#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

Probably why we got rid of Sam Hunt

2 Likes

Yeah, but he couldn’t punt.

The consequences were dire.

I don’t wanna bring the “Strng is the thing” thread into the gutter.

But:
If we do get a Hunt onto our list…
It’s a good thing Licca has retired.

3 Likes

Flabbier than Francis.

Injured.

Delist.

“Love comes in spurts (oh no, it hurts!)”

Richard Hell and the Voidoids

1 Like

Nah
We never get the big fish
Sack DUDoro

Fluffy

STRINGER TO SEE MORE TIME ON BALL SAYS COACH
BY JUSTIN TALENT 2 HOURS AGO

Essendon envisage new recruit Jake Stringer to spend significant periods of the game in midfield according to strength and conditioning coach Justin Crow.

The former Bulldog was traded to the Bombers in the 2017 NAB AFL Trade Period, and despite the 23-year-old spending the majority of his time at his former side up forward, Crow says further time in the middle of the ground is the long-term plan for the 89-gamer at Essendon.

“You can see he has a real nous in and around the contested parts of the game,” he told SEN Mornings.

“I think he was playing one short stint in midfield per quarter at the Bulldogs. Our ambition is that he could play two to three stints there with us.

“We’ll go on a journey with Jake to improve his fitness up to that point.”

Crow says the club have been impressed with Stringer’s attitude towards his first pre-season at his new home.

Stringer has struggled for consistent form since his breakout 2015 season, which saw him earn a spot on the All-Australian team, with off-field dramas also keeping the 2016 premiership player in the headlines over the past 12 months.

Essendon kick off their 2018 campaign against Adelaide at Etihad Stadium on Friday March 23.

Listen to Justin Crow chat with Michael Christian on SEN Mornings in the player below:

2 Likes

We’re taking him on a journey? I thought we had the best training facilities with the spongiest floors in the land?

no mention of his previous sins, shame on the justin crow.

When did Crowy oust Woosha?

Hadn’t heard about that.

Crowy can do it all mate

Mike Hunt would have been a marketing decision to consider.

Adam Cooney has urged former club Essendon to resist the temptation to play star recruit Jake Stringer predominately through the midfield.

Bombers strength and conditioning coach Justin Crow revealed this morning to SEN Mornings they envisaged the 23-year-old to spend significant game time in the middle, as they look to use his explosive breakaway speed.

The 2008 Brownlow Medallist believes Stringer may be exposed by the opposition the other way, via run and spread, and should be restricted to short cameos.

“I wouldn’t want him in the midfield too long,” Cooney said on SEN Drive.

“It’s probably the third year we’ve heard this. A couple of years the Bulldogs said it, ‘Jake’s come back in terrific shape, we want him to play more midfield time’.

“I think one stint, maybe two stints a quarter is max, and only three or four minutes, just to add that x-factor and burst through the midfield stoppage.

“I don’t see him as a genuine midfielder, certainly not a two-way running midfielder. I don’t think he’s got bursts of 8-9 minutes a quarter, because he would get exposed the other way.

Stringer recovered from a badly broken leg at junior level to be drafted with pick five in the 2012 Draft, and Cooney recalled how it had hampered his running in his early stages at the Western Bulldogs.

“I watched him run on the Alter-G treadmill and he was limped more than I did back in 2012, he looked horrendous,” he said.

“Even his first six months at the footy club every time we would warm up, it would take him 15-20 minutes to be able to run fluently, he had a limp up.”

He said while Stringer is running better now, a greater workload may place him at major risk of injury, particularly as he tore his hamstring twice in 2017.

“He’s a lot better now, but I wonder if you have a significant injury like that, if you’re sometimes sore in one leg you change your running gait…which puts pressure on other parts of your body,” Cooney said.

“I just worry if that could be a problem with Jake.”

Woulent it be better to get him as fit as possible and test him out and find out what he is indeed capable of ?

Whats cooneys relationship ro stringer ?? Seems very protwcrive of him.

I tend to agree that in theory he coule play the dusty role, mosyly forward but burst through the midfield, but surely you at least try to find out if he can sustain it for longer periods first.

I’m not concerned.

We have Crowey best in the business!

He will get Stringer up to the required levels to have the impact we need in midfield. The way rotations are these days it’s not like he will spend the entire game there.

5 Likes

Looking forward to the gameday threads already.

We’re getting monstered in the middle, throw Stringer in there FFS!
Can’t run defensively, we’re getting torn apart on the outside, get Stringer out of there, FFS!

16 Likes

Even if he can only run in bursts initially still going to have more impact that Jobe & Myers, and Hep for that matter later in season as he has pace.

Again not concerned. Given stated he lost 4kgs already clearly focussed on improving his fitness. The man has a serious point to prove to many.

Im looking forward to the game vs the Dogs. round 3 after a trip to Perth.

Listening to Crowy interview SEN 19-12-17 and he said that at the dogs Stringer would have 1 midfield rotation.
At the Bombers we intend on him having 2-3 midfield rotations. They are preparing him for more midfield time.

Zaharakis & Myers training well Great continuity in Training - Young players - Mutch, Begley, Clarke building robustness and ability to cope with AFL football.

2 Likes

Coons, early in his media career, is trying to bring something different to the table. At this stage his insights as a player just out of the game are good but he still needs to work on his opinions.

It almost comes across like he wants to offer an opposing view even if that view has little or no merit. I’m sure he’ll get the balance right eventually.

Re: Stringer - drawing comparisons to his Dog days hold little relevance to his new career at Essendon. Different environment, facilities, coaches, players, supporters, expectations gives him a great opportunity to relaunch his career.

The guy has 2 kids. He’s been through the wringer. He’s growing up and sees a great opportunity to make a name for himself for all the right reasons. I fully expect Jake to become a bone fide champion of Essendon by the time he hangs up his boots. Lots to be excited about.

3 Likes