#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

Confirms that Twomey doesn’t read blitz.

Or he does and he’s just trolling the shi t out of us!

Hey Cal.

2 Likes

Post the article

Woosha raises the bar article on the essendonfc website

Buns and scones…

It’s quite likely Jake was drifting in mediocrity mode at the Bulldogs, and the fact he thought that he had had a rough year would excuse a sub par 2017, only to be shocked by Bevo’s wake up call.

It may well have been a fair call for both the bulldogs and Jake that Bevo made, knowing that Jake would struggle to fulfill his potential without such a big kick.

The problem for the Bulldogs though, was Bevo’s lack of subtlety. He could have had a quiet discussion with Jake, letting him know that he thought his life was trending south and that he thought he was dragging some teammates down with him, and that a change in environment would benefit both, especially if Jake could command a fair price.

Fortunately for us, and unfortunately for the Bulldogs, there was no subtlety and Jake got shitcanned in the mainstream media and drove down interest and his price.

Was this all a tactic of Connors to get Jake where he wanted to go, or was it a hamfisted attempt by the doggies to excuse dumping him without considering what that would do to his price?

Anyhow, if Jake has a big year and a big career with EFC, let me just say, thank you Bevo!

7 Likes

I think the problems at the Doggies were greater than what we were led to believe, Stringer wasn’t alone, Libba was also lambasted. We don’t know how many others, but Bevo could have seen/identified Jake as the cancer infecting the team and decided that amputation was called for. Cutting out the root cause, to save the rest, harsh, even ruthless, but from that perspective understandable. Their loss is our gain.

3 Likes

I’d be shocked if Bevo’s scorched earth conversation with Stringer was the first time he’d talked to Stringer about his performance and behaviour. I’m sure the bulldogs had probably moved beyond frustration at their lack of ability to change him and it was, fortunately for us, the last time Bevo talked to him about it.

5 Likes

Say what you like about Bevo, but he will remain a premiership coach that managed to pull a pissant club out of the mire.

If Stringer wins a flag with us, then sure, it may be remembered by some Bulldogs fans as a bad thing for them. But if he doesn’t, they probably will see it as a good move in hindsight, if not already.

Stringers issues were never going to show up short-term. It is medium to long-term when we will see if he has changed / matured.

7 Likes

I love how we throw the term “pissant club” around like we’ve won a final in the last 13 years.

I can’t play football to save my life, but I can still call a ■■■■ footballer ■■■■. If people could only talk from a position of strength the world would be a very quiet place.

1 Like

He should be applauded for leading them to a flag, about as much as Gieshen and the umpiring department…

But it remains to be seen whether he’ll leave any lasting influence at the club. They’re still a pissant amateur organization. As evidenced by the way they handled the Stringer trade last year.

I always like the way an F111 pilot disconnected from terrain following. Just tap the stick to roll causing an auto 5g pull-up.

Stringer has definitely had a JSF style entrance into Essendon. Plagued by problems and insane promise in the early years yet with an underlying capability we haven’t seen since Ablett Snr. Can only hope he has as good a year as the Block 3 JSFs did a red flag last year.

This is giving me thoughts of Easter, Jesus the saviour, vengeful deities and tasty bread treats.

1 Like

He’s only 23, turning 24 in April. So still a young one. But to me he comes across as someone who has been around a lot longer and is more like a Dustin Martin ( 26, turning 27 in June). To get Stringer at this age, leading into his peak years, makes this (potentially) a massive trade for us.

12 Likes

Can’t believe it hasn’t been said yet.
Maybe I’m just getting old.

But the Stinger trade seems like a total Sheeds move.

1 Like

Let’s hope it turns out better than Doc Wheildon did.

2 Likes

Could be Wheildon, could be Barnard.
Won’t be Pike.

Sheedy would have chased Dusty harder a few years back, and probably would have drafted Cousins, too.

#BringBackSheeds

1 Like

:wink: