#23 David Myers Retyers

Still waiting for his breakout year in the midfield

It’s because he has had a few periods of his career where he has had 3-5 decent games in a row and we think his come good. Even I got fooled last year and I rate him as just about as poor a player to have played 100 games I’ve seen. We set a very low bar for David and when he gets to a 5/10 level we get so excited that he is exceeding expectations.
This guy is in our leadership group.

Well, i think just about any player who’s good enough to be on an AFL list would eventually string together a few decent games if they played 100+ games - simple law of averages.

I think it’s a combination of factors which have led to him playing many, many more games than he should have:

• Early draft pick: Straight confirmation bias - early draft picks get many more opportunities to justify their recruiter’s opinion. Happens at all clubs.
  • We’ve been crap for basically his entire career, so pressure for spots isn’t what it should have been.
  • He ostensibly has “leadership qualities”, which we’ve dramatically over-prioritised as a club for 15+ years (at the expense of football ability).
3 Likes

After 10 years on the list he was recognised as our most improved player in 2018.

What a fkg joke of an award and the dickkheads that awarded it to him.
I can’t belive this spud is still playing he is farcking hopeless, and has always been. I’ve always called it, and have not been proven wrong. Only the red n black one eyed supporters thought he was good, well he’s rubbish.

That dinky little kick in front of goal that was intercepted was only lucky the saints player missed a goal I would have kicked. Then his long bomb oob I can go and on.

Farck I can’t go on with this crap anymore. Something needs to change and fkg quick!

Whose the board member that reads Blitz?

Where the farck are you !!

1 Like

He’s terrible. May be a good bloke, but he’s just terrible

1 Like

Please, no more.

Bring a kid in.

1 Like

Did the players or him in the leadership group? Our the coaches? Do the coaches have veto on the leadership group? Regardless, why is he in the leadership group?

Protect the kids?

i don’t understand him being in the leadership group personally but by all accounts all the players love him.

Doesn’t mean he can play.

how doe a senior player get most improved?

still cannot move on from this.

reeks of corporate culture right there.

3 Likes

lol

1 Like

So basically what David has taught us, in order to play 100+ games for the EFC:

-Just be a well liked, good bloke

He is good bloke everyone loves him and um, well he’s a good bloke

Both Hird and Worsfold in the past 12 months have stated how important he is to the team and how valuable he was in 2018. I agree it’s difficult to see at times, but given our past 2 coaches know so much more than you guys, try to make the criticism a bit less personal and a bit more constructive. Especially given that whenever you are arguing against anything Hirdy even thinks, you are totally wrong.

Myers, along with hepp, smith, bellch and fanta & merrett due to injury, are players who were not flogged over the preseason given their injury histories. They have all started the year below their best.

1 Like

then don’t play them?

Not the only player who is seriously out of form. Fanta, Tippa, Smack, Zaka and Brown should be dropped first, but I would be happy to just drop Myers and bring in DClarke.

1 Like

The main issue I have and have always had back to Watson days, is that you cannot have three slow players in the midfield.

It used to be Watson, Goddard and Myers. Now it is Heppell, Myers and Langford. It is exacerbated with Myers because he can only play midfield.

Doing so means you get smashed on the rebound or if you lose the clearance. Add in David ‘Only runs fast offensively’ Zaharakis and it is a recipe doomed to fail.

4 Likes

Someone should tell David and John that all the kids are playing in the VFL team.

This

THIS

I have been pointing this out for years, when the ball bounces out of our forward line the opposition always has 3 to 4 extra men running for a release handball, our men don’t follow because they’re too slow and our backline gets outnumbered

1 Like