#23 David Myers Retyers

How many coaches has Myers had?
How many of those coaches didn’t have him in their 22?
I don’t know any coaches who pick players based on good bloke factor so what’s he doing right?

1 Like

I think maybe 4? (Knights/Hird/Thompson/Worsfold)
And how many finals did we win under those coaches?
How many times did we finish top 4?
How was the state of our midfield throughout this time?

Instead of how many coaches selected him in their best 22, think how many games in a row has he actually played at his best? Very few. We’ve had one of the worst midfields for the past decade so him getting games when there are few other options says nothing to me? Look on actual consistent performance not how many coaches think he’s best 22.

Remember Hennemen, Bolton, Murphy were all regulars at one stage, many players continuously get games? Now don’t confuse me saying I don’t think he can’t play well, I’m saying at the age 30 he has nowhere near the consistent performance required.

I’ve been critical of Myers for many a year, but he was reasonable this season. Have an inklings he might go ok in the b&f too, given he’s done some defensive jobs throughout the season

Right now, l think he is in the same position as BJ. By that l mean it is up to younger players to show that they are able to offer more, going forward. If he is not selected in R1, 2019 due to increased competition and the exposed form of others, it means we will be in a pretty good spot.

I think the day where Myers is no longer required in our midfield is the day we take ourselves seriously as a competitor.

Whether that be from Langford, Parish, McGrath and our younger brigade coming through or be it from trades like Shiel or some free agents coming in. I think we have the kids and I think we can get also get some through trades.

On a positive note, he can do all the kick ins and replace Goddard.

1 Like

yep this - in a side with a much better midfield he would have struggled to get games. I understand he provides that hard body in the contest and you need that type of player but his injuries and lack of big games in a row in recent years puts him in the middle of the pack. His long kick was his major weapon, but he wasn’t using it as often as he should have. Take that away and he is not that potent.

4 Likes

He only played 16 games, so he’s no chance of finishing in the top 10. 14 guys played more games. Looking at those list of names I’d be very surprised if he finishes ahead of any of them,

It will be interesting to see how his votes compare to guys like:

McKenna (18 games)
Zaka (17)
Langford (16)
Parish (15)
Guelfi (15)
Brown (14)
Fanta (13)

I think most on here would expect most of those 7 to finish ahead of Myers in the B&F…although Fanta had a couple of injury interrupted games in that 13, so he’s probably closer to 11 in reality.

It will certainly give us a good idea of where he sits in the coaches minds.

Aside from that BJ has been told he’s no longer required?

That was a given.

@CaesarCod
Sorry, not sure how to quote text from another thread.

Anyhow, in answer to your question…

No, Myers is certainly not a favourite round these parts.
At the risk of being dubbed a Myers fanboy, there are a select few who continually criticised the 3 year deal like it was the worst contract decision the club has made Post WW2.

Since he is playing some decent (not great) footy, plays in the Seniors whenever fit, is 1 of the few big bodied mids on the list ready for Seniors, and is coming into Year 3, it would be nice if some of the perpetrators of the hate came out said they might have got it wrong.

I’ve made it known previously that barnz is one of those.
Dunno, maybe I’m too sensitive ?

1 Like

16 game season with 4 legit good games.

ok i was sooooo wrong.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/essendon-midfielder-david-myers-reveals-his-mental-health-battle/news-story/e877f385d20f4599c1362ac23ba6a3a7?nk=21869dc9ce7a8fa28c37d4d832b67083-1543462849

Essendon midfielder David Myers reveals his mental health battle

In a very brave and open interview, David Myers has revealed his mental health battle and the toll it took on his AFL career.

And now the Essendon midfielder and Movember Ambassador is hoping his story will inspire other men to share their experiences with illnesses, such as anxiety and depression.

“Men in general don’t tend to talk about issues they’re having,” Myers told Fox Sports News reporter, Drew Jones.

“That’s where we need to improve.”

The 29-year-old suggested there was an inextricable link between his physical and mental health, with a horror run with injury one of the triggers for his malaise.

Myers also conceded the Court of Arbitration for Sport ban for the club’s 2012 supplements scandal had contributed to his poor mental health.

“I probably let it go too long and fell in a bit of a hole,” Myers said.

“And that’s the whole point — as soon as you reach out for help there are great services through the Players’ Association and our welfare department.

“Very quickly what you think are big issues turn out to be pretty easily solved. You just need to order your thoughts and find a way to work through it.”

David Myers (left) with other AFL Movember Ambassadors. Picture: David CroslingSource: News Corp Australia

Myers paid tribute to his teammate, Aaron Francis, who withdrew from the club to better his mental health at the beginning of the year.

“Aaron had flagged he needed a bit of support and a bit of help, which was really brave of him,” Myers said.

“The club wrapped its arms around him. You saw his performance when he came back.

“It just shows that not just for football but for all of life how important it is to feel happy about what you’re doing and where you’re headed.”

Myers said the support within and from the AFL when it came to mental health was immense.

But he was cognisant not all people receive the same assistance.

“It’s something I think clubs are well aware of these days and the support for the players is fantastic,” he said.

“I think if the greater public can get in the position where they’re offered the same support we are then it will help a lot more people.”

22 Likes

Great interview - glad to hear he’s in a good space now after his own battles in 2017.

1 Like

Good on him

As an aside, he mentions he removed himself from the senior team last year for mental health reasons, but at the time many on here were frothing about how terrible our coaches are that players were forced to make the hard decisions the coaches couldn’t and drop themselves. There’s something to be said for not going off half cocked when you don’t know the full story, because things are not always what they seem from the outside.

23 Likes

Unfortunately, dickheads will be dickheads.

5 Likes

Good bloke is Dave. He’ll be fighting for a spot with a lot of other guys next year, but if he puts in the top-level performances that we saw a few of from last year then he’s going to be hard to knock out of the team. Hope he has a great year.

6 Likes

A late bloomer

Kicked some crazy goals one against Sydney where he fooled Florent haha

2 Likes

Must be ready for his break out year!!

1 Like

Injury free,he is more than servicable as a big bodied mid.

Just shovel out the hard ball to the little fellas Dave,and you have a spot.

1 Like

Well said. I hope he didn’t ever read Blitz.

5 Likes