#23 David Myers Retyers

I wouldn’t be playing him ahead of Langford at the moment, but stamping his papers as done would be foolish.

He was a very effective AFL player.

Not all the guys returning are going to hit their straps immediately- maybe it’ll take him another preseason to get back to where he was?

3 Likes

I hope not, because where he was was chronically injured

3 Likes

As much as iv’e always thought Myers was overrated on here i did think he could have been handy against the swans the other night. At least one guy in the middle with some strength that could of laid a tackle that stuck on kennedy. It was arguably the one side he may of been handy against with their older, slower big bodied mids.

1 Like

Some of his strengths have been nullified by our gamestyle.
Sure, there will be times when a Myers HB receive in the centre will result in 60m bomb to a one out Hooker or JD.

Unfortunately for him, most of our positive attacking runs require our plodders (Watson, Heppell, Howlett, Langford) to get the ball into the hands of our speedy players, or to guys like Zerrett or Goddard who can use the ball by foot.

He needs to work on making quicker decisions, and his handball skills.
If he plays less than 10 games in 2018, he’ll be in different colours in 2019 (regardless of contract status).

1 Like

He certainly helped the VFL side on the weekend.

Got a very important month coming up at VFL level. We play 3 of the 4 sides directly above us on the ladder.

1 Like

I wonder what the saints were offering for him? Might have been a blessing in disguise althoughhe was starting to look good at the time. He’s just too inconsistent. Not one of Dodoro’s better moments in the first round.

Ive said this earlier but if kids like Ridley, Mutch and Parish are getting similar numbers in the VFL compared to Myers shouldn’t the kids who have scope for improvement be getting games?

1 Like

He gets plenty of time to get his mojo back, 2.5 seasons. He has been really poor so far but he isn’t helped by the fact that Watson, Goddard and Heppel are all slow players. He gets a better look at it next year with Watson not in the frame.

Yes, as Whoosh has said. But they haven’t.
Parish is at a different level and shouldn’t be included in that sentence.

Ridley looks a preseason away though. Or a gleeson replacement. I think he reads the play really well and kicks well

Mutch and Ridley had 1 less disposal according to the VFL report?

That’s just one game.
I imagine Mutch will get a run at some stage, but personally, I don’t think that either are quite ready for debut yet. I may be wrong.

I’d be playing Begely and Mutch for a debut before bringing Myers back in. He needs time to regain his game sense and get used to playing regularly again.

I have no doubt he will be back in the side by years end and playing good footy.

1 Like

What do you know of Begley and Mutch that makes you form this opinion?

I can kinda see Begley get a run some time later on in the year, if circumstances go that way in the forward line, but I think Mutch is a pre-season away from playing.

I don’t know why, but I still think Myers will finish the year in the best 22. Build on his numbers last week, keep kicking more. He won best defensive player a couple of years ago for his defensive work around the ball. There’s still a spot for that in our midfield rotations, and if he can get enough of the ball and kick it enough to be dangerous then he becomes an option. When you have the players who can run the ball to break the lines, then someone who can kick the ball over the lines can be a very handy asset, to either free up the runners, or to get the ball into space for them. But he needs to be getting more of the ball to be doing that.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with him.

It’s good to blood kids from time to time and we haven’t since Anzac Day. Myers may hit some form no doubt, but at the moment he does look a fair way off it. I’ve been very impressed with mutch when ive seen him a couple of times this year, he looks a player (you can’t not love a bloke whos reaction to hodge shoving him around is to chop him one in the throat), BEGLEY, well he’s obviously a talent and everyone loves him from kicking 4 against Brisbane, and from all reports his vfl form has been real good of late

But point being, it’s good to blood kids every now and then. I’d have no problem if one of them got a taste, and back to the vfl

3 Likes

Based on what I’ve seen I’d be going, begley, Ridley and then mutch…which means next year for km

1 Like

Begley would be next in line if any of Green, Tippa or Fanta miss a game. If we get to round 20 & we can’t make finals then we should see Begley, Ridley, Mutch, Redman & Morgan all played in the last few games.

Nothing other than I want to give new guys a taste. Both have had patches of good form so it’s not a complete gift or a game. I’d rather do it now then try settle the side before season end.

I can see Mutch playing that classic marking wingman role. Let’s see if his ball winning ability can translate to AFL level.

With Begely I’d like to get him a taste to really encourage him for a big preseason. I would also like to see how a power player like him can work in the forward line.

1 Like