#23 David Myers Retyers

Myers to Coleman…

4 Likes

I say old chap, … umm, kick the blasted thing to me won’t you?

There’s a good man. Cheerio then.

7 Likes

No, I don’t.

However it is because my head desperately wants Langford to succeed as his success in the big mid role would make a massive difference to us. I don’t for one second think that Langford has better AFL level midfield performances than Myers. But I think we need to develop him, or lose him.

I don’t believe we are short of a big body in the middle. I’m happy to run Heppell and Langford in there with Stringer and even Goddard for pinch hitting and variation. All the other guys can be our shorter blokes. I really like the thought of Langford and Stringer swapping forward and mid. I maintain that Langford is an excellent medium tall forward.

2 Likes

Myers is a great VFL player no question. VFL is a very different game to AFL though. One is very much a game of territory and the other is increasingly a game of possession. Hoofing the ball long from stopagges is less than ideal in the AFL but isn’t punished in the VFL anywhere near as heavily.

Where in the VFL he can barge his way through and dump it long with a few players hanging off him he can’t do that to the same degree in the AFL and his disposal has to be far more thoughtful than it often is.

While he has the strength to stand up under pressure he lacks the creativity, vision and hands to do anything damaging with that gift and he doesn’t have the pace, agility or evasive skills required to buy himself more time to think about what he wants too do with the ball.

He’s good enough to make a contribution as a senior player but he isn’t going to be the player to take us forward and move us into the upper reaches of the ladder. I keep saying this but if he gets games ahead of Langford and laverde I’ll be pretty dark.

On the other hand if he comes in as injury cover for say hepp or Langford, id expect him to make a valuable contribution

9 Likes

/fxd

2 Likes

This just needed to be said again. If Laverde and Langford aren’t up to beating Myers for a spot in the firsts than all three of them need to be cut from the list.

5 Likes

Hmm…not quite, but would be very disappointing.

I sounded harsh, but this what I meant by Myers having his best year, but still not generally making the 22.
It will mean Stringer IS cutting it as an inside mid, Langford is effective in there, and Laverde is too.

Really it would be ideal if:

Langford/Laverde/Stringer rotated from Mid-HFF-Bench and were all really contributing.

Myers as back up, ready go.

What we forget, is that in all premiership/top 4 sides, you have blokes killing it in the 2’s but just can’t get a look in.

3 Likes

Assuming Myers has a good pre-season, then I expect him to play round 1 and be given 5 or 6 games to cement his spot.

2 Likes

fixed

4 Likes

Yaco please…Oh that sounds about right actually.

I say old chap. Is something up with your banter?

Strongly agree with that summary. Myers is far from the first “VFL dominator, AFL plodder”, and he’ll be far from the last - the gulf in standard between the two leagues is large both in respect of the skill level as well as the physical development of the players, so it’s hardly uncommon for a strong-bodied but modestly skilled guy like Myers to dominate at VFL level but get found out in the AFL.

1 Like

He’s actually still pretty quick at top speed. He’s just very slow off the line, and has very poor agility: basically the opposite of what you want in an inside midfielder.

2 Likes

Winderlich and Chapman had good years too!
5 years ago, move on.

1 Like

Can blitz a press conference

2 Likes

That was a long time ago during times I don’t want to remember

I’m going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway.

This guy is critical to us being successful this year. He is big, strong, smart, a leader and he loves a scrap at the contest.

Without him playing as a permanent inside mid, I’m not sure where our hard contested clearance work will come from.

12 Likes

Big bodied midfielders are a rare species on our list. We have 3 who actually have experience in the midfield.

Another ineffectual game by Langford ( 6 disp 0 contested from 42% game time ) and it seems certain that we will need Myers to have big year.

1 Like

I reckon we need to cut the players returning from suspension some slack. I reckon Myers, Colyer and Heppel were all down last year. Hopefully they’ll return to their best this year.

I was thinking the same thing, the only guy that has strength and aggression in our midfield. Smith is the other one but he is tiny.