#23 David Myers Retyers

OK, Oliver, Ward, Beams, Kennedy, Cunnington, Selwood, Higgins All centre clearance guns . Right?

Right, David Myers is in there among them ! Needs to tackle about 2 more times a game and get 1-2 more clearances at stoppages to put him right up there amongst the best mids in the game. Mainly he needs to make his clearances more damaging. I am sure he has been working on that. Its a holy grail for all mids.

3 Likes

Yeah you are right.

Just looked through the thread and Nino? and a few of the predictable’s were talking up his appointment.

he does speak very well though does Ball.

1 Like

Have I missed something, or has Myers gotten through the pre-season uninjured.

1 Like

You didn’t just say that

3 Likes

7 Likes

Didn’t like the idea of playing him forward like we did in JLT 2. Would be liability up there

Welcome to the forum, Bomber-A.

Well - he’s 29 - so I guess he’s being given an opportunity to spend more time forward - as lots of older mids tend to do. He does have a decent hoof on him. Dangerous from 55-60m. Better than in the back half, for mine.

I don’t see him ever being a particularly good forward, but the coaches are big on all the mids having flexibility.
Hence Hepp tagging in a game last year, Zerrett at half back and so on.
It’s overall a good thing.

I get that it was more so to give him a rest but it looked like we were thinking that he’s going to be like a dangerfield in the goal square.

Myers is terrible in the air and not very quick when the ball hits the deck so yeah… wouldn’t be resting him there.

Hopefully it was just an experiment like so much of the JLT was for us

Someone has to put pressure on those speedy HBFers.

3 Likes

You do realise he is actually pretty quick, at top end speed?

No agility, and he’s rubbish off the line but he flies when he gets going.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever watched a game and thought, “■■■■■■ hell, that David Myers can move when he needs to”.

So no, I did not realise that he is actually pretty quick, if indeed he is, which I have no idea about.

It’s because he’s pretty poor off the mark and agility wise, which are probably more important for a midfielder.

Your traditional Sam Mitchell style rover is the opposite, great at getting out of trouble in that 5-10m size area, no top speed at all.

Poor off the mark makes you ripe for getting tackled early on, and that can make your decision making look slow.

Myers getting actually injured 3…2…1…

You think we were resting a guy in the 2nd game of pre season?

I love this ■■■■ still. Gun.

1 Like

His top speed is great, but it takes him the length of two footy fields to get to the speed.

Showing exactly why he is in the team.

Parish missed out for this guy.

2 Likes