#23 David Myers Retyers

I agree with all that in principle. We should definitely keep in check our balance between inside grunt and outside speed. A blend of young and old is ideal too provided the younger players are doing what is necessary to be worthy of a spot. I think by the squad Woosha has gone with to start the year it is clear to see that he is mindful of all of this.

But my point was these sort of guys that you mentioned (plus Myers) are pretty handy guys to have to be able to rotate into your side to cover injury or poor form aren’t they!!

I mentioned that Melbourne game specifically as it will be important to have a large squad of fit players (outside of the 22 that play against the Pies on ANZAC day) to give us plenty of options if there are a few players we feel won’t back up well.

It’s a long season too so having some of these experienced guys to draw upon when needed in the winter months will be helpful.

1 Like

Myers is considered best 22 when fit. A game or two to find touch.

Myers is a beast around the stoppages and i think he can also play outside and be a very dangerous wingmen in the modern game with his kicking pentration & goal nous.

I don’t see how a bloke who has played 2 games of footy since 2015 is automatic best 22. He’s got a bit to prove in the twos before being a walk up start id think, mainly for durability

12 Likes

Yep. I didn’t see him as best 22 before the injury.

Who does he push out of the midfield? Parish?

b-b-b-but he signed up yours to carlton…

1 Like

We’ve seen most of the returning guys have been a little rusty (both ours and those playing elsewhere) with a few exceptions. I doubt Myers will be ready to come straight in. Looked rusty in the intraclub matches.

Needs to be named in the VFL best a couple of times before getting a game I reckon. I love Myers but he needs to earn it.

1 Like

I agree Myers needs a bit of a run in the VFL. In the past he has generally taken a couple games at AFL level to get back into the swing of things after an injury. So a couple VFL games minimum you would think. Then of course it depends on personnel available. E.g. you would potentially rush him back into the seniors if anyone of Watson, Heppell or Langford were suspended/injured.

I think he’ll struggle to get a game unless someone like Jobe or Hep get injured. You can only have so many big-bodied, one-paced players in the team, and unlike a few others, Myers has never really added another string to his bow other than bullocking midfielder.

When i was at the intraclub - i thought he was spreading defensively away from the contests with speed and was also able to be a good link player on the outer side to get some very deep inside 50s.

We have a squad of 30 very capable AFL players. We need to use our depth wisely.

There will be times Watson, Kelly, Stanton & Goddard are rested.
Jusy like Parish, Langford & Mcgrath will be given rests during the year.

If you’re on the LTI, you have to be gone for 8 weeks regardless, I’d thought.

3 Likes

Correct

1 Like

Guy has been around for 8 years and still hasn’t played 100 games. Love what he can do and I think he improves us in the middle when he’s playing but man, someone lock him in a pen with a sturdy netballer or female endurance runner or something and get him 15 more games. Just seems like another one of those players who show bits of brilliance over 10 years whilst barely managing to stay uninjured.

1 Like

You’d almost give him another year after to this because of his ability and what he can give us. But even then another year wasted with injury and you start thinking it may be in the clubs best interest to let go as his body isn’t up to it.

My store is a gun but his body has let him down.

He is the ideal person to take Jobe’s spot if he can fulfill his potential.

1 Like

He’s only one year into a three year contract I think. A very generous contract for a 27 yo who has played 85 games over 9 years in my opinion.

3 Likes

Very generous.

But we were warding off other clubs after him as well as clearly from a list management point of view need him, if he can ever get on park.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think WC had made a play for Myers, which probably forced our hand and won him and extra year.

For what, two years?

He is almost 28, struggles to get on the park at the best of times and isn’t likely to become anymore reliable in terms of his body holding up with age.

The ideal person to take Jobe’s spot is about 6 years younger and far more durable, you can’t have one of your main extractors constantly sidelined.

6 Likes

Lets just focus on the positives that he brings to our club.
He has had bad luck injuries as well as soft tissue. He still has impact on games when he is plays.

In 2-3 years when Kelly, Hocking, Watson, stanton, Goddard are retired we need Daves bigger body around the contest to help protect zerrett, Parish, Heppell, langford & Mcgrath (Mutch)

3 Likes

Would have been interesting to see what they’d have offered us