#23 David Myers Retyers

so in effect he did drop himself then.

3 Likes

Myers didn’t drop himself last year. It was 2017.

No, he stepped down, withdrew, omitted, managed and voluntarily took vacation. He certainly did not drop himself!

1 Like

Meh.

I’m sure he dropped himself. I’m also sure that the coaches probably suggested it to him.

There’d be a lot of PR involved in something like this. He’s a good bloke by all reports who’s gone through a lot with the club, wouldn’t surprise if we’ve just manufactured this nice outcome for him so he can drift off into the sunset as a martyr.

2 Likes

unbelievable

you think the club would manufacture something like this for David Myers who, no matter how good of a bloke he is, isn’t a premiership captain/player, has no media presence and isn’t really one of those “fan favourite” players, just for the sake of PR?

Mmmmmmm, let’s see…How can I be angry about this???

I know…Worsfold!!!

14 Likes

Absolutely. If it keeps him happy post retirement and assists in ensuring he doesn’t spill his guts re his time at essendon, his mental health struggles which I’m sure werent helped by the saga, then yeah, I’m certain they’d happily manufacture an amicable and mutually beneficial outcome with him.

2 Likes

So many idiots in this thread. Or at least one or two. Good on you David!

16 Likes

Just…for me…I can dream up scenarios where it is genuinely worthwhile keeping Myers on our list for another year.

Just to float some examples:

• I can imagine a scenario where Dea/Long/Houlahan all get cut…maybe we decide time is up for Baguley (I think young small forwards can have an impact immediately, whereas it is harder to quickly replace midfield-ready physical strength)…maybe a player requests a trade (desperately hoping not Parish, but who knows)…put some of these things together, and suddenly we are using a very late pick in the draft. We might do our numbers, and decide that we should narrowly keep Myers on for one more year.
  • Imagine a serious injury occurs…say, Heppell does his ACL towards the end of this season, and won’t return until late 2020?..then we might want to keep another mature midfield player on the list, just for one more year.
  • Does Clarke’s great game on Cripps lock in a new contract? Not for me, we need to see his performance for the balance of the year…

I guess I’m just talking about all those “Known and Unknown Unknowns” that could still strike…so let’s just get all the information in before making a decision in the off-season…and Myers’ quality of performance in the VFL says to me that he isn’t physically cooked. He isn’t tearing muscles regularly. He still moves as fast as Clarke/Mutch IMO.

I will admit that his AFL performances need to be better when called upon…he shouldn’t be halving (or worse) his impact between the two levels…but I feel like there has got to be a coaching solution to that, somewhere, to at least narrow the gap.

2 Likes

David doesn’t need to be kept happy in retirement with that sort of stuff. He is one of few blokes that have looked further ahead in life and made solid plans for life after footy, not just the ones the clubs suggest , but ones he has an interest in and wants to pursue.

3 Likes

Really cut him some slack, his best interests are the club and obviously feels he has something to offer. I wish him well and hope he enjoys life

7 Likes

Sorry, Myers I’m sure is a great bloke but the time for free contracts is up. Let’s get a grip. We’ve already given a lot of very dubiously long contracts that were unwarranted. He can’t keep up with the pace of the game, his kicing isn’t what it was and his fingers aren’t the same and he’s been making costly errors. His time at AFL level is done.

If we’re keeping an aging, slow midfielder who by his own admission should be dropped for younger kids on the list for a “break in case of emergency” type then we’re truly f*cked, all due respect but he is done. Let the kids play. We’ve seen what can happen.

I’d be very happy if he got a VFL contract.

6 Likes

Do you think Clarke/Mutch are quicker than Myers?

That’s great to hear

I thought I read that he got an ATAR of around 98% and successfully pursued tertiary studies.

1 Like

In the mind and with decision making? Yes. Pace has nothing to do with ability.

2 Likes

What a ■■■■■■■ joke that a player needs to drop themselves because they are playing rubbish.
Our club has no backbone anymore, like when Xavier Campbell had to apologise.

WEAK!

3 Likes

2 Likes

If he doesn’t 'play another game in the seniors again I wish him all the best. Injuries really stuffed his career and didn’t get a good run at it. Also being banned for a year didn’t help either. Great bloke by all accounts.

5 Likes

Would have been an excellent player in an earlier era. Eg. 80s or 90s