#23 David Myers Retyers

I reckon Myers will have a good year and will play plenty of footy in the seniors

1 Like

I’m still trying to understand how he was given a three year deal.

2 Likes

We need Myers more this year. without jobe.
small midfield, and Langford doesnt have the agression.

Only hope is that stringer spends time in middle, and Laverde given a crack in their as well.

Unlike Sam Lonergan, he does seem to have the fitness to run all day and is slightly a bigger body, plus a little more versatile up forward/ down back.

His biggest worry is durability, an early injury and one of the youngsters could go past him and hold the spot - Laverde, langford, Mutch, etc

He’s more versatile than Sammy Lonergan, You are really pumping him now.

7 Likes

This thread has gone off track. Can’t we just talk about how glorious his mo is? It’s an absolute belter!

5 Likes

How the selection panel treat Myers will be one of the fascinating things to watch over the year.

It is one of the key things that the coaches may have a very different opinion than the Blitz general opinion.

I’ll be looking for his name in round 1 team selection with interest.

1 Like

If he’s playing it might mean one of those things. Maybe.

Definitely not all of them

He’s going to get plenty of games because we are short of big bodies around the ball.

2 Likes

No. No it’s not. It really isn’t…

This time last year there was a similar discussion around Ambrose. Come round 1 2017 Ambrose was named on the field. So the conclusion you had to draw was that at point Ambrose was best 22. Your point here is the same. Come round 1 if Myers is named in the team it will show us that he is considered in the best 22.
He certainly was named in the senior team consistently last year.

2 Likes

I can’t see us holding back Langford / LAV etc further nor will they be allowing it. They’ll push past Myers. Same goes for Mutch.

He would have been given priority due to the circumstances last year & where the younger players were in their development, I can’t see it happening anymore.

We don’t just want a big body in midfield for sake of it. We want an effective footballing big body at a high level, which he is not and never had been.

Anthony Miles got ejected from Tigers midfield as he provided very little ability to spread from contest and to provide pressure. And no versatility to rest fwd etc. And his numbers as a ball winner and tackler at AFL level are far superior to Myers.

1 Like

Does his contract end this year or next year?

next. rip.

1 Like

I agree about being in better shape if he is pushed out, although I’m pretty comfortable we can be
4-8 with him in the team.

1 Like

The fact that Myers can only really play one role really counts against him.

I have a feeling he’s going to be in the side though.

Full essington.

1 Like

I’m not as negative as some on Myers, but I agree with this point about just one role.

If he is going to play then the coaches must be expecting more from him than last year. I don’t think they’re silly enough to keep playing him if he’s still at last year’s level.
Hopefully it’s a combination of him being better prepared from a second pre-season back and playing better without Jobe in the team as some have suggested.

If Myers is playing regularly I think the lack of pace of him and Heppell will be less of an issue than last year. Most teams have a couple of guys with similar pace to those guys. None of them have a 3rd guy (Jobe) who was even slower and a 4th guy (Goddard) who also isn’t fast.
Sounds like Goddard won’t be playing much midfield this year so we could live Myers and Heppell in there as long as they’re not at too many stoppages together.

Having said all that, i’d still be happier if he’s overtaken by Langford, Begley or someone else.

4 Likes

Anyone have him in the side as a midfielder ahead of:
Heppell, Zerrett, Langford, Smith, Stringer, Zaka, Parish, McGrath?
Goddard in the side as a back/mid, Laverde and Begley competing for fwd/mid spots.

I can’t fit in Myers or Colyer, but i feel like we’re short of big bodies in the guts.

1 Like

Error, error.

He is a superstar at VFL level. Trouble is we rarely see it at AFL level.

2017 he Started in the VFL ( Player Ratings reports)

5 VFL Super on return from injury. 34 disposals, eight marks, seven tackles and one goal. Dons’ can’t wait to have him back. -
6 VFL Impressed again through midfield. 27 touches, seven inside-50s and nine tackles. Ready to go.

Then he asked to be dropped after the port game.,

12 Port Still looks rusty…which is a concern as he’s been back for a few weeks now.
13 Bye.

14 VFL Best game of the season. 32 possessions, 12 clearances and three score assists. -
15 VFL Massive with 35 touches, seven clearances and nine inside 50s. Recall looming. -
16 Coll Wingman grabbed a lazy 31 disposals, added five clearances, five inside-50s and four tackles. Impressive running.

But after the Collingwood game he could not sustain the performance and dropped off again.

For me, now, at his age he either has to deliver, or give way to the younger players, who surely would go past him. If he can consistently deliver “a lazy 31 disposals, added five clearances, five inside-50s and four tackles. Impressive running.” then he will probably be on the team sheet regularly this year.

1 Like
1 Like