#23 David Myers Retyers

Or inside mids that can rack up the footy.

I just don’t get their persistence of playing him when he offers very little as an inside mid. His best year was 2014 or 2018 (both similar). Outside of that he has never been able to either get on the park or make an impact when he does.

Playing as an inside mid you have to be able to find the footy and extract it to the runners. You also have to have the endurance to be at contest after contest. High possession, high handball to kick ratio and lots of tackles. About the only thing he does is tackle, and even then it’s not like his is a Devon Smith level.

He is 30, plays two good games a year and the rest is very average. We need to cut our losses and move onto player who fit the mould of the role they are playing.

I get that Clarke has kicking issues, which appear to be far less not in effect but probably still and ugly action. But he is big, super fit, a contested animal who find the footy on Average 27 time a game the last two years. At AFL level Myers has got more than 25 possessions twice in 2018. We need to give Clarke 5 games to see if he can rack up the VFL numbers at AFL level. As we are loosing out on clearances and our ability to compete at stoppages. We are also stunting player development flogging the dead Myers horse.

1 Like

I completely agree. Brisbane mids are quick and will run rings around us if we are imbalanced. Had great balance last week for a ground like the MCG and ran rings around them. It clicks and then he makes this move. If we match Melbourne in contested ball I don’t think that we need to add another in and under player

1 Like

Incredible narcissism.

1 Like

Yep, agree with that.
He is what he is at this stage. Accept it.

Nobody was complaints last year when he was doing well.

I agree on the aggression side of it but that’s not his fault if its not part of his nature.

It is up to the coaching department to find a role for him where it is utilizing his strengths.

Pendlebury is not an aggressive player either but he has forged a very successful career.

I’m kind of onboard.

If he sacrifices his body over the next 15 weeks or so, meaning Heppell and Sheil arent wrecked come finals. It’s a win.

2 Likes

So now he’s ‘protecting the guns?’

10 Likes

Lol, but yeah.

I definitely want to play the kids. But surprise, surprise they are mainly flankers. Ridley, Redman, Gleeson, Laverde, Begley and hams should get some game time. We haven’t drafted any mids that Myers is taking time off. Well apart from Langford but I’m not sold on him as an inside mid. If you don’t play Myers a lot does fall on either Heppel or Stringer or Sheil to crash and bash packs. I’m not even that sold on Myers being good at it. But geez if we make finals and Hepp and Stringer are cooked we are going straight out again.

Myers best spot is the disposable mid. As in his body is disposable.

Is ‘disposable mid’ a role other teams employ? Do they chuck slow ‘big bodied’ guys who aren’t that good in at clearances, so their gun inside mids don’t have to play the very role they are guns at?

Myers in means less centre square action for Parish, so it is gonna have some effect on developing kids.

6 Likes

The most improved thing sums up this club.

Hepp and Parish and our mids in general were great last week. Finally given a proper run in the middle.

Better get Myers back in.

Feels like we may as well say: hey, we should give Neeld another go.

Myers would be great to bring in if we are to start to have injuries to our senior midfielders. Currently ALL our senior midfielders are available.

So for the last midfielder in the rotation coming off the bench I would pick these guys before Myers.

Langford, Mynott, Clarke, Guelfi, Jok

1 Like

I’ll probably change my mind again once Parish and Zaka are pushed out of the center this week. Probably lose it more likely.

On other teams Bernie Vince played 17 games last year, playing his last game in round 20.

Dustin Martin isn’t used week in week out in the guts even though he is a gun at it. They use grigg and others to lessen the load.

Geelong is flying but Selwood has been taking it easy(kids in this case rather than an old bloke), but he’s been cooked the past few finals campaigns due to the workload.

No side has a full compliment of gun mids.

1 Like

You know the old saying, you cant see the forrest from the trees ?

If anyone at the club seriously and honestly think that myers is the difference between us being iutside the 8 and top 4 , god i hope they are removed from the xlub asap.

This is the worry foe alot of people that this xlub is a bigger boys club than the aus test team.

Jist because they decide ro do something doesnt make it right or in the best interests of the collective whole.

Isn’t that pretty much what Shiel is meant to do? In my preseason best 22 I had Shiel in, Myers out.

So you think they’d chose Myers even though they think it’s not going to give them the best chance of winning the game?

Or you think they believe it’s the right choice but they’re wrong? The boys club thing threw me a little.

I have been trying to categorise Myersy for some time.
Turns out RoCo has summed it up:

Myers is a “big framed midfielder”

4 Likes

You think he has another best spot?

I’ll pay Bernie Vince.

Hardly a strong sales pitch though.