence Hurley’s new deal despite being contracted etc.

This basically avoided further Paddy Ryder scenarios where the player had to blame the Saga in some way to justify going somewhere else for more money. Hence Hibberd could leave whilst contracted to EFC, and not pouring a bucket on us, or giving the media as much fodder to misconstrue the situation.

Hurley on the other hand could get more money given his recent AA status whilst under contract and without having to create a shitstorm in order to leave the club for more money. I’m not saying he would have done this, but it does beg the question of would Ryder have stayed if he could have renegotiated his contract, or did he go for a bit of clear air (for whatever reason)?

I give EFC a lot of credit for how they’ve managed the return of the 10 (and exit of the 2), it has been a brilliant management of a shitful situation. I suspect the next hurdle is going to be keeping our emerging stars at the club, given some big contracts for the likes of Hurley and Hooker. Hopefully they can front load those sufficiently to make their pay at least commensurate with their output in their 30’s. We have already seen Lav test the water with what he is worth, and those pressures will increase as time goes on, which will put pressure on the likes of BJ, Stants, Pops and even Jobe, but I think Jobe gets a guernsey as long as he is best 22, a la Fletch.

None of that explains a 3 year deal for Myers. It is simply that the club (and possibly the market) valued him as being worth a three year deal.

Thanks for the info on the 3rd man up.

That logic has a flaw in it.

edit - what SCarey said.

Read his story in the latest Bomber Magazine, if that doesn’t make you smile…NOTHING will.

I thought that all the club said was that everyone who missed the year would be offered a contract for 2017. Nothing about bonus years.

Where is the David Myers middle-leg thread?

2014 is the only year he’s averaged more than 20 possessions a game.

That logic has a flaw in it.

edit - what SCarey said.

No it doesn't.

Howlett, on a 2 year deal expiring end of 2016. Given a one year deal.
Myers, on a 2 year deal expiring end of 2016. Given a three year deal.

There is no way Myers three year deal is merely saga related. They clearly rate him. Which, by reports do did other clubs.

I wonder if he will gain a bit more pace and explosive power now he is leaner. Can’t fully remember but when he signed up watching his videos he seemed quicker

I don’t want to see Myers doing anything this year except hoofing it 70 metres, either straight over the goal umpire or directly into Daniher’s hands.