#23 David Myers Retyers

Equally, all that time off injured has probably allowed him more time to work on coaching / strategy.

He may find that while his career has been very frustrating, that it will set him up strongly for his post-football playing career.

Give him a few centre bounces ffs

6 Likes

Building nicely. Expect him to break the 20 possession mark this weekend

1 Like

Its not at Mummy like levels but feel like others walk taller with Myers in the side.

Whilst on the topic. I also liked Hooker coming in and roughing up some Geelong players when they knocked one of our players in the first quarter last week.

Small Worsfold like signs of controlled aggression coming through. We need to build on that.

2 Likes

Need him in the middle to rotate with Jobe so we ensure at least ‘1’ big bodied mid is in the middle.

Goddard is big bodied, but less physical than Jobe and to a lesser extent, Myers.

If you compare round 1 to round 8 there are 5 changes.

Round 1: McKernan, Langford, Ambrose, Gleeson, Stanton

Round 8: Leuenberger, Stewart, Myers, Dea, McKenna

Ruckman and third tall are like for like. Issue is that we’ve dropped 3 back men and that’s kind of forced Myers to fill out one of those or the undefined Stanton role.

Would be interesting to see who out of McKenna, Dea or Myers makes way if Ambrose was available. Or would Hartley make way…

Similar experience years ago at a VFL game at WIndy Hill . Myers led the huddle , led on the field , and kicked the clinch goal . In the huddle ,he passionately expressed his desire to Smash the C***s . Don’t underestimate Myers .

2 Likes

Equally, all that time off injured - and the WADA ban - allowed him more time to work on his right-side skills, burst speed, skills above his head and endurance - you know, minimise his weaknesses! Yet to see it. (Do you really think players mid-career focus primarily on a career after their playing career?)

1 Like

…Strong side!! #almost

His possession tally and influence on the game is building week by week. Won’t be long before he puts in a big one

3 Likes

If he could improve his overhead marking he would be a vastly more valuable player than he already is

I reckon his spot is safe for few more weeks. he is building, and will be allowed to continue to do so IMO.
Not timing his kicking yet, maybe has lost kicking power, will it come back? Those shots he had around 50 didn’t get expected distance, but a long way.
In our best 22 if firing. And as others said, coaches love him, he is a bit like a general/quarterback - we have a few of those now, directing things from HB
he kicks one big goal and he will be right - boys get around him and he will fly IMO

From today’s media…
Hope his luck changes.

‘That is why we came back’: Banned Don’s goal

Peter Ryan June 2, 2017 7:01 AM

Newsletter

RSS

AFL 2017 Round 10 - Richmond v Essendon
David Myers (right) is back reunited with Dyson Heppell

Related

Plan B: Who steps up if a key player goes down?

“[I’m] not where I want to be at the moment, but [I’m] trying to work on my game.”
Essendon midfielder David Myers

FOUR games into his AFL return, Essendon midfielder David Myers is still searching for his best football.

He wasn’t too disheartened with what he described as a slight step back in performance against Richmond at the MCG after three encouraging weeks on the trot.

Myers has reason to remain confident the instinctive moves that made his swinging left foot such a dangerous prospect in 2014 and 2015 will return.

He is doing the work and is physically sound but after just two games – both cut short with injury – in two years during 2015 and 2016, patience is required.

“[I’m] still game-wise obviously getting into the swing of it,” Myers told AFL.com.au.

“[I’m] not where I want to be at the moment, but [I’m] trying to work on my game.”

The level-headed Bomber did not make his long-awaited comeback until round seven when he ran out against Fremantle at Domain Stadium after a finger tendon injury delayed his season.

He took time ahead of the warm-up that night to reacquaint himself with the ground in the state he left in 2007 as a 17-year-old to join Essendon.

“I didn’t want the first time to [familiarise myself being] when the ball got thrown up. I did want to tick that box early, so yeah, it was nice,” Myers said.

His season-long ban, a European summer holiday and the emotions that ran like corrugated iron at the end of 2015 were now behind him and he could once again play the game he loved with a free mind.

“I felt like, ‘I am back doing what you are paid to do and what you have committed your life to doing so far’,” Myers said.

He has noticed subtle changes in the game with the pressure higher than he remembered it being. The interchange cap has also meant more time on the ground and, obviously, his teammates have changed.

“You learn to play with different guys and instinctively make decisions around the ball based on who is there because you know what their habits are,” Myers said.

“That just takes time. You can’t rush that.”

But it’s a challenge he is enjoying, given the X-factor some of those new faces, such as Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Josh Green, have added with their zip, pace and goal sense.

“I wouldn’t want to defend them,” Myers said.

This week, he heads interstate to play Greater Western Sydney, a team that established itself as premiership favourite while Myers was in footballing exile.

He is keen to see his team tested against that level of competition because it’s where he wants Essendon to be as soon as possible: in premiership contention.

“That is why we came back because we thought we could win one with this club and the list and everything we had in place,” Myers said.

“That is why we are here. We’re not here for any other reason.”

The firm statement from the commerce student indicates he has unfinished business.

But right now, he’s enjoying just being back in the football flow, a return to the feeling he had when the game was fun.

“It’s just footy. It’s nice being back in the swing and enjoying all that goes with it.”

7 Likes

HOOF

He’s due a break out game. Hope the inclusion of Gleeson and Stanton allow him to push in the midfield more.

Break out game? Isn’t he like 28?

3 Likes

Tickets on yourself much?

3 Likes

In context of the year, suspensions and injuries over the last few. We forget he’s coming back from a longer lay off than most.

Should be cherry ripe by the time he turns about 30 then.

1 Like

It’s still worth noting that he missed the last 2 years and had an interrupted preseason. I still have time for him, despite some rubbish games recently. Not sure I want him dropped, even though he probably deserves to be.