#23 David Myers Retyers

It’s pretty funny/ironic that the match-sealer from Myers was an attempted centre kick that he stuffed up, considering how bad our goal kicking was all day

8 Likes

maybe our forwards should start trying to centre it more often, maybe the goals will start flowing?

1 Like

No more please.

1 Like

Holding his spot in the side.

1 Like

How did I know it was black kavanagh to bump the Myers thread with bad feedback. So predictable. Are you Langfords manager or something. Myers was just as bad as Langford

1 Like

don’t we do any type of lateral vision or spatial awareness training at the club?
surely the coaches and him notice it each week in his game review where he stuff ups because of his lack of awareness

Did you see Walla touching the ball to the ground and get caught holding the ball

1 Like

Funny, perhaps, but it’s hardly ironic that Myers missed his intended target by 20-30 metres.

3 Likes

Lol, Langford has much more upside than Myers does, lets just hope he gets at least half the chances Myers has had

1 Like

Top 20 in the comp for centre clearances per game, top 40 for overall clearances per game, top 50 for inside 50s per game

And the side which was -2 for clearances per game last year is now +2.4

He’s not a match winner
And does it ugly
And we all hope Clarke pushes into that spot ahead of him.

But that doesn’t diminish that he’s playing a role, an important one at that.

24 Likes

… he was a match winner on sat I thought, regardless if he meant to kick that goal. He stood up big time in the last quarter after a forgettable game and had a bunch of key clearances. In three of our last five games he’s been in our best 7-8 players.

Starting to play some consistent football and plays a role that we have very little depth in.

10 Likes

I agree he is good at winning clearances. But the issue is the quality of his clearances. It would be interesting to see what our retention rate is after a Myers clearance. I would hazard a guess that many of them are blind kicks around the corner that fall into the oppositions hands.

If you are giving up clean possession after a clearance, then you may as well concede the clearance and look to slingshot off half back. The flip side is how well players cover the spread when the opposition win the clearance.

I’m not convinced that the net worth of Myers playing in the middle is a win. It certainly can’t be accurately measured by looking at raw clearance stats.

2 Likes

I said at the start of the season we really are relying on him to play well, I still think that’s true.

I have also been one of his biggest critics this year, but I can’t deny he has not been that bad the last period. He is certainly best 22 at the moment. I also think he could - maybe - build from this for a decent 2019.

But he could also do a hammy and stink it up for 6 weeks when he returns.

2 Likes

17% turnover rate for Myers
Heppell is 19%, Smith is 20.3%, Zerrett is 16.3%

69.9% disposal efficiency for Myers
69.9% for Hepp, 69.8% for Zerrett, 66.5% for Smith

To the naked eye it does look like Myers is a lot more eager to get the ball onto the boot early on in a clearance. I’d suggest that’s not the hanging offence Blitz thinks it is.

10 Likes

I’d prefer not to use Heppell as the benchmark for clean disposal! At least, the 2018 version.

There should be a separate “Player Hate” thread where the really nasty stuff can reside instead of a general thread about a player. That way, you know where to go if you want to read hateful dribble and contribute hateful dribble and uninformed stupidity. That would then leave the player name thread for fans and constructive critics.

12 Likes

He sure does a lot of pointing at the stoppages.

Funny you say that i’m interested to know who people feel more comfortable with ball in hand, Myers cops a lot of flak but i’d prefer him with ball in hand than Heppell, at least he punches it hard and gets distance on his kicks.

:+1: Luke Hodge likes this

2 Likes

Interesting that Smith has the worst turnover rate of the four.
For all the love on Blitz for him, one area of his game I hope he can improve is a tendency for bad turnovers- not turnovers from trying the risky option (Merrett) or even those that just miss the target (Heppell).
He frustratingly tends to blast long blind kicks forward or handball back into traffic/ the opposition when there are better options.

Part of Woosha’s learning process I hope.

In passing, Myers actually hand balled off for a goal on Saturday “Using His Right Hand”.
Had to watch it twice to believe it.

2 Likes