#23 David Myers Retyers

Has never been and will never be a good defender.

Is a good midfielder who we could really use right now. The guy has a cannon for a leg so let him use it in the midfield

Please dont play him in the backline ever again.

Hope the backline was a one off.

2 Likes

Woosha will be stubborn. Probably play him on Hawkins.

Cant get behind that.

Hepp is a weapon across HB, moving him there to allow Myers to dominate the clearances would be a good coaching move.

3 Likes

So many questionable coaching decisions by woosh this year. Seems to lack a complete ability to make changes on gameday. Gets consistently outcoached. Our wins this year have come from: Round 1 - Emotional as fark, got the boys over the line, plus hawks are ■■■■. Round 2 - barely scraped past the lions, who are also ■■■■. And ANZAC day - another big, emotional occasion against a struggling Cwood.

Really not too high on woosh at the moment. Just makes mind-boggling decisions at selection and on gameday.

Myers should be played in the guts. Period.

If he’s being played back as a protective mechanism to ease him into playing for fear of injury, then really he shouldn’t be played at all. We’ve seen plenty to show that he ain’t no backman.

And really, if he can’t play the rest of the year as a midfielder then unfortunately it’s time to pull the pin. This is his tenth year, right? Our mediocre club just cannot continue to carry guys for years in hope. We know that Myers CAN play, but we knew that with guys like Winderlich and Dempsey too - it’s just not often enough.

We have all known for a very long time that Myers is not a defender. He has played in the middle in the reserves and we play him for his first game back as a defender.
That’s fine, but then not to try him in the middle or up the ground, or rotate him anywhere is just a poor coaching effort.
It is not about fitness at all, as the fitness staff have said he has completed all of the running etc over the preseason.

2 Likes

“Woosha we’re being smashed in the clearances, the longer this game goes. Maybe we should throw Myers in there, you know, like the way he plays in the VFL?”

1 Like

Perhaps what he is up to is just beyond some in the outers comprehension capacity?

Remember,. he has all the info, . we have very little,… and he/they have & know the plan.

I know it’s controversial, … but maybe you’d be better served to try & see what that might be, rather than thinking they are the idiots?

2 Likes

Nah, keyboard warriors FTW! :wink:

1 Like

The point about him being versatile is the most relevant one. No successful team has mids that only play mid. The best 1-2 combo in the comp both spend time forward to rest and allow other midfield rotations and that’s simply what all our mids have to do. Myers included. If he can’t develop some flexibility in his game he’s not gonna play seniors.
It’s about number of options who can play in the midfield to maintain intensity around the ball. If you just stick the same 4-5 guys in there all day they’ll blow up, intensity will drop off and your opponent will simply walk the ball out by the end of the game… oh hang on…

Ah yes, coaches are always right, even if they are undeniabley stupid, they are right.

maybe, just maybe, the coaches (that know the player and make the decisions and have relationship with the player and have a plan for the player and the team that is longer than this year, possibly for the next few years) put him down back to start adding a second string to his bow AND let him play off HB so the game can unfold before him?

There was a wee 620 odd days between games, and the last one he played in was only for a minute and a half. in round 1.

So really it’s closer to 700+ days since he has played at the level.

Or all of us experts who post on this site that have nothing to do with football beside watching a game a week and spending inordinate amounts of time on a forum during a workday should be in charge and in our collective might can take the club and our gameplan back to the late 80s and 90s when footy was tough and every one went in hard. Hard a dart , a steak and tinnie at half time, then got smashed at the social club until the early hours.

1 Like

I tell you one thing they got right… he managed to get through the whole game.

If I’m David Myers and the EFC, I’d be chalking that up as a massive win.

10 Likes

Should totally put him on Tom Hawkins this week. Its time to double down

1 Like

All I know is, you’d have to several kinds of stupid to be making any judgements at this point.

I think he would be better across HF than HB.

Of 13 possessions last week 7 were turnovers.

Hopefully first game back nerves out of way as he cant be played in senior team with that kind of inefficiency.

Plays in the middle for mine. Extractor.

1 Like

Exactly. Leave him in there.