#23 David Myers Retyers

To whoever said that it was great to see him having an uninterrupted pre-season like 3 or 4 weeks ago… I told you so, you jinxed him.

1 Like

Saving him for finals

I really feel for him. Great pre season, great JLT 2 and then misses round one. I think people know my views on him but I really hope he gets a crack against freo or the dogs

3 Likes

Myers will play round 1 is joke concept. We all know it doesn’t happen

He did play round 1 in 2015…and injured himself within minutes of the game IIRC!

Can’t take a trick or his body just isn’t up to the rigours of AFL? The clubs persistence with him is nothing more than blind faith. He’s lucky he’s at Essendon is all I can say.

3 Likes

Myers and Fantasia are definitely our biggest losses for round 1 IMO. You could see how important David’s big body was at the stoppages against Geelong.

2 Likes

What is the injury?

Edit: there is none. He has calf tightness and will miss round one as a precautionary measure.

2 Likes

Except anything to do with a “calf” is roughly around a 6-8 week injury at Essendon.

2 Likes

If he played Round 1 and did tear his calf, it might end up 6-8 weeks maybe more. Some older players have developed chronic calf injury and never come good again. Bennell, Wells, Deledio…

i wish myers just had a chronic calf… his whole body is fkg chronic

2 Likes

His last 3 major injuries;
Finger - bad luck, could call it chronic
Collar bone / shoulder - collected head high by Mumford - no ■■■■■■■ free kick - this would chronic anyone
Back - bloke deliberately dropped both knees into him when Myers is lying on the ground - no ■■■■■■■ free kick, and again, would chronic most players.

Yes he had persistent muscle injuries early, but it’s a bit facile to use that as a continuing criticism- he’s just one of those bad luck magnets.

3 Likes

I choose to think it’s precautionary to prevent him from taking the field and getting an injury in the first place.

5 Likes

What was the incident with him getting kneed in the back? I don’t remember that one

Against the Bulldogs in 2015, IIRC. First game back after busting in shoulder in Round 1, was arguably our best player with about 25 touches only to cop a knee to the back about half-way through the 3rd quarter.

Edit: I didn’t recall correctly - I just checked and it wasn’t against the Bulldogs. Whichever game it was he had 22 or 23 possessions as he had a grand total of 23 in his two games in 2015 and only lasted about a minute in the first one.

1 Like

I think it was Hirdy’s last game as coach. Maybe you have blanked that memory out. Wish I could.

That’s correct. I found the game - Adelaide in Round 20 of 2015. He had 22 possessions before going down. It was just about the best I had ever seen him play, all the more meritorious as we were being slaughtered.

2 Likes

If he’d have had another 3-4 seasons like his 2014 and 2015, Disco looks like a genius. He was actually good. Fact is he hasn’t, injuries slowed his development down by 2-3 years, then cruelled him again at his peak, then the ban, and he seems to always take abyear to get up to speed. And chances are he’s only got 1-2 years of his best left now.

But I don’t know what else we can do? Nobody’s paying much for a broken 29 year old. The upside is we may get two good years out of him before a Begley or whoever else takes over that role. As much as I thought we should’ve looked at moving him on over the past 2-3 off seasons, that moment has passed.

1 Like

So Myers playing well is actually a bad thing for the club.

IT’S TIME

FOR REHAB