#24 Nick Bryan - growing luxurious mullets til 2025

Because he’s not very good? Yet anyway…

1 Like

Shown precious little at Senior level.
Not enough aggression for a Ruckman, and zero forward craft.

He needs to improve.
He has time ( turns 22 later in the year)

4 Likes

Why recruit him

Athleticism, potential, nice tap ruckman at the lower level.

This question should be answered by regular VFL and training watchers though.
Im only guessing.

1 Like

Same reason we thought drafting Christian Bock and Sean Gregory were good ideas

I thought he showed a bit in his first game in 2021. He was playing first ruck that day.

He looked lost playing with Draper last year.

9 Likes

That was a promising debut against the Blues.

6 Likes

I’m hoping when Jones goes back to the VFL they play him as a second ruck. I think he would be good at it, I want him to play the John Barnes wingman type role.

He played well in the VFL, I sure hope he progresses well this year, because otherwise we will need to bring in another journeyman so we do not get caught out like a number of other teams have this season.

Because very few 21 year old rucks are. His ruck body is still developing and putting on weight.

He’s been very strong at VFL level in the ruck and shows superior tap-work to Draper. However, he doesn’t (yet?) have any forward craft and doesn’t get involved enough outside of the ruck contest. Which doesn’t make him a great second ruck option yet. These are areas a lot of young rucks struggle with as they build their engine and nouse.

There is a reason other clubs are sniffing around.

9 Likes

Agree that he doesn’t have any forward craft, but he definitely gets a decent amount of ball around the ground (35 disposals across the last two VFL games, and I’m sure he had several 20+ disposal games in the seconds last year). He’s also got very good skills for a ruckman; a couple of posters commented on his debut (vs Carlton in 2021) and he did some nice stuff with ball in hand that day (I seem to remember an outside of the boot pass from the centre bounce).

I’m annoyed he didn’t play yesterday.

5 Likes

He absolutely should have played yesterday.

The main reason is that IMO Phillips is more of a negater. Put him against a top ruck and he often has a pretty decent day bringing him down to his level. Put him against a weak ruck or back-up and he struggles to dominate as you’d think he should.

Whereas Bryan based on the last two VFL matches, put him on a weak ruck and he gives his midfielders an arm-chair ride. Geelong had a weak ruck group and Bryan probably could have exploited that better.

9 Likes

I think he will certainly play this week, I want Weideman 100% forward and Phillips needs a rest.

1 Like

Some highlights from his debut…

Pretty clear to see what he offers that Draper can’t. They could be very good together, I’m sure.

7 Likes

If Draper should model himself on Max Gawn, then Bryan should model himself on Tim English

4 Likes

I see a hell of a lot of Tim with Nick.

Been discussing this with my best mate and the skills ball in hand along with the tap work is rare in rucks.
Nick just needs to work his backside off in finding space for outlet kicks at half back, on the wings. Not necessarily pack marks but just presenting into space, that’s what English and in form Grundy do

10 Likes

I reckon he’s a chance for some games very soon.

2 Likes

Bryan has only played two games this year returning from injury. That could explain why he wasn’t selected against Geelong. He played well in both games, but he may not have been judged as physically ready.

With Phillips’ poor performance, I’m expecting Bryan to come in.

8 Likes

He’s been injured this year and played 1 1/2 VFL games, so wasn’t up to fitness

Would be a step back in development if he doesn’t get 7-10 games along side Draper this year, I think it would really bring Nick along.
He def should play against WC (provided NN isn’t back for them) and could really play next week also against Richmond who are also pretty thin in the ruck stocks. Perfect chance to get some games into him.

1 Like