#23 David Myers Retyers

Really bad news given his history. Must be very very frustrating for him.

Essendon midfielder David Myers has been struck down by a finger injury that will keep him sidelined for up to two months.

The 27-year old damaged a tendon at training this morning and will be forced to undergo surgery.

“David Myers got his finger caught in someone’s jumper, he’s ruptured his tendon in that finger and he’ll be in for surgery today,” said the Bombers’ Justin Crow.

“It means six weeks in a splint and then two weeks getting his touch back normally to then play football.

“The good news is it’s his right hand so he’ll be able to continue to guide the ball with his left hand and keep running over that period and maintain the really good training base he’s been able to get this pre-season.”

I realise every person and injury is different, however I ruptured a tendon in my finger at footy training in late November and the good news is he should make a full recovery from this with no on-going problems. It was exactly 6 weeks before I could go back to training and catching the ball again and after a few more weeks of wearing a brace during training it was all good. Biggest issue was keeping the tendon and finger absolutely straight for 6 weeks as if it bends once then it was effectively back to day one.

Something like this?

Exactly like that. :slight_smile: Was great for my own passive aggressive version of road rage

The person who was saying earlier today that he was more than likely to get injured can feel smug… but if they actually express that now they’re going to get smacked down, and rightfully so.

this is just getting ridiculous now…

Damn it I’m really disappointed. One of my favourite players who I rate highly.

As a positive it really does give Langford a huge opportunity to cement himself alongside Jobe and Heppell as our main inside mids. Hocking more so in the picture now too.

Hopefully he can keep his fitness up
Crowey said that its on his left hand so he will be able to take part in the majority of training. good news in that regard

Poor guy…so who can we promote to replace him?

Hopefully he can get a clean run at it after this latest setback. I’m looking forward to him hoofing some big goals this year.

Poor guy....so who can we promote to replace him?
And will they do it right now, given they've said Myers is "only" out for eight weeks?

This does suck for David, but in reality he is out for four AFL rounds and should be back for round 2 of the VFL.

If he wasn’t a walk up start for round 1 to 4 in the best 22, he has in reality missed 1 VFL game proper, some practice games and some training, but will be able to kick and run.

Not the end of the world.

Essendon midfielder David Myers has been struck down by a finger injury that will keep him sidelined for up to two months.

The 27-year old damaged a tendon at training this morning and will be forced to undergo surgery.

“David Myers got his finger caught in someone’s jumper, he’s ruptured his tendon in that finger and he’ll be in for surgery today,” said the Bombers’ Justin Crow.

“It means six weeks in a splint and then two weeks getting his touch back normally to then play football.

“The good news is it’s his right hand so he’ll be able to continue to guide the ball with his left hand and keep running over that period and maintain the really good training base he’s been able to get this pre-season.”

I realise every person and injury is different, however I ruptured a tendon in my finger at footy training in late November and the good news is he should make a full recovery from this with no on-going problems. It was exactly 6 weeks before I could go back to training and catching the ball again and after a few more weeks of wearing a brace during training it was all good. Biggest issue was keeping the tendon and finger absolutely straight for 6 weeks as if it bends once then it was effectively back to day one.

Hmm, if it’s his middle one, perhaps it might be a good time to follow Gill & co around for a week or so?

So damn frustrating for him and the supporters. At least he can be back early in the season ripe for another injury probably.

Poor guy....so who can we promote to replace him?
And will they do it right now, given they've said Myers is "only" out for eight weeks?

History suggests we don’t promote anyone unless they are ready to take a spot in the senior side.

If he goes onto the long term injury list straight away we don’t have to promote anyone straight away do we?

IIRC we can delay it as long as we like as long as somebody is on that list.

I would think it would be best to promote McKernan if anyone because that is the area we are most vulnerable with only one fit and in form ruckman and question marks over our other talls who could be re-jigged if McKernan was put in the side as a forward/ruck.

Really disappointed for him. He can’t get a run at it at all.
He looked good the other night.
At least it is not a leg injury or back injury.

10 years for 85 games

He’s just one of them guys. Really sad

What injury hasn’t this guy had? fknhll.

There is 4 weeks until the start of the year…so should miss between rounds 1-4 (going by 6 to 8 weeks injury) be back round 3 the earliest or round 5 the latest if form permits.

It could be nearly 2 and a half years in between full games of AFL footy. Outrageous.
Hope he gets a better run after this. FMD.

8 weeks? Damm. VFL bound then for the first half most likely.