#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

I’ve always thought Bont was taller than that, around 195cm like Cripps (just checked, he’s 195cm). Also I’m shocked to learn that JPK isn’t even 190+ cm. He really looks taller than he is.

I find blind optimism irksome, for the ridiculous expectations it can set in some people’s heads.

For most it’s a temporary condition this time of year. See also drunkenness

On recent form you are absolutely correct, his defensive pressure is very poor. But I will caveat that with it depends on how he was asked to play. He is such a good ball player they may have encouraged him to be that early and worked the team/set up around that, or he wasn’t and they lost faith he could at all. Hard to know and is pure speculation.

Either way, a player that explosive and strong changed the way you play around the contest, Rioli has the explosive part but not the brute power, however when he plays in the middle he is very much a ball player rather than purely defensive.

I think if you put stringer in a defensive spot at the contest, say in the sweeper position at centre bounces he will naturally have more of a defensive mindset, he would turn any 50/50 on the defensive side in a positive clearance as he can get out of situation most can’t.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is allot depends on how you play him, and until 5 rounds in we are not going to know how much was a stringer issue and how much was a dogs coaching issue. IMHO It’s an exciting side issue to watch unfold next season.

It’s more than pure speculation - Beveridge made it abundantly clear he believed Stringer wasn’t working hard enough, a big part of why he put him up for trade.

Agree it will be interesting to watch. I just hope the same standards are applied to all players, and he doesn’t get different treatment as the big name recruit. IMO a few players were treated very kindly this year - and conversely some copped the rough end of the stick.

2 Likes

I suppose, the objective is to add some explosive pace/acceleration to what had been a fairly one paced midfield group. Along with his proven ball winning abilities.

I agree about the need to be accountable both ways and hopefully this skill is something Stringer will be able to add to his bow.

removed

Training starts Monday. I expect to see this guy trimmed down and in stunning nick ready for this pre-season. This will be the first indicator of how serious he is to re ignite his career.

4 Likes
Jake Stringer wants to start 2018 with Essendon in the best shape of his career

JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
38 minutes ago

NEW Bomber Jake Stringer wants to start next season in the best shape of his career after dropping as much as 4kg so far this pre-season.

Stringer, 23, was traded by Western Bulldogs in October after struggling to meet some of the club’s off-field expectations around preparation, rehabilitation and diet.

But the All-Australian forward and premiership star has knuckled down over his first month at Essendon in preparation for more time in the midfield next year.

The Herald Sun understand Stringer played at 92kg last season but is now weighing in about 88kg.

The goal kicker has done some extra boxing training away from the club since departing the kennel.

Fellow recruits Devon Smith (Greater Western Sydney) and Adam Saad (Gold Coast) have also presented in excellent shape as the Bombers look to break into the top-four next season.

Smith was hampered by a knee problem this year and missed selection in the Giants’ finals campaign but has undertaken a quad-strengthening program to help the clever ball winner start the 2018 season at full fitness.

He will continue on a modified training program before Christmas.

30 Likes

Oh boy

Fap fap fap

…you know what this means!

Ordinarily yes!

However he was passed fit to play in Giants prelim. So in this case it’s just about EFC making sure he cherry ripe for 2018

1 Like

I have full confidence in Justin Crow.

Thought what he did with the club last year was nothing short of miraculous

21 Likes

Fark yes great news.

4kg loss is huge!!!

Don’t mention the miracles… Gerard Healy will be probing us again…

4 Likes

lol, yeah I retract my statement.

That’s exactly the news we needed to hear after the trade went through.

A fit and firing Jakey Stringer to stick up the Doggies

Giggty

1 Like

Expect another puff piece this week when he gets a pb for the 2k.