#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

I don’t think he will be anything more than an impact / burst midfielder and that’s OK.

He is a see ball, get ball kind of player who could have a huge impact at a few key stoppages in a quarter, but I don’t see him playing big minutes through the midfield in general play. I don’t think he has the spacial awareness or two-way running in him (the latter can obviously be developed). The bulk of his minutes will be half forward, I reckon.

■■■■■■ excited to see what he can do though, he will add another dimension (and unpredictability) to a forward line which is already brimming with talent and firepower. I just don’t see how you match up on him when already dealing with Joe, Cale, Raz, Tippa, Stewart and Green (not all in there at once).

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Richmond said that to their players after finishing 13th in 2016.

Some times you just back them in to give them confidence.

What has happened in the past doesn’t dictate the future.

This. Was terrible for us last year. A liability

Think he’s got spacial awareness in spades, 2 way running can be learned and earned

1 Like

Or may not.

Glad to read this. :muscle::+1:
Training consistently …
https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/uploads/default/original/2X/2/22e788700aa6748547199448c13d2a75384eb7ae.jpg

From Ron Reed , Sportshounds.

WESTERN Bulldogs legend Doug Hawkins has potted his former club for getting rid of supremely talented but controversial young star Jake Stringer, a key contributor to the historic 2016 premiership.

Stringer, 23, will play for Essendon next year after falling out with his original club, especially coach Luke Beveridge, over a perceived lack of commitment and off-field issues that involved separating from his partner and mother of his two children.

“Stringer, why would you sell him – he has the potential to be one of your best players for another 10 years,” Hawkins said. Speaking at former Carlton star Percy Jones’s fortnightly Friday lunch at the North Fitzroy Arms pub, Hawkins said that rather than dismiss Stringer the Bulldogs should “just get him back on track.” He named Tiger Dustin Martin and Geelong and GWS Giant Steve Johnson as examples of players who had overcome behavioural problems early in their careers to become superstars. “Stringer will be fantastic for Essendon,” he predicted.

3 Likes

Thanks Doug. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Feels a bit like when we got Goddard… couldn’t quite believe a superstar had actually come to the club. Even more exciting this time because of his age and hopefully we are now free of the ‘stuff’.

I think there is still some bombers fans who are going to surprised just how good this guy is, especially if he gets back to his best.

Can’t wait to see him forward/mid/wherever… reckon the change of scenery will do him good and from all reports he is getting it together off the field. Hopefully Dogs went through the worst of it and we are going to benefit.

Looking forward to the first F50 stoppage when Stringer bursts through, grabs the ball and flicks it deftly sideways to Fanta who sends a dribbler through for his fourth goal… magic!

7 Likes

I’m more looking forward to seeing him with an opponent between him and the goal and literally running over the top of him before slamming it into the fence so hard the goal ump has to dive out of the way.

10 Likes

EFA

2 Likes

fixed

I nominate Rance as the bulldozee.

7 Likes

Has nothing on hurls one on that north player.

with dempsey2ryder’s commentary ‘BANG NAILS THE ■■■■’

someone needs to resurrect this footage

The roar when this bloke kicks one from the center square on Anzac day.

8 Likes
Stringer set for dual roles AFL.com.au 12 January 2018 2:43 PM

Recruit Jake Stringer is poised to be more than just a pinch-hitting midfielder for his new club Essendon this year.

Stringer’s Bombers teammate Michael Hurley told reporters on Friday the ex-Western Bulldog had completed most of his pre-season with the midfield group as his transition to big-bodied onballer continues.

Coach John Worsfold has previously discussed the potential of the 2015 All Australian forward splitting his time between the midfield and attack if his fitness levels improved.

Stringer, who cut short an overseas holiday last year to make an early impression at Essendon, has privately set a goal of emulating Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin’s impact in dual roles.

“He’s done the majority of his pre-season with the midfield group, which has been great,” Hurley said of Stringer.

"He’s really explosive, his power around the ball and his strength and just his size will help us.

“Some of the midfielders are on the smaller side, so to throw that big body in there will be great.”

The offshoot of Stringer’s looming positional timeshare is that star swingman Cale Hooker looks certain to remain up forward alongside Coleman Medal contender Joe Daniher.

Hurley does not expect to have Hooker’s support down back, meaning Michael Hartley, Patrick Ambrose, Mitch Brown and possibly Jordan Ridley will be the other tall options.

The dual All Australian seems most excited about the recruitment of former Gold Coast speedster Adam Saad, who will add a new dimension to the Bombers’ half-back line.

Hurley himself has recovered from hip and wrist surgery, which restricted him to straight-line running before Christmas, and has rejoined the main training group.

“(I did) a lot of running pre-Christmas – I got the loads in with that – but it was more so the change of direction and the contact that I was missing out on,” he said.

“I’m ramping that up at the moment, so hopefully that builds up in the next month.”

Hurley and Essendon work closely with Challenge chief executive David Rogers, a partnership that includes the annual Clash for Cancer game, which will be held for the 13th time in 2018.

The Bombers presented Rogers with $4400 from last year’s Clash for Cancer jumper auction.

But the relationship goes deeper than money, with Hurley and his teammates also spending time with cancer-stricken children.

“I’ve had a relationship with Michael for quite a while now and he’s been to hospital numerous times and spent a lot of time with kids,” Rogers said.

"I think people take for granted that football players should be able to do that.

“It’s a skill, and we’re very fortunate to have a lot of the Essendon players who are learning how to do that and very well.”

1 Like

Is that like the 9th article to say exactly the same thing about Stringer, … or the 10th??

3 Likes

Does it matter? its ■■■■■■■ off season.

2 Likes

I’m glad someone (SG) bumped this thread, I kinda forgot we got this guy.

1 Like