#23 David Myers Retyers

I reckon in this instance first out the door means he’s out of the best 22 for next season. I’d be surprised if he plays on past next season. He’d be a good coach for the youngsters in the VFL next season

You must watch Essendon games, just waiting for Myers to make a mistake so that you can come on here and throw the same tired pot shots around

13 Likes

He played very well against the Kangas, particularly early when we were behind !
25 disp. at 96% eff
10 contested
5 clearances
2 long goals

5 Likes

I reckon people who doubt Myers place might want to listen to Harvey talking his value is @CJohns podcast

1 Like

Exactly

He was better than average in 7 of his last 11 games and was in our top few in 3-4 of them.

He had 4 games when he was underpar and we lost three of them.

His start to the season was ■■■■■.

I think he could be a significant contributor next season and if he gets forced out of the side by someone better it only improves us.

2 Likes

Wait a minute, so it’s OK to have idiots post gifs saying “I told you so” after every one of his 4 good games, but from his mostly other mediore/bad games we’re not allowed to comment on a players form? Even tho if you actually looked back in the thread you’d see me acknolwedge his good games.

But you’re right I just wait all day so I can get idiots waiting to defend the man no matter what so he can get some cheap like votes because it’s more popular instead of actually talking about the players form and trying to have any decent string of conversation about his form? How was he the last few weeks? I’d love him to show what he can show once every month but until we move past him or develop other players like Langford in his place we’ll remain a mediocre club, just like we’ve been for the past 15 years.

2 Likes

Righto then, 4 good games in 16, my mistake.

He was average at best, I’d say well below, against Richmond, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn, so 3 of the last 5 games. Reckon he was average at best for the 3 games before the Sydney game. And lets not get started on his first 5-6 weeks of the year until he was dropped.

He may be the answer next year, but also at 30 years of age it may be time to get a dose of reality and move past him.

He wasn’t dropped at any point.
He missed the first 2 weeks injured.
Played rounds 3 to 5.
Was rested in round 6 because of the short break.
Played rounds 7 and 8 then missed 2 weeks with injury.
Incidentally, to this point he’d had one good game against Port in round 4. I think it’s hard to argue any of his other games were average or better.

Then he came back in the VFL for one game, then played against Brisbane in round 12 and was pretty good and didn’t miss another game.

I think you’re being very harsh on his form over the second half of the year. He’s no star but he was solid and important to many of our wins.
Having said that, I really hope he gets overtaken and becomes a depth player for next season.

Edit: if he has an injury free off-season I really doubt any of the blokes on the list at the moment will overtake him, so he’ll only go out of the best 22 if he gets injured or we trade someone in.

2 Likes

This seems a perennial debate. Comes the next year and Myers is back in the team. Crazy_Bomber is entitled to his opinion but the coaches don’t seem to agree with him. Smith and Stringer haven’t pushed Myers out of the team. I also find this debate surprising given that post round 8 the midfield unit was one of the best in the league.
Does the argument finish come round 1 2019 and Myers is selected in the team?

IMO he gets a spot. Dunno quite yet who pushes him out, which is a sad commentary on the strength of our mids.

One might suggest Begley, but hes coming from a long way back, and was borderline 22 to begin with.

Right and where did we finish again? I think it’ll be more interesting come Round 23 2019 and if Myers is still in the team? if we’re top 4 or doing very well they hey, maybe at the age of 30 he’s turned himself around from the one good in every four or five games guy. I think most likely if he’s still in the side we’ll be a medicore team just like we’ve been the past 15 years. We needed him against Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond games and he was nowhere, those were the games. He beat up on mostly awful opponents in St.Kilda/North/Brisbane.

I reckon if he’s still in the side come end of next year that’ll say more about our development and position on the ladder.

For me I’m hoping they use Langford permanently in whatever spot Myers is having and then trade in someone else (Shiel?) or from free agents. We have Parish/McGrath etc all that can get more midfield time.

I agree crazy bomber. The sooner we move past Myers the closer we will be to a contender for top 4. He’s wildly inconsistent for a ten year player. The way Langford, Parish, McGrath, Smith etc are developing as a unit, it may not be long before he’s squeezed out. We probably need a Laverde or Stringer to spend more time there in order to do that (before knowing any trades we may complete of course) and I think Begley & Mynott May also be developed into a contested style mid although they’re likely a couple years away yet.

3 Likes

Whilst in principal I entirely agree.

But his late season form was pretty good and with another full preseason and confidence he may just surprise. Because when he plays his best he is actually very good and very damaging. We just rarely see it and his worst is a real stinker that costs us games.

1 Like

oh my

So after 11 or so pre seasons, you think next season is going to be the one that David finally puts it all together?

I agree that Myers put in some good performances towards the second half of the year, however I still think his form was still a little all over the shop. I can’t recall two good games in a row.

Breakout year!!

That’s fair. As long as you have that pass mark. My demands aren’t as stringent as yours. Come mid Sept 2019 and David Myers is part of Essendon team that has won a final. To me that’s a pass mark and conversations like this should be put to bed.
To be clear, you have your opinion and I am fine with that. As long as you have a barometer of what is successful that could be applied to any team member.

2 Likes

Average player but best 22 at present. I used to say we will be a good side when Howlett stops getting games (because we have superior options). When the bottom end of our best 22 is good enough to push out the likes of Myers, Colyer etc so they don’t even get a look-in, we will be a far better side for it.

3 Likes