#23 David Myers Retyers

That’s why he’s such a great leader. Courageous use of the like by Hodgey.

2 Likes

All of this is part and parcel of a post I made a few weeks back in one of the coach/coaching threads

Myers is playing a vital role in a much, much improved midfield. For the first time since Jobe was really at his best in 2012-14, we’re actually regularly coming out on top in clearances. We’re defending better than we ever did then. We’ve got better depth than we had then. We’ve got better runners than we had then.

There’s still an issue with turnovers - and Myers is certainly not the solution to that - but let’s give credit where due. It’s actually, as a group and a unit, working.

7 Likes

Isn’t Myers main issue lack of defensive pressure i.e. doesn’t run both ways.

Blind freddy can see he’s effective at clearances … it’s why he gets a friggin game.

Thanks for that. Really interesting.

Is that turnover rate from stoppages or does it include general play?

It’s everything, I don’t know if anyone even tracks it specifically to stoppages, if they do, it’s a paid one.

More agility.
If he can catch anyone, he’s a good tackler and his actual physical size means they generally stay tackled.
But he has shocking agility for a midfielder. Gets burnt on the first step a lot.

He’s actually weirdly fast when he winds up.

As a renowned Myers sledger I have to admit he’s doing enough to earn his spot ATM. I’ve even been pleasantly surprised by his contribution as a hit up high forward when rotating.

My sense is, and I haven’t looked at the data, that he is playing less as a first possession player at stoppages and more in the Hocking blocking/defensive role.

He’s been helped in recent times by us being able to dictate field position in several games which hasn’t exposed his lack of ability a acceleration.

The mark kick game suits him quite will because it hides that same weakness.

1 Like

You would think that these things are analysed quite intensively by the coaches - right?

Thanks Deckham, didn’t consider that. Sometimes I forget that the coaches are always right despite your constant reminders.

1 Like

Well now you’re just being a ■■■■ head.
I was being nice.
You made a statement about specific stats - I gave a suggestion - no need to be farking ■■■■ about it.

Really? I read your post as a smart ■■■■ comment. Does anyone really think that coaches don’t closely scrutinize clearances?

You seem to bristle whenever someone questions the wisdom of our coaches. I think you’re being a bit disingenuous here.

2 Likes

I think Myers main issue is he hasn’t really shown a lot in any other position than midfield. When Myers is rested in defence he can’t defend above his head. When he go’s forward he can’t take a contested mark. Really want to see him get his hoof back so at least when he’s rested on the forward flank he can dob them from outside 50.

1 Like

Yeah. Maybe.

No stats to back this up but I feel like when he’s at a centre bounce if we don’t win the ball the opposition are a high chance of a fast & direct takeaway straight through the centre.

I thought we weren’t allowed to use stats?

:slightly_smiling_face:

I wonder if EFC match committee can’t use proven match fitness as a reason for selection…

He’s still got the hoof. Sent a couple sailing through recently.

l prefer the hoof, to the Hoff, any day.

He’s gonna have a lot of kids snapping at his heels next year, that’s for sure.

Guelfi
Clarke
Mutch
Laverde
Mynott
Begley

And that’s before adding in any draftees or free agents

He seems to be spending more time lurking around half forward. His heat maps for the last couple of games have looked like this. I like it… gives him a chance to use his only weapon - the hoof.

2 Likes

you know that heatmap is suss because it doesn’t show his possession where he hoofed the goal from the boundary

3 Likes