#23 David Myers Retyers

Agreed. But there is a silver lining about us drafting Myers.

Unfortunately the silver lining was not for us but for Cyril.

Been injured for most of his career.

First game against Sydney 2015 he did something major to his shoulder and we didn’t see him again in the senior team until this year.

He’s played 100 AFL games, the vast majority of which have been bog ordinary. He has and has always had a number of severe limitations that render him mostly ineffective at AFL level, specifically his lack of pace, very limited right foot, and slowness of decision-making.

His 2017 is a neat encapsulation of his career - 4 dominant VFL performances in which he averaged 32 touches a game, but consistently limited impact in the AFL team. That’s not a coincidence, it’s not unique to Myers, and it’s nothing to do with injury - he’s just one of those many players who are probably too good for VFL, but can’t quite cut it in the AFL due to inherent and major limitations.

2 Likes

With Begley.
And Mutch.

1 Like

Just another player whose character has him playing more games tjan his form warrants

He did win our “best defensive” player award in 2014. Whatever that means.

I’d give him one more season, on the hope he gets a full pre-season and some continuity of football sees an improvement.

But come end of 2018, if he still middle of the road then it might be time to stamp his papers.

nope.

Jackson Merrett’s year, Jettas last year, Bird’s year. Having a player on the list who we have already decided won’t be playing has to be the definition of a nothing year.

We’ve been saying exactly this every year for the past 6 years.

2 Likes

I didn’t really mean it like that - plenty of players are done for in their last years like Jackson and Leroy. Myers still has two years on his contract, played the majority (??) of games this year, did virtually nothing and made absolutely 0 progress and almost seemed to regress to the point whereby you could make the most accurate AI of all time in AFL Live 2017 by inserting a four-line algorithm into his character (see ball - get ball - turn onto left foot - inaccurate rainmaker hoof - repeat).

2 Likes

Can anyone please explain to me why he got the amount of games he did this year?

1 Like

Worsfold?

I think most fans are asking the same question however.

His big body protected the kids.

1 Like

and why he got 3 years?

It’s really hard to not be critical of him, I’m just hoping someone who actually knows why he was playing, could provide me some info or insight to what role he is playing and why he kept his spot

Because as it sits, I rate him as our worst midfielder which bemuses me that bird or Langford did not get more opportunity than Dave. Neither of them are worldbeaters but for example il use Langford, I don’t see Kyle being ANY worse than what Myers dished up this year, he could of played the exact same role, we could of been no worse off and we probably would know where Langford is headed. But nope. It makes zero sense to me. Which is why, I hope someone can make sense of it for me

3 Likes

Honestly? He’s one of a very few who can actually stand up in a tackle, and his ability in contested situations is still pretty good. We struggle terribly in both those aspects.

But that’s as far as it goes with him. His disposal went to crap, his pace is a problem and he doesn’t have the presence overhead a guy his size should.

I reckon he got games based on what a guy his age, experience and type should be producing. It certainly wasn’t based on his actual output.

5 Likes

I would rather Melksham which is saying something.

While this is true the problem is he often fumbles the ball anyway and thus misses the opportunity to display this strength. He’s not a clean one grab player which holds him back from being a gun big bodied stopagge player.

1 Like

I’m an unashamed Myers fan, so I’ll keep saying it on the hope he delivers.

That said, I was also a massive Kepler Bradley and Courtney Johns fan so I do occasionally back the wrong horse…

1 Like