#23 David Myers Retyers

Exactly the point I have been trying to make in here for ages. Every time he goes back to the 2nds he stars. The reality is we don’t have many big bodied mids knocking the door down.

Langford was great on the weekend and I hope he gets a solid block of games now. But if he doesn’t bring that intestsity everyweek his out. And myers likely comes in.

meh i stand by it. Probably could of worded it better though tbh.

not sure i would be taking this playing groups opinion into account too much either

Decision making is hardly a strength of this playing group

5 Likes

We still don’t when Myers is in.

1 Like

In your infinite wisdom has it ever popped into your head that it may have something to do with Myers being very much a known entity at AFL level and Clarke has had 1 game with almost zero minutes in his preferred role
Myers does not replicate anything close to that performance at afl level
Clarke has had 30 odd touches in the vfl countless times since joining the list but not given opportunities as yet

Edit: I’m no massive Clarke fan by any means I just would prefer to give him his chance than continue to see Myers be not good enough for another decade
Would also prefer to see Mutch in the team for a while if he was fit

2 Likes

Q: will Myers ever play in a EFC premiership?
A: No

Conclusion: play the kids

2 Likes

Known?

Known he’s capable of 25+ multiple goal games at AFL level? Known that he was top 10 (5 in most) in basically every fkn important stat for us last season? THAT, is capable at AFL level.

“Does not replicate anything close to that at AFL level” - how about 29 touches and 2 goals last season? Or not close enough?

Regardless, that wasn’t the point. It was more highlighting the bias in this place.

The point is we call for the inclusion of people based off their VFL form… when it suits. You can’t get up in arms, want to sack the coach, call everyone at the club idiots because “player x” had 20 touches in the VFL and “demands a spot” when other players are getting 30 and kicking 3 goals. It’s the same VFL, no matter WHO the player is playing in it.

If it’s a rebuilding thing I get it, if it’s a “I just don’t like him” thing I get it, but ffs you can’t pretend on one hand you want a side picked off form and then dismiss the better form.

3 Likes

That eliminates 100% of our current list, unfortunately.

I don’t agree that its the same no matter who the player is
Would you expect the same output from an 18yr old on debut as you would from Zach Merrett? Its the same afl right?

Myers has played a huge amount of senior footy so when he is dropped to a lower level he ■■■■■■ well should dominate

Then there are cases of guys who play much better at a higher level, Redman is one example in my opinion

We absolutely judge different players differently and so we should there are an infinite number of factors that effect what is a strong performance from different players age,experience, size etc etc

That’s not what I’m saying and you know it.

You don’t judge the players developmental outputs the same but when it comes as to who should be included in the team, you judge them the same. Provided you’re not in a rebuilding phase.

Or do you go “wow player x got 20 on debut in the vfl” and rank it above a senior player who has 40? Of course not.

If Myers performs the same way for a month in the vfl then you would consider bringing him back into the team. Much like how if a youngster performs strongly for a month he should come into consideration

Some players for whatever reason are made to “earn it” with multiple weeks of good form, some only need to show it for a week and they are back in

1 Like

VFL form means nothing with us. We regularly pick blokes who aren’t even in form to play seniors

I’m glad he served his penitence and can now return to the afl for an improved 15 disposals a game.

1 Like

Vlaustin played mid last week and Dusty dominated. Any argument for Myers coming in to nullify one if those two?

If Myers performs better then the youngsters for a month, and Langford isn’t performing in the seniors they will and should bring him in. If young Clarke or Mynott are out performing or performing at the same level of Myers they will bring one of those blokes in instead.

And they should…

If a younger player is consistently performing at the same level as an aging one your pick the younger player.

If not the player with the better form comes in.

2 Likes

The problem here, is that you’re talking logic and sense.

I’ve mentioned this before, where my point was that youngsters may benefit from honing or learning their craft at Vfl level, whereas seniors have learned all they will, and play based on their form.

2 Likes

Myers consistently dominates VFL because he is bigger and stronger than the opposition. The same does not apply to AFL. There is a massive step up.

Mate, seriously? It’s not juniors ffs. It’s the same blokes playing AFL half the time.

2 Likes

Myers had the ball at the end of the Sandy game he then kicked it away.
Yep! You guessed.
A torp.

3 Likes