#23 David Myers Retyers

You don’t have to play. You could be a streaker and get mentioned.

1 Like

If he didn’t drop himself, I’m assuming he just destroyed the compromising pictures he had of Whoosa which led to his demotion.

Surely the story was somewhat stretched for clicks.
Find it hard to believe that someone can drop themselves with no input from head coach.
Think there would have been many factors into the decision, Myers probably played a part in it, but in the end it can’t have been just his choice alone.

3 Likes

Isn’t Myers dropping imself a prime example of a player driving the club? That is how it appears to me.

1 Like

Yeah I agree with that, but in Myers case and others they may be out of form for months before being dropped, or never.

Looking at it from the perspective of a young player in the VFL I would be worried about getting games.

Using Zaharakis as an example some believe he should be dropped(I don’t agree with that) but maybe Woosha may never do it.

I think it’s pretty obvious that the younger players like Langford, Ridley, Parish, etc. get dropped a little easier.

3 Likes

Younger players don’t always get dropped on form alone. Sometimes they are dropped to work on things to become better players. It’s not like there’s an opportunity for the club to send Myers to the VFL to work on his forward craft at this stage of his career.

The people you talk about (not you) are going to be disappointed cause Zaka isn’t close to being dropped. The heat will come for him from Blitz cause Myers isn’t playing and bagging McNeice and/or Bags doesn’t quite cut it. Thankfully Worsfold and the coaching staff know better.

8 Likes

Yeah, I think Zaha is pretty underrated around here.

Does his job most weeks and can also have the occasional blinder.

That’s all you can expect from a player that plays predominately on the outside with occasional stints on ball.

Myers on the other hand has far more games below what should be expected of a player that only provides value around stoppages. If he could be used in defense or forward or even in an outside role then he could be valuable but he can’t so therefore he really needs to have a bigger presence at stoppages.

Clarke on the weekend had a better game than anything Myers has ever done and it was only his second game.

5 Likes

I think some supporters look too closely at what Zaka isn’t capable of doing and cast aside what he does week in and week out. Calls to drop him after the last game when we won, he had 25 and 550 metres gained in the wet, don’t make much sense to me.

I’ve liked Myers in our side and I thought he had a good year last year and was easily in our best. He deserved to start in our 22 this season but his influence has been minimal and a change was due. Clarke was incredible on Saturday but we shouldn’t forget that Myers has had a number of very influential games. I wasn’t concerned that Clarke wasn’t getting a game because I didn’t/don’t think he is AFL standard. Certainly last week has proven that he is capable and I hope that he builds on that and proves my original view wrong.

16 Likes

the coaches have done myers no favors. if they dropped him earlier he could have made some adjustments at vfl level and then come back to see if they worked. Woosha is a turkey though. Most people actually like myers and just got sick of him not having to go back to earn a recall. I don’t see the point of woosha if the players ‘drive everything’.

Annoys me when this keeps being brought up

Woosh stated in response to this being questioned that it doesn’t mean he doesn’t coach, and ‘simple people’ might choose to interpret it that way but it isn’t the case.

Merely that great teams become heavily player driven. As in experienced players driving standards, adjusting in game to different scenarios without need for coach’s instruction etc

Those experienced players & the team also don’t get to that point without the coaching accordingly.

6 Likes

The trouble is, because of injury we’ve rarely, if ever, seen the best of David Myers. It’s unlikely we’ll ever see him produce what the recruitment people thought we’d see when he was drafted in 2007.

1 Like

Yeah man, can’t kick a torp because of his ‘mangled hands’

Takes all types and talents to make a football club. Quality and leadership right up there. Myers respected by all, especially the coaches. Has always worn the jumper with pride, prepared professionally and had a go.
And loves the club.
Nuffnuffs on here bagging the bloke, wanting to pee him off miss the mark completely.

8 Likes

The same people “think” Hurley and Hooker should be traded, Heppell should play back flank and TBC is cooked. And on and on the list goes.

7 Likes

Agree with all of this. Great post.

1 Like

‘Simple people’!

Well, you’ve picked that mark in this forum.

1 Like

No different to a normal work place. As a supervisor you appreciated (seek) the people in your group to take on and show initiative. Otherwise you, the boss, are having to do all the lifting yourself. I think it’s the same here with Worsfold. He and the coaches set the direction, set out key programmes, plans, targets etc. If all the players do is just follow what they have been told then great that’ll get them to a certain point. It may be enough to win a flag.

But if the players go beyond that and take real ownership of the process and seek to drive it further then there is a chance they will do even better.

During a game the distance between the coach and the players is significant, and the better teams will sort through it themselves on the ground while a coach seeks to effect changes. Which by then it may be too late and the next issue will have arisen to be dealt with.

1 Like

and there is the key issue on how to achieve that, they “become” player driven, they rarely start out that way though, because generally the coach is strict with the standards and the like, then he passes over responsibility to the players to stick to his vision of how he wants the team to be run.

and the issue some of us have with this thinking at present is, apart from stringer at present, smith and goddard to a degree, no one in our recent history of players or even coaches have experience in being successful within the last decade.

so what standards do the current crop of players know ? other than the passed on habits of previous generations of poorly performed teams at this club ?

edit ok rutten as coach has said experience of being in a successful environment, but apparently his way of playing was too hard.

I reckon you’d be a lot of fun at work functions.