#23 David Myers Retyers

I’d say he’s been decent (once moved out of the backline) and has a couple of blocks of game where he’s suggested he could become consistently good. And if we could get 50 good games out of him, that’d be a win at this point.

I wouldn’t personally read more into that half than I would into Jerrett’s 35 disposal game, or Howlett’s 25 possession 5 goal blinder against Richmond.

4 Likes

Peeto hating on a fellow west Aussie??

Just about to head out and share a few cans with C Sibosado and C Collard

5 Likes

I suspect if EFC lose to Power, then the coach will start planning for next year - Then players like Myers,Colyer and Stewart who have struggled at time could lose their place.

He may be like Watson, take ten weeks to find his feet. A stint in the twos might not hurt, he looks like he is very fatigued during games.

1 Like

Let’s be honest he is a mile off it and has been in all 5 games. Obviously the coaching group would prefer him to be a part of the team but he’s contribution has been at best modest. I was one who felt we should persist but after 5 weeks his time to work through it in the 2s has come, Langford comes in.

4 Likes

I think people are under estimating his inside body work that is allowing other guys like Zaharakis who is allergic to inside work to dominate.

2 Likes

Bit harsh there.

We need him or another extractor against Sydney though. We have plenty of runners.

Myers has been ok. But we all know he should be playing better.
He’s been playing a defensive role in the midfield, I’m sure the coaching group are satisfied with his role in the team.

I would like to see him muscle the clearances and get that quick 60 meter hoof out of the congested area. Also being a lot more dangerous on the outside.

1 Like

Actually this is what I don’t want to see him doing.

We need to stop the blind kick from congestion and take that fraction more time to put the ball to advantage.

Myers was guilty of the quick kick out of congestion leading to a turnover too often over the past few weeks.

This week that part of his game was largely unnoticeable. I like to think they have made him aware of it and modified his game focus slightly.

1 Like

correct times a million.

We need players who can quickly identify what is the best option. If there is no other option then hoof it blindly but myers, howlett and zaka constantly do it as their first option.

I’d hope they send him back to the 2’s and tell him what he needs to work on, seems to have worked with gleeson, belly and hartley so far this year.

also if you look at his avs’s this year his unconstested possessions are almost double his contested, so the argument people are running with, that his contested possions game helps watson, doesn’t really stand up, he’s averaging 5.5 CP’s a game, If no one else on our list can cover that, then we are pretty ■■■■■■.

1 Like

I watched the weekends game again and after being more or less invisible for the first half he started to show some form in the second with some sharp contested possessions and good defensive pressure. (and where does this idea being trotted out that he provides no defensive pressure come from? Because he doesn’t run down players from behind like Tippa?)

His disposal is the most worrying thing at the moment though, especially given that it’s never really been an issue for him in the past. It does seem to be a bit of a recurring issue with the returning players.

2 Likes

All of the returning players have had problems with disposal by foot this season. It’s not specifically a David Myers issue. I think these returning guys a gonna take abit of time getting used to kicking the ball under immense mental and physical pressure again.

*except Hurley and Stanton (although he’s struggling in other ways)

Aaron SWEET

1 Like

I’m not sure. I saw him do some good stuff at some clearances, but at a lot of the centre clearances he didn’t start in the middle. I think at the moment he’s coming along slower, and should probably try and find form in the VFL.

I will say I’m a big believer that a fully fit and firing Myers is hell of an asset. And given our clearance needs, someone who fits a required cog very closely.

I felt that he had already found form in the VFL before being elevated to the AFL.

What he needs now is to get back up to speed with the AFL.

I felt he played an improved game last weekend because he didn’t just kick the ball away.

He is so very important to our 2018, I think we need to continue to give him every chance to find his mojo again.

2 Likes

Nah. From 2013 on he was a pretty good player around the clearance. Strength, hardness, good hands. Big kick, good head under pressure, apparently a really good organiser and leader.

With that said, its 2017, his good form is a long time ago.
Don’t really see the point in plonking him on a back flank and hoping he remembers how to get clearances there.
If someone like Langford has to play VFL to get midfield time, what point is there doing the exact opposite with Myers.
Or are we trying to re-mould him at this stage of his career?

2 Likes

If I remember right, he was elevated after the Collingwood VFL game? When we beat them by about 110 to 40.
Not sure that sort of game is the greatest proving ground.