#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

He had his top off in the change-rooms last Friday night after the game (Roving BT) and he didn’t look fat at all.

I think its more that he has an unusual body shape for an AFL football player. He doesn’t have that athletic wide shoulder narrow hip frame that most do.

He has narrow slopey shoulders and a small chest and all his bulk and power is in his ■■■■ and legs.

6 Likes

massive unit, which is why he’s such a good forward and can play tall and ruck

isn’t that why he’s “the package” ?

What bullshit.

Buddy has a big ■■■■, alway has.

There’s absolutely no reason for him to lose 5kgs. It’s not going to make him stronger and he will never become an inside midfielder (nor should he).

Wowser

Diggers approves of this statement.

1 Like

Yep, … he’s a classic pear shaper. Big butt, strong through the hips and legs, … hard to move.

1 Like

I would have liked to see him get a run through the midfield (not in the ruck), to try and counter our poor centre clearance work.

I know he’s not overly fit atm. But I would have liked to see him knock some hawks players over and burst through a pack from a the centre bounce.

I get what you’re saying, but you only need eyes to see he’s carrying extra weight, particularly around his midriff. You’re right though that I can’t really know the exact number he needs to get rid of, but I reckon 5 is a fair estimate.

He has the same body shape as this guy.

ga3

ga2

6 Likes

That was 30 years ago.

Yeah!!

Humans have out evolved that shape now!

6 Likes

No but the game sure has evolved.

You think players back then covered as much ground as quickly as they do now?

1 Like

I don’t think we can change his skeleton though, … you know?_

1 Like

He has the body shape of the best player of all time and you’re concerned about it?

3 Likes

FFS do you want me to post photos of the guy who played next to him - billy brownless. Players carried more weight back then. Forwards were stay at home forwards who didn’t defend. It’s not relevant to today’s running game.

We’re not talking about weight. We’re on about his shape, and that shape tends to look like there’s a bit of bulk.

He may have a touch extra, … but it’s not effecting him, … it’s 2 parts of fk all .

1 Like

It is effecting him! Take off the red and black goggles.

He’s slow.
He can’t cover as much ground as he used to at the bulldogs.
He’s not as explosive on the lead or bursting out of a pack as he used to be.
He’s not as strong as he could be if he was better conditioned. Have you seen his upper arms?

It’s a credit to him that he’s been as good as he’s been this year (very good) with these issues. But he could be better. Guy could honestly be a Top 10 player in the comp if he was as fit as most other players are.

3 Likes

I reckon if he worked a bit harder he could be taller too.

15 Likes

He’s obviously injured, and that’s likely not related to him being a fatarse*.

Having said that, he was clearly the least defined of all our squad (minus a couple novices, maybe) when he arrived from the vaunted Bulldogs.

*May not actually qualify as a fatarse.

We always knew that it would take him at least two preseasons to get into top shape. He wasn’t in good nick when he came to EFC. The club certainly knew this at the time.

Long term investment is long-term. He’s shown what he can do in bursts this year. I expect him to be in much better nick next year, and for his consistency and engine to improve accordingly.

4 Likes

The bolded is just outright crap. He’s covering far more ground than he ever has. And is stronger than he ever was at Footscray.

But you are right in saying he isn’t as fit as he could be. But everyone should realise he is transforming from an opportunistic half forward into a midfielder who spends time up forward. This won’t happen overnight. It takes time. He has made enormous progress with his fitness since he arrived at the club, and will continue to do so over the next couple of years. This is not fantasy land where everything happens instantly. This is real life where things take time. Jake is coming along beautifully, and if he keeps progressing at the rate he is, there is no reason he can’t be one of the best players in the comp in 2 - 3 years time. You need to get a bit of perspective.

20 Likes