#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

Do it only if pick 2 will be better than Hooker.

No one is this draft is anywhere near better than Hooker. Hooker at his best is probably the best KP player in the league.

Wow some of the crap that gets posted here…such short memories.

We haven’t had a functional forwardline since the early to mid 2000’s. We finally look to be putting one together and now we want to reshuffle things again.

1. Cale commands respect from a key defender, certainly no coincidence that Daniher’s output has improved.
  2. He had an off night playing on one of the best defenders in the league. It happens.
  3. It wasn’t our forwardline or defense that lost us the game last night. The midfield was belted and a number of others were down on their usual impact too.
  4. Anyone saying we overpaid and should’ve let him walk. Do you have any idea about team sports? The Cale signing was a huge change in momentum for this club. It was his decision that lead to a host of others recommitting. If he walked then it’s very likely Hurls would’ve walked too, and most likely would’ve been wearing opposing colours on Anzac Day.
    Yes he is a better defender, but until we have another option up forward we need him there for our structure.
13 Likes

Everyone is entitled to an opinion although not everyone has to agree with it. My own is Hooker is a heart & soul type player so when you lose such a player, a piece of your fabric goes with him. I’m glad he stuck with us in a time when the easiest thing in the world would’ve been to jump ship.

I really think when we were forced to rid ourselves of Blumfield, Heffernan, Caracella, Moorcroft & Hardwick at the end of 2001-02, this is partly what happened to our club, especially in the Hardwick case. None of them wanted to leave but were forced to and intangibles aside from on field performance are hard to measure until they’re gone.

12 Likes

He wasn’t the reason we lost

Like always it’s the midfield

2 Likes

Was not the reason we lost last night but having said that… my god was he awful!

It was as if he had cooking oil on his palms all night

I hope that was an absolute one off and he returns to his best asap

3 Likes

I was a bit surprised Hooker played given the big corkie he got last week - and he obviously wasn’t moving freely last night. I suspect the coaches gambled that at least 80% fit Hooker would make Rance accountable as a deep back, and free up JD.

But it shouldn’t have made that much difference to his hands - a few dropped sitters were very costly to us being able to maintain scoreboard pressure.

3 Likes

TBF, I think 3 he put down were virtually on his bootlaces, & was thinking it was slightly poor delivery, … but now you mention the corkie, … perhaps he just wasn’t able to get that extra yard needed when leading??

I would have moved Hooker straight to Riewoldt at Half time.
But I understand Worsfold’s reasons for not making a change. I just thought it would be worth throwing him back for 5 minutes in the 3rd just to get some hands on the footy, especially when we were under siege.

I know I made it at the time and I also said that if he left there is no way we could ever criticise him. But he chose to stick with the club despite what the club did to him and it probably helped others stay.

He has been fine as a forward, certainly played the role better than Hurley would and has helped daniher and the smalls a lot more. Averaging nearly 2 goals a game, isn’t he?

1 Like

I like Hooker forward structurally but he is a deadset liability when kicking for goals. I’d rather the ball in Joe’s hands when lining up than Cale.
We have two out and out guns up forward who struggle with conversion and we still don’t have a goal kicking coach. That last goal he missed deflated the whole team and should be kicked 99 times out of 100 for a forward

4 Likes

If there’s one bloke on our list that I would expect to bounce back after a poor one, it’s Chook. He was ropable after the game, written all over his face.

1 Like

Smashed by a very good opponent.

Honestly, after the week of ■■■■■■■■ last week about how over rated Rance is, then the guy plays a blinder and plays a big part in stopping our forward line from working, and you all lose your ■■■■.
Just couldn’t be the teeniest possible chance that any of you are wrong, could it?

Hooker will be fine, he’s done his job most weeks, he just got beaten by a better player. Deal with it.

7 Likes

Rance was fantastic but that doesn’t excuse Cale for dropping some absolute sitters. He would be the first to admit he was poor and I still maintain he was far from 100% fit

6 Likes

Good luck lol.

2 Likes

Rance is a gun, no doubt

But Hookers game was dead set terrible.
Dropped 3 easy marks, two in the 50 and the other which gave them the sealer.

On top of that he missed an easy set shot which if he had of quickly turned and looked he had Green running into an open goal

Credit to Rance but I could have played on Hooker and he still would have stunk up the joint

1 Like

It’s pretty funny. I tried to tell them that Rance is legit… But no, secretly I’m a Richmond supporter apparently.

Having an even and unbiased view is surplus to requirements around here.

3 Likes

Come off it he is nowhere near the best KP in the league.

I really love the bloke and the fact he has really embraced the change of role without any complaining and it trying to be the best he can be for this team. I’ve been one saying Hooker should go back, and no doubt him being forward is robbing Peter to pay Paul. But when you analyse it, what he is doing is minimum taking a good defender and we are seeing the benefit with Joey playing the way he has. Robbo’s suggestion this morning to play Bellchambers as a forward/ruck to allow Hooker to play back does have some merit, but then could that also affect Joe in denying him a chance to have a run on the ball? He has been quite dynamic in that role.

That does not explain why he was having trouble keeping his feet and falling over and that was before the rain. Please explain.

Hooker’s two worst games for the year, were on Rance and Talia.

It’s not like he’s getting done over by duds.

8 Likes