#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

More Dusty, Danger & Shiel should be comparing against. Inside mids with pace & power.

At a guess would stack up physically to all of them, it’s just his tank that is an unknown at present.

I checked …

Stringer - 192cm, 92kg

Dusty - 187cm, 88kg
Danger - 189cm, 92kg
Shiel - 182cm, 82kg

For interests sake

Kennedy - 188cm, 94kg

Hence Woosh said he sees no reason Stringer can’t match it with the bigger inside mids of the comp. Imagine we could get him going head to head against Kennedy, physically matches up well and would leave him for dead pace wise.

7 Likes

People have said that Mutch is the big bodied midfielder type that we need to come on.

From everything that I’ve seen of him, he doesn’t play that way. He’s more of the outside/inside type that goes and wins it when he needs to, but mostly plays outside.

I don’t think you can change his game to pure inside, and a little bit outside.

The thing that Danger, Dusty and stringer all have is an aggressive streak. As soon as they get the ball they attack, whether somebody is in the way or not.

It would be very intimidating for opposing players.

The advantage that now brings for us is that the opposition coaches will now have to put in defensive structures to combat Stringer, allowing others to go about their thing.

He’s going to transform our midfield. I have no doubt about it.

4 Likes

DJR says he wants his chips back!!

1 Like

As long as he doesn’t put tomato sauce on his chips to allow opponents to ketch up to him.

11 Likes

The thing I most remember about Mutch at vfl games is the audible crunch as he throws himself into a contest. I have no doubt he’ll do well as an inside player once his body develops.

2 Likes

This will be jakes 6th preseason. However, i hope he starts his preseason at the club next week with the younger players to show 100% commitment

I assume that would be mandatory.

He’s running laps already so I suspect he will be trying to make a good impression early.

I’d rather be at training than running laps by myself.

Stallion won’t like it needs HOT CHIPS

1 Like

… is there another bontempelli?

1 Like

I’ll clarify my comment a bit first, by big stints I mean games where he has played more than a couple centre bounces and has genuinely had a few rotation there. I’m not concerned he doesn’t rack up 30 touches a game, like Rioli he doesn’t need to. And for a FP/HF I class Rioli to have big stints in the midfield.

I think you will find early game 2-7 in 2016 and again early this year he was tried there. Invariably the dogs forward line suffers and he is pushed back to FF at some point. The first kangas game this year is one you might want to check out.

I think you will find he was also moved in 2016/17 to a higher HF roll at times as well. I don’t believe the dogs have helped his game the way they play him.

The difference is essendon have one of the best forward lines in the AFL, so stringer can play as an inside mid without the forward line “suffering”

2 Likes

The differnce is Rioli is arguably the best at applying defensive pressure in the league. Stringer is, to put it kindly, some way off that level.

The last thing we need would be replacing one weak defender in the midfield with another.

We dont need to pidgeon hole Stringer and say he cannot do something in the future because of the past. Dare him to change the way he plays. I dont know how many times woosha has been criticised for never trying something different. I find negativity in this space a bit irksome.

7 Likes

Big indication if he is training with the 1st-4 year players. Any chance?

Find out tomorrow potentially as that’s when 1-4 year players return

Damn it. How many weeks out does that usually mean?

3 Likes

It sounds worse than it actually is.

1 Like

Knock to the calf