#23 David Myers Retyers

No one is saying that, what they are suggesting is that he will assist in this area.

1 Like

I’m saying it.

So you are saying he is the answer to our inside midfield issues??

What?

I said…

1 Like

I think he marginally helps our midfield issue without being a real solution.

2 Likes

David Myers and Kyle Langford are the sexiest specimens here on hag island.

Myers needs to play to the maximum of his potential given his limitations. He is strong, mobile, courageous and kicks long. He needs to stay fit and improve a bit on each of his attributes. That will be enough. He will never be strong overhead, or by hand or quick over 5 metres. But his best is what we need, and together with hepp, zerrett, parish, zaka, mcgrath, goddard, smith & short bursts from tippa, raz & stringer, will form a very good midfield.

2 Likes

I’m unconvinced that his best is good enough to be what we need.

And if it isn’t, I’d prefer we continue to try to find the future answer, even if it isn’t quite there yet (or may not ever get there).

Having said that, Myers will get his chances this year. So we shall see.

If Myers and Langford are waiting for the ball to come loose from a pack I don’t understand their role. Not once did I see Langford try and extract. Over the weekend I saw plenty of bigger midfielders trying to rip the ball out or jump on the opposition to cause pain when the ball was about to be balled up.
Myers has to do things our other midfielders just don’t have the physique to do. Same goes for Langford.

2 Likes

Langford does it at VFL level.

Senior level he is either under different instructions or just not playing his role.

And no one is saying he is. They are saying he will help in an area we are weak in.
Do you want to go in circles again??

Myers is a ball magnet and beast at VFL level. Transfer that to AFL level, and he would be great, but it doesnt work that way.
As I see it, his presence at stoppages going head to head with the oppositions big body mid might allow our smaller mids, Darcy, Smith and Zerret to get the ball out to our runners a few more times each game, but Mysres will struggle to get more than 3-4 clearances himself. Gun inside mids average 7 clearances a game, and the very best make high quality clearances…

Incidently, did anyone notice that Irish had 3 clearances against Richmond ? Thats one less that Dustin Martin and 2 less that game high Darcy Parish, who was the best inside midfielder on the ground on Saturday.

1 Like

I thought Cotchin was soft. He changed his game completely. So it is not only possible but also realistic.

Cochin has always been a gun though.

We may hate 2012 because of Jobe but he was a very very good player then

Even if you want to argue that Cotchin went from soft to hard that is simply a matter of going at the ball harder, his games style is pretty much still exactly the same.

Heppell doesn’t have the physical tools to be what people call a “bull” (Martin, Wines types) and it isn’t remotely the type of style he plays, and players don’t just suddenly change their entire football style in their mid 20’s. Heppell plays a more elusive game, he reads the ball in tight and tries to make time for himself by slipping through gaps. Maybe a slower Pendlebury is an OK comparison? I’m not sure though.

It’s silly to ask Heppell to become a Watson replacement because he plays a different sort of game, we simply need another gun ball winner in that mold to complement Heppell’s individual style.

But he does scrap at a contest and is pretty strong. I think that’s as good as we can hope for this year.

1 Like

I see Hepp as a crafty mid, good part is he works even with being slowish. So he should be as good as this his whole career.

I was thinking more along the lines of contesting for the ball in general play, rather than being an inside bull getting the ball in stoppages, although I now realise that was what MP18 and L2L were talking about.

I think we are overly concerned with the lack of “inside bulls”. We just need to run harder both ways and go at the ball harder. It probably sounds too simplistic but sometimes it is so.

1 Like

I was talking Re: Heppell there, but I am an unashamed Myers fan. Think he can play an important role, laying tackles and splitting midfield marking contests.

3 Likes

For anyone who knows how and/or has the time, i’d be very curious to see Myers stats in games where Watson played v games where Watson didn’t play.

Plus, there was some talk last year about Myers having a positive winning percentage for the games he’s played in. Again, i’d be curious about that stat in games where Myers played but Watson didn’t