#23 David Myers Retyers

You’re not missing anything. If he was highly rated internally i’d expect that to be reflected in his best and fairest votes - his supposed stand-out seasons were 2013-2014, and he didn’t poll top 10 in either. And it’s hardly as though the top 10 in both years was chock full of superstars - guys like Baguley, Melksham and Hocking were polling top 10.

You’re right and wrong IMO, he was pretty handy in 2014, and crap this year.

I’d like to know why Myers was preferred to Bird in selection this year, when Bird is a better inside midfielder.

Apparently, Myers is a great Clubman and extremely popular; rumour has it that Bird is not very well liked. But even if that’s the case, is it sufficient reason for Myers’ selection, given his abysmal performances this year ?

As for Myers’ three-year contract: maybe that’s a good way to reward a great guy and fine clubman, whose career has been blighted by a string of serious injuries, not to mention the “Club Scandal” — I can’t really comment on that. All I’ll say is, a great guy and a top Clubman is just what is needed, mentoring the young blokes in the VFL team.

No they won’t. That would be idiotic.

You don’t delist contracted players lightly and we won’t delist Myers before his contract is up. no chance.

It would be idiotic.

What’s done is done with that contract…

If a trade could be done that would be a bonus.

2 Likes

He will come good. Missed a lot of footy and had an interrupted pre-season.

Bird is not an upgrade on Myers imo. Bird seems to be reaching mythological status based on nothing really.

1 Like

Bird offered more in 2 games than Myers has all season

4 Likes

Disagree completely, they offered the same: no impact.

1 Like

Bird had an impact when he played- especially the first game. He earned his 2 games through good form. Myers was gifted games all season. Myers probably had 2 good games for the season in the 1’s

We will just have to disagree, Bird was underwhelming imo.

1 Like

Bird would have had more impact than Myers 12 possession game in the elimination final.

1 Like

Hmm, its probably easy to forget Bird did’t even get to play 2 games in a row to get a remotely fair crack at it but have a look at what both gave 1st up. Myers came into the side had 13 disposals zero clearances & zero tackles - that earned him a game the following week. Bird on the other hand in his 1st game for the year had 18 disposals, 3 clearances & 4 tackles but that equalled instant omission. He came back in 5 weeks later 23 disposals, 3 clearances & 4 tackles but still not good enough for another game. If Bird had had even 1 fair chance to cement a spot we could compare the 2 instead its pretty obvious Myers was preferred even if form did not warrant.

6 Likes

Bird was very good in the game he played against the saints. His first for the year. His other game was no good

Bird is too slow and can’t spread from the contest to pressure and has no attacking weapons with his disposal. That’s why he wasn’t playing over Myers IMO, not that he is much of an upgrade but even so.

Only got call up when Jobe wasn’t in. As couldn’t play two of same treacle slow/clearance only type in side. No team is doing so.

Moving fwd don’t want Myers or Bird in the team.

1 Like

And myers can?

bird offers genuine finals experience, something our club has almost nothing of, and most of the players that do have only been done in by an average of what? 70 points?

2 Likes

He will just spend a lot of time in the two’s if he plays the same way.

Very ordinary year by Myers.
Move him on imo.

Myers does? Kicking it 10m longer straight to the opposition isn’t actually a weapon. Having shots from outside 50 & getting what was it 1 for the year is not actually a weapon. What we needed for most of the year was some defensive pressure in the midfield & a guy who could physically do what Jobe used to do. Myers was not doing that, Bird did it when Jobe was out but it was poor planning to believe we didn’t need it from Jobe & another mid. I’d have no issue if we were sacrificing inside grunt for some outside pace & class but Myers provided nothing inside outside or in between. His hands in close are horrible, he has zero acceleration from stoppages, he cannot mark anywhere near as well as a bloke his size should & he was unable to quell the influence of any opposition mids that I can recall. There’s simply no evidence to suggest playing Myers over Bird was a nett gain. What we also know is that Bird has played finals including grand finals, to simply ignoring that experience, given our performance, seems perplexing. Bird has been a good player in a good team, finishing 9th B&F in a premiership year, Myers has never finished top 10 in a team that hasn’t won a final.

That’s the kind of logic that has set us back imo. He’ll be 29 next year and at best has been an ok player throughout his career. Whether it be saga or injuries he’s be an ok/solid player his whole career. I don’t see how as he enters his afl twilight years that he’ll all of a sudden after 10 years to come good.

Myers is a C grade player who, largely due to injuries, has averaged D grade performances over the course of a decade.

5 Likes