#23 David Myers Retyers

For a midfielder he’s got absolutely terrible agility and ability to find that little bit of space. Almost everyone we have is one sided but he sticks out as it being a problem because he’s so easily hemmed in.

1 Like

I’d be perfectly happy for the club to trade him FWIW.
He’s a better than useful player when he’s up, but fact is the good spells are few and far between. And he’s 28 - he might not even be playing in another 2 years.

It’s a fair question whether or not the 3 year deal was always a bad bargain.

Myers + 3rd Rounder

I think Langford and Laverde will be more rounded players than myers in 12 month’s

Sure he is not a long term solution, like a Kelly/Hopper but for the purposes of playing finals in 2017, I just want our midfield to stand up, and based on what I saw last week, Myers is about the best option we have right now in terms of additional big body.

He is a very limited player, but the fact is apart from a 33 year old Jobe we don’t have anyone better so until we address this glaring list issue he is an important player.

We would have got a 2nd rounder for him, same as Melksham & Hibberd,

Neither Morgan or Redman are looking the goods atm, so you have to say the Dees are well ahead on both these deals. Morgan looks to be a likely delisting & Redman might be a vanilla type that plods his way to 50 odd games over 5 season’s as I don’t have high hopes.

Turning over older players just for the hell of it, is not always a wise move.

And again I say, no Howlett, Hocking or Jobe at centre bounces next year, who is going to provide the muscle? Hepp can do it at times, but can’t do 100%

We’ve had no Howlett, Hocking or Myers in the centre bounces all year and it doesn’t seem to have been such a problem.

you missed one

Sorry too early to make the call on Begley re Hibberd deal.

But Melksham deal still looks like the Dees are ahead. Melksham is still a handy player, no matter what people say on here

I think it’s pretty fair to say Jobe’s on a different level to Howlett Hocking or Myers.
We certainly need to plan for Watson’s replacement in the next two years, I just don’t see Myers as either that close to his level, or all that safe a bet. Best case we get 2 more years of what he did in 213 & 2014 and we’re back where we started. Worst case he has another interrupted pre-season and we’re waiting 10 or 14 weeks for him to find touch.

As I’ve said all year, I think the smart darts for Essendon is to admit that Myers’ age group (Howlett, Hocking, Bird, Mitch Brown, even Bellcho) have basically done their dash and throw in our chips with the Heppell generation and down. I’d do everything to keep Hurley and Hooker, but happily trade the rest.

Ah, tippa?

Melksham is handy, but do you think we’ve really missed him? He was always an odd fit and I’m not sure the Dees know what to do with him either, forward sometimes, tagging sometimes.

I see Myers as the in-betweener, wedged in between Jobe & the long term Jobe replacement.

See I reckon we will be challenging next year, but not without a strong presence in the middle. I don’t want to wait until 2020 to challenge, waiting for this clearance monster to magically appear.

I don’t see it as that close. Unless we can find 2 more good mids before Watson/Goddard go. Likelihood of that is low, so I think it only really makes sense to aim that tilt at post Watson/Goddard which is probably 2019.

How about we give the kids a chance to show they can do it? Carlton have 5 rising star nominations this year, and we still have people that want Howlett and Hocking at centre bounces so they can provide “muscle” or whatever that means. How about they learn to impact a game of football before they start throwing their body around and not actually do anything useful.

I must be in the minority. Just watched that game, saw him as terrible and stuck out as a sore thumb as perplexing as to why he was in over Langford (all things considered).

I thought his first half was horrible.

His last quarter was very, very good.

I would think langars will be filthy as he was probably on song to also play well against pies. Langars has a future but where !!! Myers a good player but 3 years contract !!! yes 2 with review but thsts foity life.