#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

24 touches and a goal (could have easily been 3 goals), 5 tackles, 7 score involvements.

people judge him incredibly harshly.

he is doing exactly what everyone wants, more time in the middle and still kicking goals.

21 Likes

Should’ve kicked that goal in the last too. A nearly night for Jake

But boy, if Jake can have an interrupted pre season at the end of this year, look out comp

Love that

He is our best player. He does what our possession hogs can’t do. Not that I don’t like Parish and Merrett but Stringer is the package and if he can stay fit will be our best by far next season

If we could get an inside mid to play as good as he can, then this guy can go forward and dominate.

And commentators ‘the dusty role’ Farkin moss have been resting forward for decades.

Since talk of his contract have started making the news he seems to be playing out of skin. I thought he was very good last night again…backing up last weeks performance with another one against the league leaders. He keeps this up and he’ll get his money to feed his kids!!

1 Like

King’s summation of Stringer on The First Crack is absolutely spot on.

They also touched on Smith’s undiscipline.

What was it?

Damn I want to listen to this but I lost my Foxtel Go account the other day…

Not critical on the whole, just saying that he’s trying too hard to do it all himself, and thus ignoring team mates in better positions.

Pretty much saying he needs to trust his team mates more.

They showed the 3 incidences when he was running thru the middle…

1. 2nd qtr when he bombed from 60, we got the goal, but it was more luck when Jones just got the boot on it on the line.
    The replay shows Hooker in space just 25m ahead.
    Only required a chip kick and Hooker has a set shot from 35-40m.

2. 4th qtr kick from 60ish again when a diagonal hand pass to Hind releases him on the 50.
    Would have to hit the handball perfectly though.

3. Another poor kick I50 when he was clearly gassed.
    Perhaps needed to draw a player and release by hand.

6 Likes

Happy to time stamp all 3 if you wish ?

They do it in podcast form as well anyway so I’ll just listen to that, I assume its exactly the same

You really need to see the vision though.

Ok, go ahead

Apologies.
I’ve watched it back on The First Crack and they start discussing Jake at the 48min mark.
Unfortunately, the 3 examples they show the Countdown Clock is not visible, so I can’t give you exact times.

I do know No.1 was when Jones kicks his first, and 2&3 were in the last 10mins.

No problem, I will have a look elsewhere

If it’s the one I’m thinking of #3 was getting shoved in the back as (or a millisecond after) he kicked it from inside the square at right half forward and it mongrelled low and left into the forward pocket?

He was very fortunate on the first one, Jones bailed him out when Hooker was the clear option.

It wasn’t just Stringer though, I thought we missed multiple chances to handball on the overlap and force Melbourne to make decisions, instead we went long too often with the kick.

2 Likes

I’ve looked at it a few times now.
Pretty good pressure from Pickett who closed the space quickly and forced a rushed kick (no realistic HB option).
Jake just needed to hit the kick a little better to give his forward option a chance (I believe it was Draper).

I thought he played well, but that first incident stuck out to me watching live like dog’s balls.

Completely ignored Hooker who was free (his man moved off him to pressure Stringer) for a low % showtime shot at goal.

1 Like

Yes