#23 David Myers Retyers

Parish theoretically fit.

I hope so but assumed not. I’d just think a calf would be a 4-5 week injury.

Like many of the arguments put forward around here, you seem to be under the impression that current form is static and that he will never improve. Should Hurley, Hooker, Watson etc have been banished to the VFL at the beginning of the season as well?

I’m not against him going back to the VFL if on balance that’s what’s best for the team, however it probably won’t help much with readjusting to the speed of AFL again.

1 Like

im only judging on what he’s shown in his 6 or so games this year.

If the question is who’s more likely to improve between a 2nd-3rd year, or a guy who’s now in his 10th year, I think it’s a prettt obvious answer.

Apart from those players were either All-Australian players or Brownlow winners and regained form within a few games. Myers has had one above average season so far in his career and played 6 games straight this year without showing any signs of improvement.

If I had the choice between Howlett and Myers I’d go Myers but that’s not saying too much right now.

Why is this a surprise how he’s playing? For most of his career he’s been underwhelming, or injured. Giving him a 3 year deal was a terrible list management decision. I don’t see him a part of our future. Would love him to be a key because we could really use him in form and it’d help the side a LOT, but I don’t see it. Hope I’m wrong

4 Likes

On a radio interview the other day Worsfold was saying that he is very happy with the side at the moment and will not be making changes unless needed, least he disrupt the team chemistry that seems to be going ok at the moment.

This comment was more in the context of 'when will McGrath go to the midfield?" but I think it can be used for the team in general.

I think all you can read into that is that like for like changes are more probable at this stage

Playing like a guy who hasn’t played in 2 years. Who would’ve thought?

He’ played like that most of his career.

3 Likes

Nope. His return form isn’t typical of his form from 2013 and 2014. He was never been a world beater, but he was a valuable player and I hope he gets back there soon.

6 Likes

Post reported.

2 years isn’t most of his career.

He is getting caught a lot in traffic, his handballing is not up to speed, his kicking is not back to its best. He should be back to his best in the next 2-3 games. But is his 2017 best good enough for this team?.

So he had a good year or two 4 years ago over a 8 year career? That’s almost as bad as people saying 2 years ago pears was good in 2009 and “just needs a run at it”

4 Likes

The sad bit is that the 2 years is pretty close to half his career. He played 38 of his 91 games in those two years, so in terms of on field output its nearly half his career. Even if you say that means half his career has been ok, it’s pretty ugly reading those stats.

I’m a massive rap for Myers and have been all his - frustratingly injury-riddled - career but he is clearly struggling at the level right now. Parish comes back if fit, probably at Howlett’s expense.

Then the question is who do I want to look at to improve the side in September? I know what Hocking, Stanton and Bird can do. Mutch, Ridley and Begley may all improve the side in September just probably not this one - Francis is in the same boat. To me that leaves Langford as the one I want to look at and unfortunately Myers makes way for him.

1 Like

I’d suspect this Friday is about Myers last chance to start turning the corner in the 1s otherwise you can’t continue to reward games to guys who don’t perform. Hope he has a huge game Friday

What in you mind does he need to do retain his place? What constitutes a huge game?

Probably not go missing for large periods of the game. Actually have a influence on the game instead of racking up 14 meaningless touches. Someone who is rated as highly as Myers at the club and on here should have no trouble collecting 20+ touches and that’s the kind of game he needs. His disposal tallies this year have been 18, 20, 15, 17, 14. He’s also only had more than one tackle twice in 6 games. Both of them stats are not good enough, he needs to improve plain and simple

What constitutes a huge game? I’m not sure, but doing the above is a good start