#24 Craig Bird - Delisted

Xavier Richards played 10 games in 2016 including the GF.

It is also possible the coaches have asked a certain thing from him and he isn’t doing it.

For the pro-Bird posters rather than saying he should be in, perhaps tell us who comes out of the team for him. Who would you play him ahead of?

It’s also all well and good saying we play more than1-2 clearance players, of course we have others rotate through there but they all generally have a capacity to play other roles.

There wouldn’t be another side in comp who is playing 2x slow inside mid ONLY players. Which is what we would be doing with both Watson and Bird.

For the record I really loved what Bird brought to table last year but with Watson and Heppell back and Goddard getting more inside time (and doing a great job) he is understandably back in the pecking order behind All Australian / AFL captain level players.

At this stage i would have him in the team instead of Watson (but that is never going to happen)

Or i would have him in instead of Howlett

Bird comes in, howlett goes out. Watson and Bird rotate. When Bird goes in the middle Watson rests up forward.

1 Like

Again, I think he is a better option right now than Myers, Howlett & Hocking. None of them can really play other roles either. Howlett has had mixed success as a half forward but never been consistent & I think we can all agree that Myers as a back didn’t work not to mention Hocking playing on Lecras :fearful: I can’t see any reason to believe Bird couldn’t have played instead of those guys & at a minimum performed as well.

Watson yes Heppell no, seems to have dropped a fair way back in midfield rotations.

Goddard Zerrett and Zaha in there too. Howlett and parish at times.

1 Like

Better idea, neither of that 4.

1 Like

There aint nobody wishing harder than me that our midfield was well beyond any of those players getting a game.

As of this week it should happen when Parish comes back for Howlett.

Defensive mid of our dreams, compliments the midfield so well, if only we’d had him available the last 16 games :confused:

5 Likes

Doesn’t deserve to be dropped for Jobe, more than serviceable and did a good job.

2 Likes

Was well worth his place tonight, won some centre clearances and got us going. It is baffling how he only gets his first senior game tonight. Would a strong rest of the season get him another year?

Was good. Stays.

Not very noticeable. Myers clearly belongs in the midfield so you’d hope woosha gives him middle time for the rest of the year.

No, it really isn’t.

bird is a tagger and did the job tonight. Will probably stay as green is out with an injury.

What the…?

I must have been watching a different game because I saw him pretty clearly and though he was very noticeable.

But then again, you also bagged Stewart’s game so you are not batting well.

I think there has been several chances to play him this year. He offers a point of difference and has plenty to offer.

2 Likes

Yes, there were chances, and yes he offers a point of difference. But no, it is not baffling.

Bird had a super hot run when he had 30+ touches in the VFL for about a month but didn’t get selected despite the clearance weakness the senior team had. He’s been mediocre since but then got selected. I’m happy for him because he played well tonight and is an upgrade on Howlett/Hocking imo. Does he keep Jobe out tho?

1 Like